Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2014 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Leaked

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-13, 07:44 PM
imherenow
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

ya i am not sure i like it yet...
Old 01-29-13, 08:12 PM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by spwolf
i like two big screens and leather around it but then key going into dash in 2014 car with gigantic screens? maybe extra option? :-)

otherwise dash looks like from a boat.. nice.
Haha spwolf

Apparently, when I ask some of the old folks around (which are probably one of the target segments for the new S class), they find more pleasure in turning the key instead of pushing a button when starting their car.

But nevertheless, for us modern high-tech peeps, a start-stop button will be available obviously.

Not sure though how MB charges for that (if any)
Old 01-29-13, 08:15 PM
LexFather

If that was a Lexus you all would be up in arms. I am stunned, those 2 screens really are throwing me off here.. Looks like an interior from the 1970s or 1980s Imperial/Towncar/Cadillac. I am sure it will be built well but...I don't get it at all...

Throwback to old SL?

Current

Old 01-29-13, 09:19 PM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

@Mike

I'm getting the feeling that MB wanted to go back to pleasing its old customers (the older generation)

But this only applies I think for the regular models (MB wouldn't be stupid enough to do this kind of thing for the AMG version)
Old 01-29-13, 10:20 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

the keyless go is about 900 dollars. the key does not change in size or shape or design. The great thing is that even with keyless go, you can still use the key to start the car by removing the start/stop button. It pops off
Old 01-30-13, 04:35 AM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Looks very dated to me as well... A lot is still covered and needs to be seen, but so far this does not look like a great execution to me. This makes me like the new LS even more now
Old 01-30-13, 04:58 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 108 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackraven
Haha spwolf

Apparently, when I ask some of the old folks around (which are probably one of the target segments for the new S class), they find more pleasure in turning the key instead of pushing a button when starting their car.

But nevertheless, for us modern high-tech peeps, a start-stop button will be available obviously.

Not sure though how MB charges for that (if any)
yeah, but will those old school folks like two huge screens? they probably wont know how to operate it.
Old 01-30-13, 05:00 AM
rogers2
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I guess I’m the buyer MB is aiming for I luv having extra stuff. If I’m going to pay 100k for a car I want everything and more. Now days an EX Honda Accord has everything a typical Benz or Lexus has in it so to stand out luxury car companies got step it up on everything. As far as the interior design I think Benz is trying to blend all their previous design together which is fine with me.

Honestly what they should have done is improve on the Maybach design and call it the S class. The currently S class without the AMG does look a little plain Jane but with the AMG kit it’s still knocking off every competition IMO.
Old 01-30-13, 05:43 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
i like two big screens and leather around it but then key going into dash in 2014 car with gigantic screens? maybe extra option? :-)

otherwise dash looks like from a boat.. nice.
I'm a fan of the S Class but that dash design is very odd.
Also agree on the no push button start and I doubt it's an option.
You have to take the key out of your pocket and use it.Doesn't make sense on a $100K+ car.
Old 01-30-13, 07:39 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
I'm a fan of the S Class but that dash design is very odd.
Also agree on the no push button start and I doubt it's an option.
You have to take the key out of your pocket and use it.Doesn't make sense on a $100K+ car.
You doubt it's an option? Why would Mercedes offer it as an option on every single car they make and then not offer it on the S-class?
Old 01-30-13, 08:43 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackraven
@Mike

I'm getting the feeling that MB wanted to go back to pleasing its old customers (the older generation)

But this only applies I think for the regular models (MB wouldn't be stupid enough to do this kind of thing for the AMG version)
I thought the interior difference of AMG's are mostly more carbon fibre/aluminium instead of wood ?
Old 01-30-13, 08:48 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
You doubt it's an option? Why would Mercedes offer it as an option on every single car they make and then not offer it on the S-class?
Yes I do think they will have start/stop button for the higher models, maybe the car in the picture is a diesel or S280(300,whatever) model intended mostly for taxi companies ?
Old 01-30-13, 08:57 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
A $900 option is nuts.
I didn't know it was an option and shouldn't be on any model.Especially an S Class.You agree?
Old 01-30-13, 09:05 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 108 Likes on 79 Posts

it is especially crazy since in pic we have top spec model with leather dash but nope, no smart key.
i cant imagine buying IS without smart key, let alone $100k car.
Old 01-30-13, 09:10 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
I thought the interior difference of AMG's are mostly more carbon fibre/aluminium instead of wood ?
Yup, or very dark wood.

Shape and layout don't change.

Quick Reply: 2014 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Leaked