Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Camaro ZL1 Financing Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-12, 11:26 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by NYlexus
I am curious to find out if this deal makes sense. I know ultimately it is my money and my decision but CL has never directed me to the wrong place before when it comes to cars so doing the same again.

I am really tired of the Camry and need to ignite my car passion and this is ONLY car that is doing it for me right now due to its LOOKS and POWER

Thoughts?

Thanks!
Well, IMO, little about this car itself (never mind the $700-month-deal) does make sense, especially as a daily-driver. By your own admission, for reasons of your own passion, you are plunking down a good ***** of your hard-earned monthly income for what is essentially an overpowered muscle/pony car meant for little else than dry-pavement straight-line drag races...although, admittedly, the new Camaros do handle and brake much better than the originals. Still, this is not a car that is suited for bad weather, or (with stock tires) wet/slick pavement. And what is insurance going to run on a car like this?.....though the fact that you are married might lower it some. I also find the Camaro's tiny slit-windows and outward-visibility one of the poorest of any mass-produced car.

Now....I'm not saying don't do it. I personally think that there are better ways to address a mid-life crisis (if you are in that age-group). But, as Josh (ArmyofOne) says, if you are sure this is the car you want, and can afford the payment, go for it. But just think about what you're actually buying before you do.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-24-12 at 03:01 PM.
Old 11-22-12, 07:54 PM
Mortis101
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks all for the comments. Few thoughts.

-I appreciate the concerns but I am in complete clarity of Down payment vs Trade Value (KBB or not) vs loan terms etc.

-I should be ashamed of my self if i buy something out of my means. Not sure why ppl put themselves in debt for pleasure. Not the case. I can afford this thing like the MB now and cpl of Lexuses before.

I guess the goal of the post of was to get some feedback on the cost of the car, dealer tactics, options available and opinions etc.

Parting picture... (not mine but damn I love this sinister look (sorry Mustang dude)

If it is meant to be...it'll be mine.

Thanks all.
That does look mean. Fortunately I'm not one of those Mustang guys that can't appreciate anything else. I'd definitely roll in a ZL1, however, why settle for 580 HP when you could have 662? J/K, just bustin' your chops.

Good luck with your decision.
Old 11-23-12, 11:20 AM
NYlexus
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Now....I'm not saying don't do it. I personally think that there are better ways to address a mid-life crisis (if you are in that age-group). But, as Josh (ArmyofOne) says, if you are sure this is the car you want, and can afford the payment, go for it. But just think about what you're actually buying before you do.
Well i guess I never correlated buying a bad *** racer muscle car to having a mid life crisis. I'm 33, not balding and/or fat and have a very satisfying career that pays well.

I do appreciate the comments though. As a complete 180, I will be visiting the BMW dealership to check out the 5 series M sport today.

Thanks.
Old 11-24-12, 09:14 AM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

If money is not an issue buy it, enjoy it, you don't live forever
Old 11-24-12, 09:29 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Old 11-24-12, 10:11 AM
Boostd
Driver

I agree with mmarshall. My wife wanted to buy one of these so bad, not the ZL1 but SS. So I rented one for her to drive on a weekend getaway to the mountains. After the first hour of driving, she almost ran into 2-3 cars on the passenger side since the visibility/blind spots are probably the worst I have ever encountered in my driving days. Needless to say, I drove the car the rest of the weekend and myself while just merging lanes almost ran into a truck that was right along side of me. I didn't even see it. Personally, I think the entire passenger side of that car is a blind spot. I won't even talk about how fun they are to back up in tight areas. Yea, they look cool, but I hated it. Also the interior is really bland IMO. When I got back in my IS350, I realized how good our cars are for visibility purposes. My wife hasn't mentioned a Camaro since. Good luck with your decision.
Old 11-24-12, 03:15 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Well i guess I never correlated buying a bad *** racer muscle car to having a mid life crisis. I'm 33, not balding and/or fat and have a very satisfying career that pays well.
Yes....Mid-life crises usually start a few years later than that.

Anyhow, I'm glad you've been successful in life, and can enjoy some fruits of your labor.

I do appreciate the comments though. As a complete 180, I will be visiting the BMW dealership to check out the 5 series M sport today.
An M-Sport 5-series, of course, is also a good chunk of cash, but, in the end, I think you will like its driving-dynamics more than a Camaro (and you'll sure see out of one better) . You might (?), though, find the BMW folks a little more snobbish in their personality than at the typical Chevy-store. That used to be the case big-time (an aristocratic attitude at upmarket German-brand dealerships).........but, fortunately, that seems to be changing now as the whole industry becomes more competitive.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-24-12 at 03:18 PM.
Old 11-24-12, 05:36 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

I don't know if their attitudes are changing or not, but we just completed shopping for a new car, we were in a minimum of two each Audi, BMW and MB dealerships during the search.

I have to say that we didn't have a bad experience in any of them. The sales reps we dealt with were knowledgeable, accomodating and cordial. My wife, who hates to car shop was comfortable in each. Were we lucky? Probably, but it was a positive experience.
Old 11-24-12, 06:22 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
I don't know if their attitudes are changing or not, but we just completed shopping for a new car, we were in a minimum of two each Audi, BMW and MB dealerships during the search.

I have to say that we didn't have a bad experience in any of them. The sales reps we dealt with were knowledgeable, accomodating and cordial. My wife, who hates to car shop was comfortable in each. Were we lucky? Probably, but it was a positive experience.
Probably more than just luck. You and your wife are just experiencing the new realities of an age where dealerships, in general, can no longer afford to mistreat customers. Every once in a while, especially in the high-end German dealerships, you may, on an off-chance, run into some sales or service people who are unfriendly, but, today, that is the exception rather than the norm.
Old 11-24-12, 10:44 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

all Im going to say is previously owned GTR. Better car, better performance, and better daily drivability. The GTR is an everyday super car