Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota Confirms Five Major Launches Coming Next Year

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-12, 08:37 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by 84Cressida
I also hate the BS "Toyota is known for building blandly styled cars". Yeah, cause Chevrolet, Honda, Hyundai, Ford, and Kia just oooze "excitment", right?
well, those brands do at least have or have had offerings that are definitely not bland - respectively, corvette, s2000, veloster/genesis-coupe, mustang, soul/optima...

it's not b.s. in that even toyota themselves have said they needed to step it up design-wise, and that's why we now have the (awesome) fr-s, the new avalon, and no doubt more 'excitement' to come. it's always a balance to not alienate traditional conservative-taste (not talking politics, lol) buyers and i'm sure toyota will strike the balance right. having the 3 brands helps them segment it all anyway.

anyway, great news - toyota is on a roll! what i'd love to see is a corolla or similar sized car that blows away the hyundai accent/elantra duo. plus a small ute to compete with sportage / santa fe. the new 2013 hyundai santa fe is really nice.
Old 11-15-12, 09:20 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
well, those brands do at least have or have had offerings that are definitely not bland - respectively, corvette, s2000, veloster/genesis-coupe, mustang, soul/optima....
and just to add to the "not bland - but strange" ... HHR, SSR, Thunderbird, Element, Crosstour lol
Old 11-15-12, 10:59 AM
84Cressida
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
well, those brands do at least have or have had offerings that are definitely not bland - respectively, corvette, s2000, veloster/genesis-coupe, mustang, soul/optima...

it's not b.s. in that even toyota themselves have said they needed to step it up design-wise, and that's why we now have the (awesome) fr-s, the new avalon, and no doubt more 'excitement' to come. it's always a balance to not alienate traditional conservative-taste (not talking politics, lol) buyers and i'm sure toyota will strike the balance right. having the 3 brands helps them segment it all anyway.

anyway, great news - toyota is on a roll! what i'd love to see is a corolla or similar sized car that blows away the hyundai accent/elantra duo. plus a small ute to compete with sportage / santa fe. the new 2013 hyundai santa fe is really nice.
Oh okay, so I guess the Supra, Celica, MR2, 2000GT, Cressida, AE86, and Corolla XRS are bland now right?

The comment was BS. Period.
Old 11-15-12, 04:20 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Oh okay, so I guess the Supra, Celica, MR2, 2000GT, Cressida, AE86, and Corolla XRS are bland now right?

I am beginning to think it is in Autoblog's spelling and grammar-checker. Whenever the writer types in "toyota", their word processor instantly replaces it with "bland Toyota".

Here is my thought on "bland Toyotas"...

Toyotas and (Lexi) are bland because nothing stands out on their models. Why does nothing stand out? Because EVERYTHING -- every feature and every component -- works so smoothly and works so well together with every other feature and part that it all blends together into one perfectly refined BLAND car.
Old 11-16-12, 09:35 AM
LexFather

Thank you. Sure the Camry might be bland but it is not the only car they have sold. Whats funny is

"omg Toyota bland, me hate"
"omg Toyota trying to be exciting, that is dumb"

Old 11-19-12, 07:36 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 108 Likes on 79 Posts

i found the reference, it was from Bob Carter, 5 models were Toyota.

Toyota will launch redesigns of the Avalon and Avalon Hybrid full-sized sedans in December, followed next year by redesigns of the RAV4 and Highlander crossovers, Tundra full-sized pickup and Corolla compact sedan. A midcycle update to the 4Runner also is planned.

"With the new products coming, our volume will go up, our share will go up," Carter said. While not giving a market share target, he said, "We will sustain in excess of 15 percent."

The six car and light-truck models to be replaced are on track to produce sales of about 760,000 in 2012. In 2007 -- in a much bigger market -- the same six accounted for 1.03 million.

Read more: http://www.autonews.com/article/2012...#ixzz2CjJwqadt
Old 11-19-12, 08:32 PM
84Cressida
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I sure hope the mid-cycle refresh for the 4Runner includes an interior refresh, but I'm not holding my breath.
Old 11-19-12, 09:13 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

i mentioned almost all currently available models of those other brands, while all of those models you mention have been gone for what, a decade or more? so during that decade, toyota has indeed been stunningly bland. the bean counters were firmly in charge, and when those bean counters eventually made them the new GM, with boring AND cheap looking cars, they took a step back, and have been slowly upgrading interiors, designs, and adding exciting new models.

although it always takes a while in the car business or in any large industry, toyota has been turning it around relatively quickly, and impressively in the past 6-7 years. the positive trends is showing no signs of slowing down which is great.