Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MM Condensed-Review: 2017 Kia Cadenza

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-16, 03:20 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts
Default MM Condensed-Review: 2017 Kia Cadenza

By request, a condensed-review of the new 2017 Kia Cadenza.

http://www.kia.com/us/en/vehicle/cadenza/2017

IIN A NUTSHELL: Competent, well-built, and often overlooked among its peers.

CLOSEST AMERICAN-MARKET COMPETITORS: Hyundai Azera (soon to be discontinued), Buick LaCrosse, Toyota Avalon, Lexus ES350, Lincoln MKZ, top-line versions of the Chevrolet Impala, and lower-line versions of the Volvo S90.

OVERVIEW:

The first-generation Cadenza was introduced, in 2013-14, as an updated, more modern replacement to the stylish but somewhat archaic Kia Amanti. The Amanti was comfortable and smooth-riding, but (in its initial version, at least) had a suspension and steering system that was so flabby that its gross understeer and body roll basically made it corner on its door-handles....it actually scared me on a fairly tight corner the first time I sampled one. Consumer Reports, I remember, proclaimed it the worst-handling modern sedan they had experienced...I'd place it a close second to the first-generation Buick Roadmaster, which was similiarly-sprung, but much larger and heavier.

The second-generation Amati firmed things up a little (at the cost of some ride comfort), but neither version sold well, as the public seemed to have trouble associating the name Kia with luxury sedans (it still does, to an extent). So, after a few more years, Kia gave up and simply created an all-new series to replace it....the Cadenza. The first-generation Cadenza was well-built, nice and plush inside, and generally refined, though its ride/handling combination, like with Hyundai's first-generation Genesis, fell a little short of some of the competition. It, too, like its Amanti precedessor, was not a particularly good seller, and collected more dust on the dealer-lots than it actually did on the road. So, of course, its days, too, were numbered....but Kia, nevertheless, decided to carry on with the nameplate anyway.

So....enter the all-new, second-generation, 2017 Cadenza. For 2017, the Cadenza comes in three basic trim levels....Premium ($31,990), Technology ($38,990), and Limited ($44,390). All versions come with standard FWD, a 3.3L V6, of 290 HP/253 ft-lbs. of torque, and an 8-speed Sport-Shift automatic. Unlike the Lincoln MKZ and Buick LaCrosse, no AWD is offered. Unfortunately, labor-strikes in Korea in both the trucking and shipping industries delayed the export of a number of new 2017 vehicles produced in that country, including the Cadenza, so its release here in the U.S. is currently running a little later than planned.

As I write this, shipping and trucking strikes in South Korea are still preventing the export of a number of new Kia and Hyundai products built there. But a local Kia shop, here, did manage to get a base-level 2017 Premium model.....gray with black leather interior, so I went and checked it out while I had the chance. It listed for an (IMO) reasonable 37K, considering what you got.

MODEL REVIEWED: 2017 Kia Cadenza Premium

BASE PRICE: $31,990

OPTIONS:

Luxury Package (Includes Harmon-Kardin stereo and Voice-Command NAV): $3000

Panoramic Sunroof Package: $1000

Cargo Net: $50

Wheel Locks: $55

Bumper Applique (which is nothing but a logo/decal): $75

DESTINATION/FREIGHT: $900 (currently reasonable for a car this size, but that might change after the Korean shipping-strike)

LIST PRICE AS REVIEWED: $37,070

DRIVETRAIN: FWD, Transverse-mounted 3.3L V6, 290 HP @ 6400 RPM, Torque 253 Ft-lbs. @ 5200 RPM, 8-speed Sportshift automatic transmission.

EPA MILEAGE RATING: 20 City, 28 Highway, 23 Combined

EXTERIOR COLOR: Platinum Graphite Metallic

INTERIOR: Black Leather

PLUSSES:

Torquey 3.3L V6 provides plenty of grunt at low speeds.

Flexible, efficient 8-speed transmission helps the power band even more.

Smooth, refined drive train.

Good wind noise control.

Effective brake-pedal responds immediately.

Generally good ride/handling combination on the base-level suspension/tires.

Excellent shifter design.

Comfortable, generally cushy leather seats.

Nice grade of seat leather.

Generally good control layout/design inside.

Good rear legroom for the class.

(Mostly) good interior hardware.

(Mostly) good interior and exterior fit/finish.

Superb Kia/Hyundai 10/100 drivertrain and 5/60 bumper-to-bumper warrantes.

MINUSES:

Relatively poor underhood layout.

Sometimes-jumpy throttle starting from rest.

Audible road noise on some porous road surfaces.

(IMO) poor exterior color-choice.

Unimpressive shiny black plastic trim on the console and door panels.

Cheap-looking silver finish on inside door handles.

Undersized trunk lid.

Rear seats do not fold down for added trunk space.

(Potential) high depreciation.

Currently in short-supply (or no supply) due to labor problems.

10/100 drivetrain warranty transferable, upon resale, only to immediate members of the family.

EXTERIOR:

On first glance, the exterior of the new second-generation Cadenza doesn't look that much different than the first, though Kia claims that a number of body and chassis revisions were made. Up front, the distinctive Kia Tiger Grille remains, though somewhat smaller in size this time, and with different grille-inserts depending on the trim-model. The new headlights are also somewhat smaller, presumably from being more efficient (LEDs and fog-lights come with the Technology trim level, one step up from the Premium). The sheet metal seems to be of a decent grade (doesn't feel too flimsy), and the doors all have a heavy, solid feel. The front doors close with a solid, precise thunk.....the rear ones, somewhat less so. The paint job is well-done (I could only check the one gray color, of course), with only a very slight trace of orange-peel. As is usual the case with upmarket Kia and Hyundai products, I wasn't impressed with the very limited choice of exterior paint colors, which is easily outclassed by a number of entry-level econoboxes in the 15-20K range. One casualty of the tendency of today's sedans to have low, coupe-like, fastback rooflines is relatively small trunk-lids....the Cadenza's seems especially small for a sedan of this size. It's not unreasonably small, but you will probably want to think twice (or take the big Kia Sorento SUV on the other side of the showroom), before heading to the mall for that holiday deal on a big-screen TV.

UNDERHOOD:

Open the rather solid feeling hood, and nice gas struts hold it up for you. Under the hood itself is a nice, though not particularly thick, insulation pad, and it does seem to help...more on that later. The underhood layout itself, though, leaves a lot to be desired. The 3.3L V6, transversely-mounted, fits in rather tightly, without a lot of room to reach components on any size of it, and the big, dark gray plastic engine cover blocks virtually everything on top. Some other components underhood are not hidden, and the dipsticks/fluid-reservoirs/filler-caps are easily reached. But the battery, up front to the right, is half-buried by a large piece of duct-work that has to be removed to replace the battery. At least one battery terminal, though, can be reached around the ductwork without removing it. Kia Service-Technicians are going to earn their pay working under this hood.

INTERIOR:

Inside, the new Cadenza doesn't look that radically different from the last one, either, though the instrument cluster and some of the trim patterns are a little different. Still, unless one looks closely, it's difficult to tell them apart at a glance. The same nice level of (generally) good fit/finish remains, though I wasn't impressed with the cheap-feeling, flat-black plastic stalks on the steering column, or the way the hard stitching on the leather-covered steering wheel felt.....it tended to irritate one's fingertips. The general level of interior hardware was quite good, and the controls were generally simple (for a car of this class), well-laid out, and easy to use. The new instrument cluster, with nice round, easy-to-read gauges, now uses the common Kia theme of black face, white numerals, and bright red needles. The steering wheel (except for the stitching) is well-done, well-finished, and has nicely-trimmed buttons/controls. The upmarket Harmon-Kardin stereo sound quality is a real killer......it's part of the optional Luxury Package, which this car had. The wood trim on the dash and door panels looked excellent, and was well-fitted (the specs call it "woodgrain", but it looks real to me). The highly-polished black plastic trim on the console, part of the door-panels, and surrounding the power-window switches, in contrast, LOOKED nice, but, IMO, felt somewhat cheap.....somewhat similar to the polished black plastic Lexus used on the last version of the ES350. Headroom, under the optional sunroof housing, was fine in front for taller persons.....marginal in back, even less so of one is sitting on the raised part of the center of the back seat. Legroom was surprisingly good in back, partially due to the scalloped-design of the front seat-backs (which also hold large map-pockets). The sun visors and ceiling headliner come in a nice ivory-white fabric covering. The front seats, like those in the competing Lincoln MKZ and Buick LaCrosse, have a least some softness and tush-cush to them (softer seats are getting hard to find nowadays....most of them tend to be firm). They are, even in the base Cadenza, done in a nice real leather (no fake stuff), though they aren't well-shaped for side-support, which is usually unnecessary in non-sport-oriented vehicles like this, anyway. The rear seats, like those up front, also retain some softness, though both the Cadenza's front and rear seats (as with most of the competition) lack the big size and classic over-stuffing of the Verano's front seats (that was one feature that sold me on a Verano). In the center of the dash, as with the last Cadenza, is a nicely-finished, Infiniti-style analog clock...something that Lexus has also picked up on for some of its new models.

So...overall, a really nice job on the interior. Get some nicer stalks and better trim material to replace that piano-black plastic stuff on the doors and console, and it will be even better.

(Editor's note......these comments, of course, are for the base interior, as, since none are currently available, I was unable to sit inside or evaluate an upper-level Technology or Platinum interior).

CARGO COMPARTMENT/TRUNK:

Open the solid (though somewhat undersize) trunk-lid, and you are treated to a fairly roomy and fairly well-finshed (for this class) cargo area. The trunk floor is covered in a nice black carpet, and the walls in a smooth vinyl-like material. The shape and opening of the trunk lid, as mentioned earlier, could limit the size of some larger or bulky things you might want to load or unload. The rear seat does not fold down to enlarge the cargo-space, but a pass-through in the middle of the seat allows one to cary long thin items like skis, fishing poles, golf clubs, etc.......things that a number of retired persons would carry, as this type of sedan (not to sound too stereotypical) often appeals to them. Under the floorboard is the usual temporary spare tire and jacking tools....if only today's cars had real spare tires like some of their owners do LOL.

ON THE ROAD:

Start up the 3.3L V6 with a nice big silver button, and it idles smoothy and quietly, with good refinement. there is some engine noise on acceleration, but generally muted (actually sounded quieter, starting off, than the new Lincoln Continental I sampled several weeks ago). This engine, no doubt aided by the new 8-speed FWD transmission, shows some grunt in the lower gears...the push you get in the back is almost to muscle-car levels. Part of it also seems to be the way the engineers programmed the electronic throttle...it is very responsive at low speeds, so watch out for the rear bumper on the car ahead of you when you are starting out.

The new 8-speed transmission, of course, is more efficient and flexible than the 6-speed that replaced it, in addition to being smooth and refined, even when cold. Kia (wisely, IMO) avoided the snap-back E-shifter that Buick put in the new LaCrosse, and uses a T-Handle, conventional fore/aft shifter with a super-slick, refined feel and a separate gate/slot for auto-manual shifting. Both the shifter and transmission itself are a delight.

Like most FWD sedans in this upmarket/semi-luxury class, the Cadenza is primarily designed for sedate driving. Throw it around a corner, and you will get (predictable) understeer and at least some body-roll....though nothing like the Slop-O-Matic lean of the first-generation Kia Amanti that preceded it years ago. Steering response, though not overly-quick, is fairly good.....again, far better than the Amanti's, though some artificial road/steering feel seems to have been designed into the system to try and keep it from feeling too numb. Overall, though, a generally good combination of ride/handling, at least on the base suspension/tires. The ride comfort was a little firm when the tires and shocks were cold, then smoothed out nicely as they warmed up. Wind noise was well-controlled (partly from the high-quality assembly of the door seals), but some road noise could be heard on grainy or porous road surfaces. Even on expensive luxury cars, it is sometimes difficult to filter out road noise on grainy asphalt, but road-engineers like to use that kind of surface because it aids traction and helps prevent skidding. The brake pedal felt almost German-sport-sedan-firm in its immediate response and lack of free-play, and the pedal itself was generally well-placed enough for my big size-15 clown-shoes next to the gas pedal.

THE VERDICT:

Well, my overall impression is that Kia, just like with the last Cadenza, also did a pretty nice job on this new one. However, I somewhat question the actual NEED for a new one right now, since the last version wasn't very old, the new one doesn't look much different from the last model, and, from what I remember, doesn't drive much different from it, either. Nevertheless, Kia planners saw fit to make the changes that it did, so we have what we have. And, I admit, it does compete very well against its several competitors, although, perhaps, a little more sound insulation in the wheel-wells, better console/door trim than that black shiny piano-plastic, and a better rear roofline/trunk-lid size are needed. But, it's a nice upmarket sedan just as it is, and well-worth its low starting price in the low 30s. The base version lacks some items that either cost extra or come in the upmarket versions, but that's the same as with virtually any vehicle. based on what I saw today, I'd say money well-spent.

Only problem is, right now, the Korean strikes are hugely impacting Kia's ability to ship these vehicles (I was very lucky to find the one I tested today, as few or no other local dealerships had any). So, depending on where you are in the U.S. or other countries, you may (?) have to wait a little while to actually go look at or drive one, though I'm sure that Kia will be able to get some for the big Detroit and Washington D.C.auto shows coming up after New Year's.

And, as always......Happy Car-Shopping.

MM

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-02-16 at 08:48 PM.
Old 12-02-16, 03:42 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
THE VERDICT:

Well, my overall impression is that Kia, just like with the last Cadenza, also did a pretty nice job on this new one. However, I somewhat question the actual NEED for a new one right now, since the last version wasn't very old, the new one doesn't look much different from the last model, and, from what I remember, doesn't drive much different from it, either. Nevertheless, Kia planners saw fit to make the changes that it did, so we have what we have.
The answer to this one is simple. The last generation Cadenza had been in production in Korea since 2010. It just came here late. The markets are now synced with this newest generation.
Old 12-02-16, 03:58 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TangoRed
The answer to this one is simple. The last generation Cadenza had been in production in Korea since 2010. It just came here late. The markets are now synced with this newest generation.
Fair point. I, of course, was referring to the American-spec version, but, in most cases, as you note, it isn't much different from the Korean. Still, it doesn't look like that really did that much change this time at the skin level, though there could (?) be more under the skin that is not immediately apparant.
Old 12-02-16, 05:45 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

The seats and interior remind me of Audi. How creative.
Old 12-02-16, 05:57 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
The interior certainly has Audi-like levels of fit/finish, though the paint job, on the outside, while good, is not quite Audi-slick.

As far as "copying" others, it's getting difficult to really criticize automakers for that any more, because no matter WHAT you design today, you are very likely to be copying somebody else, somewhere.
Old 12-02-16, 08:30 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Very agreeable exterior styling. Clean, understated, has some presence without a gaping grille, the right amount of chrome, and decently sized. The interior seems to be the weak link, with a somewhat dated center stack (Crown Victoria) and retro/tacky diamond-rubbermaid seat patterns. Overall, I think this car is a great value and appeals to someone who doesn't need to shout at the world through the type of car they drive. A refreshingly good thing. Anyone considering an ES350 could compare here and save a lot of money.
Old 12-02-16, 08:40 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
The interior seems to be the weak link, with a somewhat dated center stack (Crown Victoria) and retro/tacky diamond-rubbermaid seat patterns.
Acording to the web-site, there are, of course, different interior colors and patterns available on the leather seats. (I couldn't post them all). My test-car had black leather inside, with the base trim, which was a rather smooth pattern on the seats, not a diamond-rubbermaid. Couldn't find a good image of it, though.

Anyone considering an ES350 could compare here and save a lot of money.
Definitely. The Cadenza does beat the ES in some areas. The ES still feels a little more refined in its road manners, though, but not by much. And, of course, some people just can't get past the Lexus spindle-grilles.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-02-16 at 08:44 PM.
Old 12-03-16, 12:23 AM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice update, they fixed the ugly look from the previous version. I actuallly think this one is quite handsome.
Old 12-03-16, 03:12 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

For this type of vehicle, nice styling overall. Front grille is getting close to BMW while the rear 3/4 is the new S90.
Never liked the name. I'd accept a "K700"
Old 12-03-16, 06:03 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 173 Likes on 126 Posts

Definitely. The Cadenza does beat the ES in some areas. The ES still feels a little more refined in its road manners, though, but not by much. And, of course, some people just can't get past the Lexus spindle-grilles.
i think more people can't get past kia's reputation of yore than those who can't get past lexus's spindle grille.

anyhow, nice write-up. thank you!
Old 12-03-16, 06:10 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
That's because the guy who designed that generation of Audi interiors designed it. Kia hired him away from Audi.

Fair point. I, of course, was referring to the American-spec version, but, in most cases, as you note, it isn't much different from the Korean. Still, it doesn't look like that really did that much change this time at the skin level, though there could (?) be more under the skin that is not immediately apparant.
They build them on the same line Mike. They're not going to just keep building the old version alongside the new version, that wouldn't make any sense.

I like the car I'd like to drive one. I will say though, that my recent Kia service experience would keep me from ever choosing one to replace a luxury car in my garage however, much as my experience with Jeep service did the same. As a second/family/wife's car sure but I would never buy one for my primary car after that.
Old 12-03-16, 07:28 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by davyjordi
anyhow, nice write-up. thank you!
Glad you enjoyed it. I'll try and check out he interior of an higher-trim version when they finally become available in this area.

i think more people can't get past kia's reputation of yore than those who can't get past lexus's spindle grille.
Yes, that's an issue that's been argued back and forth here in Car Chat for some time. The fact is that Kias, today, sometimes don't get the credit they deserve (and depreciate more than is necessary), simply because some people have their minds stuck back in the 1990s. Hyundai and Kia haven't built what I would call junk for almost 15 years now....their overall quality started to improve drastically in the early 2000s. And, of course, they now have an upmarket Genesis division that will be competing with other luxury brands.

I didn't say this in the review, but I think the Cadenza might (?) be a good candidate for a FWD near-luxury, entry-level sedan in the Genesis division....similiar to Lexus's ES350. They could possibly rename it the G70, like they did with the Hyundai Genesis sedan to G80.
Old 12-03-16, 07:33 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by blacksc400
Nice update, they fixed the ugly look from the previous version. I actuallly think this one is quite handsome.
The upmarket versions have a different grille-insert, with vertical bars, than the sharpened-dot-pattern used on the base model. I'm not a fan, though, of the new, smaller headlights up front....they squint too much LOL. And the fastback rear roofline may look sporty, but, like on some other newer sedans, it impedes significantly on the size of the trunk-opening.
Old 12-03-16, 07:37 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Never liked the name. I'd accept a "K700"
Studies have shown, though, that a number of potential buyers find the alphabet-soup and/or letter/number combinations on many luxury vehicles to be confusing. That's one reason why Lincoln, when replacing the ill-fated MKS, decided to bring back the Continental nameplate.
Old 12-03-16, 07:49 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW15LS
That's because the guy who designed that generation of Audi interiors designed it. Kia hired him away from Audi.
Yes, I agree..the Audi influence is obvious. But, like I said earlier, in a different post, no matter what you design nowadays, you're going to end up looking like somebody else. It's almost impossible to avoid.

They build them on the same line Mike. They're not going to just keep building the old version alongside the new version, that wouldn't make any sense.
Nissan actually did that for a while with the 1Gen Rogue (which they renamed the Rogue Select) and the 2Gen Rogue, which ultimately replaced it. They built and sold them together, out of the same dealerships, at the same time. Rogue Select customers, of course, got a more dated design, but a better price on the deal, and (IMO) a simpler, easier-to-use interior and controls.

On the Cadenza, since Korean models are also left-hand-drive, I know they build both them and American-spec models on the same assembly lines. That wasn't quite what I was referring to. I was refering more to new-vs.-old spec versions, and any differences between them.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-03-16 at 08:10 AM.

Quick Reply: MM Condensed-Review: 2017 Kia Cadenza