Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Ford Ranger News

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-16, 02:14 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
its here....Denver, CO today......

Interestring find, but I highly doubt for is going to make a Ranger for the North American market. Ford could be testing this vehicle for the overseas markets for whatever reason. I know some who works at the Ford plant in Mississauga, ON, they produce diesel Ford Edge models for the European market, this could just be testing engine tech or something else. The cost of the midsize trucks is getting very high and the size of them is approaching full size trucks from 10 years ago. I get that some people on here "think" that there is a bigger market for mid-size trucks than there is, but the reality is that when gas prices start to move up, trucks will no longer be as desirable as some think.

Some food for thought, John Davis from MotorWeek drives and owns a 2001 or 2002 Ranger 4x4, he seems to think that there is a market for a new Ranger, but times have changed from that era to the current era.
Old 09-17-16, 03:14 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The crossover Ecosport may compete with the Juke, Honda HR-V, and Mazda CX-3. But I don't think you can directly compare it to the Renegade, which has Trail-Rated, off-road versions, even though it shares its platform with the crossover Fiat 500X.
The Renegade is grouped with the aforementioned models and the 500X you mentioned. Doesn't matter if it has an extra off-road trim the others lack. That just gives Jeep an ace in the hole against them when equipped.
Old 09-17-16, 03:33 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Interestring find, but I highly doubt for is going to make a Ranger for the North American market. Ford could be testing this vehicle for the overseas markets for whatever reason. I know some who works at the Ford plant in Mississauga, ON, they produce diesel Ford Edge models for the European market, this could just be testing engine tech or something else. The cost of the midsize trucks is getting very high and the size of them is approaching full size trucks from 10 years ago. I get that some people on here "think" that there is a bigger market for mid-size trucks than there is, but the reality is that when gas prices start to move up, trucks will no longer be as desirable as some think.

Some food for thought, John Davis from MotorWeek drives and owns a 2001 or 2002 Ranger 4x4, he seems to think that there is a market for a new Ranger, but times have changed from that era to the current era.
Well, First, John knows the market pretty well......he's been making a pretty decent living evaluating it (and new vehicles) for over thirty years. Second, you are correct that conditions for mid-sized trucks are different today than they were 15 years ago......but not for the reasons you think. Back then, there was a marked size difference between small/medium sized trucks and full-sized ones (except for the three-quarter-size 1Gen Toyota Tundra, which, back then, was marketed as a full-size truck, but in fact wasn't). Sales of smaller trucks languished because they were priced too close to full-sized ones, yet suffered in comparison to hauling or towing ability. Even so, the mid-sized Toyota Tacoma still had a loyal following, in spite of that. And the 1Gen GM offerings (Colorado/Canyon) and their rebadged Isuzu I-series would have been more successful had they not been such a complete piece of junk....the 2Gen Colorado/Canyon is far better in every way. Third, today's "mid sized" trucks, except for the Nissan Frontier, are pretty good-sized (for proof, check out a crew-cab, long-bed Colorado/Canyon, or even a new Tacoma). So, unlike years ago, you get almost a full-size truck for the money, without having to accept a substantially lower hauling/towing ability. Of course, I'm not comparing the mid-size trucks to a diesel, dual-rear-wheel 3500 series that can tow 30,000 lbs....I'm talking about a regular full size pickup (F-150, Silverado 1500, Ram 1500, etc...)

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-17-16 at 03:51 PM.
Old 09-17-16, 04:03 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Well, First, John knows the market pretty well......he's been making a pretty decent living evaluating it (and new vehicles) for over thirty years. Second, you are correct that conditions for mid-sized trucks are different today than they were 15 years ago......but not for the reasons you think. Back then, there was a marked size difference between small/medium sized trucks and full-sized ones (except for the three-quarter-size 1Gen Toyota Tundra, which, back then, was marketed as a full-size truck, but in fact wasn't). Sales of smaller trucks languished because they were priced too close to full-sized ones, yet suffered in comparison to hauling or towing ability. Even so, the mid-sized Toyota Tacoma still had a loyal following, in spite of that. And the 1Gen GM offerings (Colorado/Canyon) and their rebadged Isuzu I-series would have been more successful had they not been such a complete piece of junk....the 2Gen Colorado/Canyon is far better in every way. Third, today's "mid sized" trucks, except for the Nissan Frontier, are pretty good-sized (for proof, check out a crew-cab, long-bed Colorado/Canyon, or even a new Tacoma). So, unlike years ago, you get almost a full-size truck for the money, without having to accept a substantially lower hauling/towing ability. Of course, I'm not comparing the mid-size trucks to a diesel, dual-rear-wheel 3500 series that can tow 30,000 lbs....I'm talking about a regular full size pickup (F-150, Silverado 1500, Ram 1500, etc...)
I am well aware of your criticism of the 1st gen Tundra, but Toyota, it's competitors and all professional auto journalists considered the 1st Tundra a 7/8ths full size truck and not a mid size in any way. So let's just leave it at that.

Old 09-17-16, 04:06 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I am well aware of your criticism of the 1st gen Tundra, but Toyota, it's competitors and all professional auto journalists considered the 1st Tundra a 7/8ths full size truck and not a mid size in any way. So let's just leave it at that.
Some called it 3/4, some 7/8...the point was that it wasn't a true full-sizer. And, as far as me "criticizing" it, I also come to its defense by pointing out that it was probably built more solidly than the true full-size 2Gen Tundra that replaced it. The 2Gen Tundra had several quality problems, especially with early models.....flimsy trim parts, a weak tailgate that sometimes buckled under load, and, of course, the controversial C-Channel frames. I agree, though, that we can leave it at that.

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-17-16 at 04:11 PM.
Old 02-16-17, 04:49 AM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Exclamation 2019

https://www.trucks.com/2017/02/15/20...-pickup-truck/

Spy Shots: Ford Tests 2019 Ranger Pickup Truck Near Headquarters

2019 Ford Ranger pickup truck test vehicle spy shot. (Photo: Brian Williams)
The 1st spy shots of the 2019 Ford Ranger pickup were captured as the automaker tested the mid-sized truck on the streets near its Dearborn, Mich., headquarters Tuesday.

Ford Motor Co. is developing a U.S. version of the truck, which it currently sells in Europe and other overseas markets. Ford last sold the Ranger in the U.S. during the 2012 model year. It ended production to focus on its larger F-150 pickup, which is the top-selling vehicle in the U.S. market.

The automaker announced plans to return the Ranger pickup truck to its North American vehicle lineup in 2019 — and another popular nameplate, the Bronco midsize SUV, to its global vehicle portfolio in 2020 — during a press conference at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit last month.
These photos are of a so-called mule – a version used for testing but not a final prototype. At this point, it’s hard to see whether the U.S. ranger will look much different from the model sold globally. The North American version may wear its own unique design that picks up on the styling of Ford’s larger F-Series trucks. Overseas markets tend to prefer more aerodynamic, car-like styling for their pickups as opposed to the classic American box design.

The new Ranger is expected to be equipped with a full complement of Ford EcoBoost 4- and 6-cylinder engines and perhaps a diesel option. Ford may use the direct injected twin-turbo EcoBoost V6 as the premium choice. Ford’s new 10-speed automatic, co-developed with General Motors, will likely be integrated into the powertrain. A 2-wheel drive configuration is expected to be part of the standard package with the Ranger also offering a 4-wheel drive upgrade.
By returning the Ranger to the U.S. market, Ford is trying to take advantage of an upswing in mid-size pickup truck sales.

The smaller pickup trucks are 1 of the fastest growing segments of the U.S. market. Americans purchased almost 450,000 midsize pickups last year, a 25.5 percent gain over 2015.

“We have seen the positive response in the market for the physical size of the smaller trucks,” said Raj Nair, Ford’s chief technology officer and director of global product development, told Trucks.com in January.
Old 02-16-17, 12:26 PM
Hoovey689

It was only a matter of time before the Ranger came back. We probably have the Tacoma to thank for showing this segment is not done yet. Honda brought back the Ridgeline, the Canyon/Colorado twins massive winners especially compared to the first gen. Nissan has pretty much forgotten the Frontier at least for the moment. Lastly Dodge/Ram had the Dakota a few years back.
Old 02-16-17, 02:57 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
It was only a matter of time before the Ranger came back. We probably have the Tacoma to thank for showing this segment is not done yet. Honda brought back the Ridgeline, the Canyon/Colorado twins massive winners especially compared to the first gen. Nissan has pretty much forgotten the Frontier at least for the moment. Lastly Dodge/Ram had the Dakota a few years back.
I'd give more credit to the GM twins. Though the Tacoma is always popular, the latest one, IMO, isn't much of an improvement over its predecessor, especially inside the cabin. The Ridgeline is well-built and versatile, and the 2nd is a little more like a real truck than the crossover 1Gen, but it simply doesn't sell in very big numbers. The Nissan Frontier is....Well, as you note, mostly forgotten. And the Dakota was not well-built, and had mechanical issues when it WAS in production. The 2Gen Colorado/Canyon, though, is truly a massive improvement over the last versions, which IMO, were even worse than the Dakota.
Old 02-16-17, 03:12 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Though the Tacoma is always popular, the latest one, IMO, isn't much of an improvement over its predecessor, especially inside the cabin.
My dad owned a 2008 Tacoma and I a 2011. I no longer have a Tacoma but my dad traded in his 08 for a new one and I don't agree about it being not much of an improvement. I think it's a huge improvement over the old one. The interior finally has updated features like pushbutton start, auto climate control, BSM, heated seats, etc. Material quality is about the same, though, as is roominess (obviously) and the overall driving experience, though the engine is a lot more potent.

I do agree, however, that the new Colorado is a huge improvement over the old one, though if I were in the market, I think I'd still go for a Tacoma.

It's going to be interesting to watch Ford's re-introduction of the Ranger.
Old 02-16-17, 03:15 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JDR76
I do agree, however, that the new Colorado is a huge improvement over the old one, though if I were in the market, I think I'd still go for a Tacoma.
I would take a Tacoma over the Colorado or Canyon any day of the week. It is pretty difficult to get a tow truck out into the wild or at the back of a dirty muddy farm to come and save a GM truck from reliability concerns. GM has poor reliability to make their trucks trust worthy when the going get tough.
Old 02-16-17, 05:43 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JDR76
My dad owned a 2008 Tacoma and I a 2011. I no longer have a Tacoma but my dad traded in his 08 for a new one and I don't agree about it being not much of an improvement. I think it's a huge improvement over the old one. The interior finally has updated features like pushbutton start, auto climate control, BSM, heated seats, etc. Material quality is about the same, though, as is roominess (obviously) and the overall driving experience, though the engine is a lot more potent.

It's going to be interesting to watch Ford's re-introduction of the Ranger.
That's part of what I was getting at, though. The new Ranger, when it is introduced, is going to have to compete with both the Tacoma and an enormously improved Colorado/Canyon. Plus, pricing is going to be important, because pricing is what killed the last American-market Ranger. It was too close to the F-150 in price, and buyers were paying only a little more money and getting a lot more truck.
Old 02-16-17, 05:57 PM
Hoovey689

That's part of what I was getting at, though. The new Ranger, when it is introduced, is going to have to compete with both the Tacoma and an enormously improved Colorado/Canyon. Plus, pricing is going to be important, because pricing is what killed the last American-market Ranger. It was too close to the F-150 in price, and buyers were paying only a little more money and getting a lot more truck.
That's the F-150's fault. At the time F-150's lets say of 11th Generation (2004-2008) with the 4.2L 'Essex' V6 could be had in the high teens. Rangers were in low teens. Fast forward to today and a 2017 F-150 starts at $26,730. Plenty of room for the Ranger once again.
Old 02-16-17, 06:01 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

I think the biggest issue with the old Ranger was that it didn't really offer anything over the competition and that last model ran from what, 1998 to 2012?
Old 02-16-17, 06:05 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
That's the F-150's fault. At the time F-150's lets say of 11th Generation (2004-2008) with the 4.2L 'Essex' V6 could be had in the high teens.
That was probably for a no-frills, bargain-basement work truck, right?......rubber floors, no carpeting, no stereo, manually-operated windows/doors/mirrors, and maybe a vinyl bench seat. (the type that you would use on a construction site and not be afraid to get dirty). Rangers, if my memory is correct, could also be had that way.
Old 02-16-17, 06:20 PM
Hoovey689

That was probably for a no-frills, bargain-basement work truck, right?......rubber floors, no carpeting, no stereo, manually-operated windows/doors/mirrors, and maybe a vinyl bench seat. (the type that you would use on a construction site and not be afraid to get dirty). Rangers, if my memory is correct, could also be had that way.
Indeed Rangers could be bare bones or 'loaded' (all the Auto vs manual settings) and 4.0L 'Cologne' V6 up to about mid 20's if memory serves me. Granted even before they winded down production in 2011 deals could always be had on Rangers. A plebeian but surprisingly not terrible truck the Ranger was. In fact it was recommended by CR in it's final days.

Quick Reply: Ford Ranger News