Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: What do you think Lexus should do or will happen in 2014
5th Gen. LS NAIAS-Jan. 2014, 25th Anniv. Edition models, Production LF-LC, NX, RC, 2016 RX
66.67%
Significantly updated/facelift LFA, LFA replacement
20.00%
Previews of all Lexus products for the next 18 months(2014-2015/16)
26.67%
Roadster
26.67%
V12 LS
26.67%
Other; please explain why.
20.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Lexus 25th Anniversary

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-12, 03:14 PM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Received 130 Likes on 56 Posts
Default Lexus 25th Anniversary

Well, since we are near the end of 2012, there are only 14 months left till 2014. Even though I do not drive a Lexus, after seeing news about the LS 650 I thought it would be interesting to bring up ideas about what Lexus should do for 25th Anniversary in 2014. Since most of the Lexus vehicles in 2014 will be 2015 models, it will consist of mainly those. On that list is likely this:

A fifth generation LS debuting at NAIAS in January 2014 as 2015 model and sales starting in September 2014.(It's possible Lexus delayed the LS to align with the 25th year of Lexus sales.)

The RC coupe between the IS and GS will be introduced.

25th Anniversary Edition of the ES and possibly other veteran models.

LF-LC production-esque prototype introduced

NX crossover will be introduced

Next generation RX unveiled in late 2014 as a 2016 model.

GS engine updates.

I will make a poll for these, which I hope will be effective. What else should Lexus do or think will happen in 2014? Other companies always celebrate anniversaries, so Lexus should do something big for once after making it to a quarter century.

Last edited by Carmaker1; 11-10-12 at 02:19 PM. Reason: Typos
Old 11-09-12, 05:16 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Regardless of what they do, it'll be a huge year for them
Old 11-09-12, 07:44 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The LS is what started Lexus, so what better way to celebrate the 25th anniversary of the brand than a totally new 5th generation LS with mind-blowing and world-first features and technologies. That and seeing big refreshes of some existing models as well, and by then some debuts of new models to boot.

This is what I hope, but also think will happen. 5th gen LS, likely with new debuts like the RC etc., and possibly 25th anniversary special edition models.
Old 11-09-12, 07:50 PM
mordecai
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Agreed with the next-generation LS. But I think it would be really cool to introduce a next generation LFA as well. To me, Lexus has two flagships now: the traditional LS and the "new" side of Lexus, the LFA. It would undoubtedly bring a lot of attention to Lexus, both from traditional fans of luxury/Lexus and the new Lexus enthusiasts who love its performance aspect. A 10,000RPM+ V10/V12 engine would be amazing
Old 11-09-12, 07:52 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

While I would absolutely love to see a next-gen LFA myself debut together with a 5th gen LS, I don't know if realistically it will be ready in time for the 25th anniversary.

I am very confident we will see a next-gen LFA, but we may have to wait a while. In any case, we shall see.
Old 11-09-12, 07:57 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

yeah they will probably make a special edition model on the LS in order to boost the last year of sales for the 4th LS
Old 11-09-12, 09:04 PM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 88 Likes on 53 Posts

GS-F and separate F-Sport sub-division
Old 11-09-12, 10:24 PM
84Cressida
Lead Lap

They likely won't do anything and if they do, it will be a special edition model with some unique paint color but otherwise is the same vehicle. Sad, but true.
Old 11-09-12, 11:24 PM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

5th gen LS, 500 HP minimum GS-F, the rest I don't know.

Either way, we we're all looking forward to the anniversary celebrations.

P.S.
Slightly off-topic:
There will probably be some celebrations and parties for this in Japan.

For example:
When Audi celebrated their 100th anniversary, one of the highlights of their event was beer drinking ceremonies with factory workers (like a mini Oktoberfest in Ingolstadt).

So probably something like sushi eating contests, gokon (group dating) parties and izakaya bar parties (i.e. sake drinking )
Old 11-09-12, 11:45 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Whatever it is, they're planning to make the 25th anniversary a huge SALES year for Lexus, that one of the few reasons why we see so much build up for exciting products.
Old 11-10-12, 01:09 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Man I'd really like to see them reintroduce the big 2 door SC in both coupe and 4 seat convertible form, a car you buy simply because it makes you smile. It should be a breath of fresh air for the company, something you buy for the style and driving dynamics, not because its a nice "under the radar" stealth cruiser. Lexus has built too many of those type of cars over the years and has kind of typecast itself as only being able to build that type of car.
Old 11-10-12, 02:37 PM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Originally Posted by Blackraven
5th gen LS, 500 HP minimum GS-F, the rest I don't know.

Either way, we we're all looking forward to the anniversary celebrations.

P.S.
Slightly off-topic:
There will probably be some celebrations and parties for this in Japan.

For example:
When Audi celebrated their 100th anniversary, one of the highlights of their event was beer drinking ceremonies with factory workers (like a mini Oktoberfest in Ingolstadt).

So probably something like sushi eating contests, gokon (group dating) parties and izakaya bar parties (i.e. sake drinking )
I had forgotten to include the GS-F, but I wonder if they've delayed that due to the LC being priority first?

Originally Posted by G Star
Whatever it is, they're planning to make the 25th anniversary a huge SALES year for Lexus, that one of the few reasons why we see so much build up for exciting products.
Precisely why we are seeing and hearing about several vehicles that would be scheduled for 2014 unveilings and introductions(sales). It is highly likely that they will recognize this fact or TPTB at Lexus will be considered complete idiots to waste such an opportunity.

Originally Posted by Aron9000
Man I'd really like to see them reintroduce the big 2 door SC in both coupe and 4 seat convertible form, a car you buy simply because it makes you smile. It should be a breath of fresh air for the company, something you buy for the style and driving dynamics, not because its a nice "under the radar" stealth cruiser. Lexus has built too many of those type of cars over the years and has kind of typecast itself as only being able to build that type of car.
Even though some people have been against this, Lexus should definitely introduce a four-door coupe. The only thing is that currently only a production LF-LC and LF-CC have been confirmed. An SC that falls between them has not been and possibly rejected. It would be ideal if Lexus beats both Audi and BMW by offering a genuinely reliable 3-tiered coupe line-up. A truly mid-range coupe in the form of the SC. An entry-level RC, with the LC sitting at the top of the coupe range.
Old 11-10-12, 02:48 PM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
While I would absolutely love to see a next-gen LFA myself debut together with a 5th gen LS, I don't know if realistically it will be ready in time for the 25th anniversary.

I am very confident we will see a next-gen LFA, but we may have to wait a while. In any case, we shall see.
Well, they could easily close out their 25th year with a prototype-concept version of an "LFA II", that could be scheduled for production starting in 12-18 months till 2016. The current one was unveiled in 2009 and went into production in December 2010, selling in 2011. They could try to get away with it not going on sale for over a year. Even though some have FALSELYsuggested the next-generation LS is scheduled in 3 years, I don't believe we'll have to wait that long. I am certain without a doubt to expect something on that front in 2014 or even next year in the form of full-body prototypes. The XF40 will have run from 2006-2014 and hopefully nothing beyond that.
Old 11-10-12, 02:54 PM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Originally Posted by 84Cressida
They likely won't do anything and if they do, it will be a special edition model with some unique paint color but otherwise is the same vehicle. Sad, but true.
I wouldn't be surprised if this happens, even though they also have Toyota and Scion profits to support any celebration. I think the worst thing would be not replace their flagship LS or make any recognition of it. While they may have spent a lot on facelifting it for 2013, it has been here long enough. I think engine updates across the range would also suffice.
Old 11-10-12, 04:39 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by cmk1
Well, they could easily close out their 25th year with a prototype-concept version of an "LFA II", that could be scheduled for production starting in 12-18 months till 2016. The current one was unveiled in 2009 and went into production in December 2010, selling in 2011. They could try to get away with it not going on sale for over a year. Even though some have FALSELYsuggested the next-generation LS is scheduled in 3 years, I don't believe we'll have to wait that long. I am certain without a doubt to expect something on that front in 2014 or even next year in the form of full-body prototypes. The XF40 will have run from 2006-2014 and hopefully nothing beyond that.
Ah yes, good points, totally forgot about that regarding an "LFA II". You're right, they could shock with a prototype/concept unveiling of an LFA successor, and have it actually come to market in 2016 or later.

As for the 5th gen LS, I don't think we have to wait 3 years for it either. I think at the very least we will see it premiere in about 2 years or so. Look at the Avalon for example. For 6 years it had almost no updates, then it got a nice refresh, and only 2 years later we have a totally redesigned brand new Avalon.

Toyota stated years ago that while product cycles would be getting a bit longer for quality reasons, mid-cycle updates would become more significant and meaningful. So I am absolutely certain that what we are seeing here are some of the first of these significant mid-cycle updates, first with the 2011 Avalon and now the 2013 LS. These models, while not full redesigns, are fairly significant mid-cycle updates. They got big interior upgrades, along with noticeable refinements and exterior changes. And going by the Avalon, it seems the mid-cycle updates are being pushed a bit near the end of the model's life cycle, not exactly in the middle.

Quick Reply: Lexus 25th Anniversary