Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus LS650 Prototype Set for Essen Motor Show

Old 11-13-12, 12:54 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 183 Likes on 142 Posts

that's what we care about this car anyway, right? the core, engine, transmission, performance, power, etc... those are all part of the R&D and huge on reliability.

it's just like the lfa, when doing R&D rumors were the redline could be at 12k no problem. but on the production, it's dialed down
Old 11-13-12, 02:33 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They've been testing this car for over a whole year now. The engine is the V8 from the IS-F, but it's redline in the IS-F is below 7000rpm, but from the spy shots of this car at TMG's facilities, it's said to be 9000rpm! Remember this?

That picture is dated 9-21-2011, but was taken a couple months before it's posting.

Last edited by TF109B; 11-13-12 at 02:37 PM.
Old 11-13-12, 03:25 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

yes, and your point? did anyone see this car running on public roads and or extreme climates, etc... which contributes a lot of real world testing on suspensions and other tear and wear parts.
Old 11-13-12, 04:25 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 102 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
yes, and your point? did anyone see this car running on public roads and or extreme climates, etc... which contributes a lot of real world testing on suspensions and other tear and wear parts.
i am not sure whats your point there though? TMG is probably better equipped than AMG or M Sport divisions... I mean these are people who actually built F1, FIA WEC, FIA WRC cars.

Are you saying that they are not qualified to do road car? Kind of seems silly... this is not some OC tuner.
Old 11-13-12, 04:35 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Seriously? They tested the car for over a year now. Not just on track at the Nurburgring. It seems as if the car is suppose to be a high performance machine that will command a pretty high price if purchased. Those that can afford cars like these don't need to drive them daily. But being TMG (Toyota) I have little doubts the 'Lexus' aspect of the car stays. Like spy said, TMG is Toyota. They built the F1 cars, the TS030, the WRC rally cars etc.
Old 11-13-12, 05:13 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by spwolf
i am not sure whats your point there though? TMG is probably better equipped than AMG or M Sport divisions... I mean these are people who actually built F1, FIA WEC, FIA WRC cars.

Are you saying that they are not qualified to do road car? Kind of seems silly... this is not some OC tuner.
no, that's not what i meant at all. i am sure they are very capable in building all kind of cars. but i am saying there is no solid proofs that the car is ready for production, there isn't even spy pics of the car on public roads.

start tracing back to what BRN said. he said car is ready for production, i put my doubts on that. where in there did i say TMG is incapable?

Originally Posted by TF109B
Seriously? They tested the car for over a year now. Not just on track at the Nurburgring. It seems as if the car is suppose to be a high performance machine that will command a pretty high price if purchased. Those that can afford cars like these don't need to drive them daily. But being TMG (Toyota) I have little doubts the 'Lexus' aspect of the car stays. Like spy said, TMG is Toyota. They built the F1 cars, the TS030, the WRC rally cars etc.
oh yeah? where did you see the car tested or spied outside of the ring? at least i haven't seen any pics.

if this is the start of an R&D project, the idea is to test the limit, how far the car can be pushed. and when it is done and production cycle approved, then it's about long term tear and wear testing (which have very different criteria) on what to scale back and how much, to make the car reliable.

so you are saying if lexus sells this car, it's not going to be daily run, so it doesn't have to achieve certain level of lexus quality and reliability? please give me a break and stop kidding yourself. even the lfa attains that kind of reliability, let alone anything in the LS segment.

Last edited by rominl; 11-13-12 at 05:16 PM.
Old 11-13-12, 05:30 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

no, that's not what i meant at all. i am sure they are very capable in building all kind of cars. but i am saying there is no solid proofs that the car is ready for production, there isn't even spy pics of the car on public roads.

start tracing back to what BRN said. he said car is ready for production, i put my doubts on that. where in there did i say TMG is incapable?

oh yeah? where did you see the car tested or spied outside of the ring? at least i haven't seen any pics.

if this is the start of an R&D project, the idea is to test the limit, how far the car can be pushed. and when it is done and production cycle approved, then it's about long term tear and wear testing (which have very different criteria) on what to scale back and how much, to make the car reliable.

so you are saying if lexus sells this car, it's not going to be daily run, so it doesn't have to achieve certain level of lexus quality and reliability? please give me a break and stop kidding yourself. even the lfa attains that kind of reliability, let alone anything in the LS segment.
in that case, i doubt that this car will be ever built for production... it is proof of concept for future cars.
Old 11-13-12, 05:44 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by TF109B
If they build this car, I will buy one and it will be my daily driver (assuming it's price is within my budget, but my educated guess is it will be, it won't be anymore then an AMG S63.)

Most AMG S63, Alpina B7, Audi S8 are people's daily driver.
Old 11-13-12, 05:44 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

in that case, i doubt that this car will be ever built for production... it is proof of concept for future cars.
yes, that's exactly my point. as i said in post #9, this is fantastic stuff and we need more of it. but this ready to go into production as BRN mentioned in post #28? that's what i am unsure.

the technology and sports tuning (on engine and suspension) on this car, that's the true value that i look forward to
Old 11-13-12, 05:46 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by BNR34
Most AMG S63/S65/CL63/CL65 are people's daily driver.
thanks for putting the truth out as an actual potential buyer of S63 (before i got the nsx), it would definitely be my daily. and fact is those who can afford the car? they just daily it and trade it for something else down the road. gas is hardly a problem. but with that said, a ls-f would be such a dream come true
Old 11-13-12, 05:47 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

yes, that's exactly my point. as i said in post #9, this is fantastic stuff and we need more of it. but this ready to go into production as BRN mentioned in post #28? that's what i am unsure.

the technology and sports tuning (on engine and suspension) on this car, that's the true value that i look forward to
Again, I didn't mean this particular project is ready for production. All I was saying is none of these hardwares are brand new.
Old 11-13-12, 05:50 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

thanks for putting the truth out as an actual potential buyer of S63 (before i got the nsx), it would definitely be my daily. and fact is those who can afford the car? they just daily it and trade it for something else down the road. gas is hardly a problem. but with that said, a ls-f would be such a dream come true
S63 is daily for folks who got a mid engine exotic sports car for the weekend. S63 is really pretty boring for the weekend, especially the TT ones.

As much as paying for gas is not a concern, is still painful to see it suck down gas so quickly
Old 11-13-12, 05:53 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

it could be ready though :-).

i dont think production is a problem of anything else but making money on it.

What I found interesting is that TMG does not produce their own engines, they are shipped from Japan... That means that both this and 1.6l Turbo in Yaris WRC are built in Japan.
Old 11-13-12, 05:58 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

it could be ready though :-).

i dont think production is a problem of anything else but making money on it.
Aren't that the truth.

Toyota can make anything, the only question is "will it make money"?

It they know for sure is a money maker, it will be in the showroom tomorrow.

What I found interesting is that TMG does not produce their own engines, they are shipped from Japan... That means that both this and 1.6l Turbo in Yaris WRC are built in Japan.
Not surprising, most things highend for Lexus are built in Japan.
Old 11-13-12, 09:12 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

TMG don't need to produce the engines because of the expertise in Japan in that area. But the misconception I've been seeing around seems to be this is some tuning shop project. It's much more than that. They have the capability to make an entire vehicle. And I wasn't implying cars like this (S63 AMG etc.) aren't driven daily. I said people with money to buy a car like this don't need to drive it daily. There's a difference, even if it were less reliable than your typical Lexus it won't affect those buying it much. And I think there is pictures of the car driving from or to the 'Ring. No matter, it's still a Lexus. TMG isn't far from the 'Ring either. It's a little more than an hour's drive. And we all know how the weather is in that part of the country.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Lexus LS650 Prototype Set for Essen Motor Show