Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Motortrend: 2012 Buick LaCrosse vs. 2012 Hyundai Azera vs. 2013 Lexus ES 350

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-12, 05:07 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
How much ad revenue did Hyundai give to MT for this "article"? This article was complete rubbish and a disgrace to journalism!

There should be outrage and backlash against MT for such appalling lies and contradictions. The ES objectively placed 1st is just about every category, yet they rated it as the worst car.

The article was strange.
However,MT is a rag when an article isn't too pleasing for a ES but a great magazine when it reviewed the new GS?
"There should be outrage and backlash against MT for such appalling lies and contradictions"
The article is how the writers felt about the ES.As bitkahuna posted, ES sales won't suffer because of it.
I've always found MT to be the worst auto magazine of the popular 4 or 5.Especially when it comes to their choices of the car or truck of the year.

Last edited by Joeb427; 11-09-12 at 05:13 AM.
Old 11-09-12, 05:55 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
The article was strange.
However,MT is a rag when an article isn't too pleasing for a ES but a great magazine when it reviewed the new GS?"There should be outrage and backlash against MT for such appalling lies and contradictions"
The article is how the writers felt about the ES.As bitkahuna posted, ES sales won't suffer because of it.
I've always found MT to be the worst auto magazine of the popular 4 or 5.Especially when it comes to their choices of the car or truck of the year.
You noticed that too?? I love to read some of the letters to the editor, etc. after these comparos come out. I enjoy seeing other reviewers opinions.
Old 11-09-12, 07:20 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

However,MT is a rag when an article isn't too pleasing for a ES but a great magazine when it reviewed the new GS?
This exactly. People read these things expecting a specific outcome and when that doesn't happen, well...

I stopped getting all wound up about these comparisons a long time ago. They are what they are; editor's choices based on their own experiences. You can bet that when the Toyo/Lex wins there is another camp (Honda, Nissan, BMW, Ford, Audi, etc) which is also crying foul.

People take these things WAY too seriously and, sometimes, personally.
Old 11-09-12, 07:50 AM
LexFather

The article was strange.
"There should be outrage and backlash against MT for such appalling lies and contradictions"
Originally Posted by LexBob2
You noticed that too?? I love to read some of the letters to the editor, etc. after these comparos come out. I enjoy seeing other reviewers opinions.
Originally Posted by speedflex
This exactly. People read these things expecting a specific outcome and when that doesn't happen, well...

I stopped getting all wound up about these comparisons a long time ago. They are what they are; editor's choices based on their own experiences. You can bet that when the Toyo/Lex wins there is another camp (Honda, Nissan, BMW, Ford, Audi, etc) which is also crying foul.

People take these things WAY too seriously and, sometimes, personally.
Stop trying to spread drama. The accusations here are on point. How the hell can the QUIETEST TESTED CAR in the comparison be dinged for BEING LOUD? There is not much logic in this comparison.

THey say the Azera is a "value" yet the Hyundai is $120 cheaper than the Lexus. Seems the Lexus offers the real value here.

Was it the same writer(s)? If it was then you have a point. Just b/c its the same magazine doesn't mean its the same writers. I follow Chris Harris no matter where he writes, I feel is is unbiased, genuine and amazing.

The GS articles pointed out accurate pros and cons of it and the competition. If you have driven them all you would realize that.

I totally agree its nothing to get upset about, I used to when I was younger, now I laugh at it. However don't try to say people don't have a valid point just b/c its a Lexus and Lexus owners disagree with the article.

Old 11-09-12, 08:38 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Blueprint
Stop trying to spread drama.
Really???? Now that's a laugh. This whole thread was drama from the start.
Old 11-09-12, 08:42 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by speedflex
Really???? Now that's a laugh. This whole thread was drama from the start.
Spot on!
Old 11-09-12, 08:52 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

I don't like the Azera but in a search nationwide on Autotrader,the highest priced Azera was $39434 with pano,NAV etc.
It is much cheaper than the ES.

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...32472828&Log=0

Lowest priced ES350 was a stripped one and only one nationwide at $36600.

Last edited by Joeb427; 11-09-12 at 09:04 AM.
Old 11-09-12, 09:07 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

all - knock off all the personal accusations or the thread gets closed.
Old 11-09-12, 09:12 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 111 Likes on 82 Posts

I don't like the Azera but in a search nationwide on Autotrader,the highest priced Azera was $39434 with pano,NAV etc.
It is much cheaper than the ES.

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...32472828&Log=0

Lowest priced ES350 was a stripped one and only one nationwide at $36600.
Well hopefully Hyundai Azera is cheaper than Lexus.

This is why there is Toyota Avalon.

Not really hard to understand.

What people were pointing out was that article had wrong pricing, and it did.
Old 11-09-12, 09:23 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by spwolf
Well hopefully Hyundai Azera is cheaper than Lexus.

This is why there is Toyota Avalon.

Not really hard to understand.

What people were pointing out was that article had wrong pricing, and it did.
Yes,Avalon and Azera.
The Genesis to me is ES competition.
MAYBE the R-Spec and a GS.

The La Crosse seems to be in the ES class and can be at $44K loaded Touring AWD model. Somehow certain Buicks are luxury vehicles now.
I don't think of buick as a luxury vehicle.
Old 11-09-12, 12:04 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Yes,Avalon and Azera.

The La Crosse seems to be in the ES class and can be at $44K loaded Touring AWD model. Somehow certain Buicks are luxury vehicles now.
Cause you shouldn't lol. It's a premium upscale car in the same class as Lincoln, Acura, Volvo, Infiniti. None of these are tier 1.
Old 11-09-12, 12:50 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

A while back when the LaCrosse and Taurus were new, C&D did a comparo of them that also included the previous gen ES350 and Genesis V6. In that test the ES was the smallest and lightest car. It was also virtually tied with the 3.8 Genesis for quickest and beat them all in stopping distance, fuel efficiency and other measures where the lighter weight is a benefit. They also said it had the smoothest powertrain. Although it was after the comparo, I was car shopping at the time and ended up with another ES350.
Old 11-09-12, 02:44 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Yes,Avalon and Azera.

The Genesis and Lexus GS compete head to had.

As for the ES, it competes with the XTS and MKZ
Old 11-09-12, 02:50 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Cause you shouldn't lol. It's a premium upscale car in the same class as Lincoln, Acura, Volvo, Infiniti. None of these are tier 1.
Agree that Buick does not really compete with Lexus. Lexus with some models is not tier 1 and the ES with Cadillac XTS, Acura RL, Volvo and Lincoln.
Old 11-09-12, 04:46 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
The Genesis and Lexus GS compete head to had.

As for the ES, it competes with the XTS and MKZ
Lol no they don't. The Genesis and GS compete about as head to head as the Chrysler 300 competes with the 7 series.

Quick Reply: Motortrend: 2012 Buick LaCrosse vs. 2012 Hyundai Azera vs. 2013 Lexus ES 350