Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Running diesel on vegetable oil?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-12, 11:18 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Running diesel on vegetable oil?

We have fuel shortages here in NYC thanks to Sandy, and there's just no way to buy gas/diesel. Most gas stations are closed, and those that do have gas, have 3 hour long lines and they run out before everyone gets filled up.

I have a 6.0 powerstroke, and I still have just under half a tank, but if there is no resupply, as a last resort would it cause major issues down the line if I fill it up with... corn oil?
Old 11-02-12, 01:11 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Ive heard it would be ok with a certain ratio....but def not 50-50 or less.....
Old 11-02-12, 01:25 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

Mix Vegetable oil, Lye, and "heet" fuel line antifreeze (methanol). You can also use a more readily available resource...Everclear.

for every 5 gallons of vegetable oil, add 1 bottle of "heet" (or a 1/2 a fifth of everclear), and one tablespoon of lye. heat the oil to thin it out, then mix with methanol, and lye, shake, let cool, add to fuel tank.

Bingo money.

Lye can be found in comet powder. or in CLR (POWDER, NOT LIQUID) no need to remove the other ingredients, as they will not be harmful to your engine. You can also use regular drain-o in liquid form.

In all honesty, the diesel would burn the veggie oil straight out, just not for very long, it is too thick and will burn up your pump and injectors in about 500 miles. Thats why it must be thinned to diesel consistency.

Hope this helps. We do this in the military now, alot. Especially down-range. The army has gotten smart and learned that all the veggie oil the dining facilities waste can be put to good use.

Last edited by ArmyofOne; 11-02-12 at 01:29 PM.
Old 11-02-12, 01:31 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

Also, forgot to mention, if using waste oil instead of new oil as a base, be sure to use a rag or towel to filter out your chunks of crap so you dont clog a fuel line or injector. You can just put the rag over the filler neck of your gas can and pour fuel out through it.
Old 11-02-12, 02:01 PM
po1qw
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Och where you live man I got you if anything, I waited 5 hours last night in the cold to fill up my car and my friends car, it was so cold man we couldn't turn on the heat whatsoever and there were cars lined up over 20 block (the army reserve for gas was worst it lined all the way down the belt parkway)...Some cars were just on neutral what a sad sight to see people pushing their cars into the gas station for gas.

Some good news would be this http://www.governor.ny.gov/press/110...s-distribution

Trucks were coming in overnight i heard so hopefully things will be back and rolling by Monday
Old 11-02-12, 03:30 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

This is so ridiculous, as if we dont have enough problems here in NY, now the gas shortages.

I wonder if I can get home heating oil, afaik its the same as diesel fuel.
Old 11-03-12, 03:55 PM
po1qw
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Och just a heads up, one of my co-works at Hyundai informed me of a bunch of people coming with their tanks filled with a mix of water and gas.. so if you are pumping make sure you bring a bottle and check these ****** are going ham on us, 5$ dollars a gallon
Old 11-03-12, 04:41 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

I actually drove to West Bubblepluck, NJ this morning and filled up with diesel. Came back and have 7/8 of a tank full. Gotta love diesel fuel economy.
Old 11-03-12, 05:17 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
I actually drove to West Bubblepluck, NJ this morning and filled up with diesel. Came back and have 7/8 of a tank full. Gotta love diesel fuel economy.
So then, your truck was saved? Glad to hear it. In another forum, you indicated that all your vehicles were lost in the flood.
Old 11-03-12, 05:26 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
there's just no way to buy gas/diesel. Most gas stations are closed, and those that do have gas, have 3 hour long lines and they run out before everyone gets filled up.
That happened all over the U.S. (twice) during the oil crises of 1973/74 and again in 1979. Many of the older guys here at CL will probably remember it.
Old 11-03-12, 05:30 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
So then, your truck was saved? Glad to hear it. In another forum, you indicated that all your vehicles were lost in the flood.
Yep, I thought it was lost after I saw it being filled up with water, but it started and drives. I did update the other thread, you can check it for more details.
Old 11-03-12, 05:44 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

An old trick we used to use fueling aircraft for filtering and removing water from gasoline was to pour it through a huge funnel lined with a chamois. At altitude the last thing you want is a clogged fuel line or ice to form in the carb from water in the fuel. The chamois skin will pass the gasoline through while absorbing the water. You could do this pouring through the chamois into a bucket (you need to pour through a pretty large surface area), then into the gas can and from there into your fuel tank, but that extra step in handling just makes it that much more dangerous. Here's a contemporary product:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=ylbObe9OgEM

Last edited by Lil4X; 11-03-12 at 05:49 PM.
Old 11-03-12, 05:51 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
That happened all over the U.S. (twice) during the oil crises of 1973/74 and again in 1979. Many of the older guys here at CL will probably remember it.
In 1979, while late for work waiting in a gas line the battery on my watch died. That was the day of the REAL energy crisis!
Old 11-05-12, 07:13 AM
LexFather

Saw a truck running veggie oil at a meet 3 weeks ago. Neato!!

Old 11-05-12, 08:23 AM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OT: WTF Mike, new name??

Quick Reply: Running diesel on vegetable oil?