Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MB announcing C & S-class Convertibles (along w/ 11 new models)

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-12, 09:54 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts
Default MB announcing C & S-class Convertibles (along w/ 11 new models)

Mercedes North American boss Steve Cannon announced that it will offer both C- and S-Class convertibles to U.S. buyers in the near future.

Despite already offering 19 models in the U.S. market, Cannon says there will be another 11 coming soon as part of a pitch by the brand to improve Millennial appeal. While that’s not necessarily news — Mercedes announced that the A-Class would see North American sale in Geneva — Cannon’s announcement carried new nuggets of information, not the least of which was the convertible C-Class.

Mercedes will also have a stronger stance to snag younger customers by offering a more affordable convertible. Currently, it’s cheapest ragtop option is the E-Class, which starts around $50,000. BMW can already woo buyers with a convertible 3 Series or even 1 Series for those that don’t mind the smaller car.

There will also be stretched and convertible versions of the brand’s flagship S-Class, although this car obviously won’t be aimed at younger buyers. What will be, on the other hand, will be the CLA, set for U.S. sale in 2013 along with a refreshed E-Class.

But bloating its lineup with 11 more cars might have the opposite effect of what the brand expects. While Mercedes fervently tries to compete with other luxury brands, it could risk cannibalizing sales from current customers.

Cannon doesn’t think that will be a problem and he could be right considering at least a chunk of the new products will appeal to buyers that aren’t likely to look at buying a Mercedes now.
http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...nd-growth.html
Old 10-26-12, 10:06 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Ambitious. Models for everyone!
Old 10-26-12, 10:22 AM
LexFather

They are on a mission for more models

Should be pretty cool, I do agree cannibalization could be an issue. Curious about the CLA

Old 10-26-12, 11:40 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

WOW. even more cars in the Benz lineup. These dealers are going to need to grow to stock all of the flavors of Mercedes
Old 10-28-12, 11:21 AM
Mbenz528i
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It will be interesting to see what they come up with. Should be exciting. Although I think the article is misleading though. The expansion is not as aggressive as it sounds. Remember engine designations such as S550 and S400 are considered two seperate models. So once they add the A, CLA, and convertibles, the different engines will cover the rest. Figure an A250, CLA 250, CLA 350, CLA63 AMG, C250 convertible, C350 convertible, C63 AMG Convertible, S550 convertible, S400 convertible, and S63 AMG Convertible can be your 11 models right there.
Old 10-28-12, 07:41 PM
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

With all of the increasing volume, Mercedes,imo, is losing some of its exclusivity and specialness it has. Its starting to compete with mainstream brands so why not launch a mainstream subdivison to compete with mainstream makers and save the elite status for Mercedes. Volkswagen/Audi is the perfect euro competitor to compete directly with Toyota/Lexus.
Old 10-29-12, 09:08 AM
GS3Tek

Received 163 Likes on 124 Posts

"You don't have super rich parents to buy you that SLS? Have no fear. "

"Even you my friend, the one making low wage while living at your parent's home with no other financial responsibility can afford a Mercedes"

"Doesn't matter if it's the bottom of the barrel model, you can still tell your friend you have a "Mercedes"