Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Acura NSX News

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-15, 10:12 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
I don't see a bird beak, and I think the front looks quite alright ...

The car looks better than the R8 in fact ......
agreed, compared to ANY other acura out there, i think this nsx integrates that front grille design very well already
Old 01-19-15, 10:16 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

I'm sure Honda/Acura will be all too happy to give Alonso a good deal on a NSX. Good publicity for them
Old 01-19-15, 03:49 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Acura NSX is industry's first supercar with a female design lead

Michelle Christensen. Unless you've been casting about the web for some behind-the-scenes takes on recent exotic car launches or were unusually curious during the early days of the sport crossover trend, her name probably means nothing to you. She grew up in Northern California, where her family drag-raced. Venerables like the 1932 Ford, Plymouth GTX, and Dodge Super Bee rolled through her family garage. And Christensen grew up designing prom dresses for friends and dreaming of working in a pit crew. In fact, she didn't even realize car design was a real profession until junior high, when her father pointed out Chip Foose at a car show. After that, she was hooked, so she went to Art Center College of Design in Pasadena, where she reimagined the Plymouth Barracuda as her senior project. Today, Christensen can add the title of lead exterior designer on the 2016 Acura NSX to her resume.

The first woman to lead the shape of a supercar, Christensen actually opened up her "First!" account with Acura in 2005 when the company swooped her up the night of graduation and she became its first female exterior car designer. Her first sketch on the job was a concept for the ZDX, and the bigwigs chose her design for production.

She joined the NSX team after the mid-engined concept was introduced at the 2012 Detroit Auto Show, replacing the front-engined V10 concept (we encourage you to go back and look at what was versus what is). Christensen thereafter led a crew of eight through a rework of the sheetmetal, with the focus being to keep the "emotional, 3-D kind of feeling." Reminiscing about her family's utterly unadorned '32 Ford hot rod, she said the NSX team was committed to keeping the design simple and light.

Wind tunnel work led to larger bumper, hood and side intakes for better airflow on the production model. That, along with a switch in engine position, gave them a chance to go aggressive and to not only "punch more holes in it and make it more exotic," but also "take it to the gym and beef it up." In line with its decidedly un-retro rebirth, the third brake light that runs across the decklid is about the only nod to its predecessor.

At age 34, we're certain we haven't seen the last of Christensen or her designs.
http://www.autoblog.com/2015/01/19/a...e-christensen/
Old 01-20-15, 02:34 PM
gymratter
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the chick looks better than the car

Old 01-21-15, 12:56 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Vh_Supra26

I'm just referring to styling. Yes it did have some odd cues here and there. But look at the overall design. IMO, the overall look and proportions resemble the original NSX more closely than any of the concepts that would follow. I think a lot of people are missing the bigger picture. The HSC could have evolved into a beautiful NSX replacement.

If you remove all the badges you can clearly see the NSX's DNA in the HSC. For those that didn't know, Road and Track put the NSX and HSC together on the track. For those that saw and read the article there is no denying that the HSC is heavy influenced by the NSX.

On the other hand the new NSX shows no resemblances towards the NSX at all. I have heard a lot of people saying Honda just took the R8 and throw on the bird beak. I know some people could care less and actually want new models to look nothing like past models. But too me its always nice when car markers show past styling cues in future cars. Example are the new Ford GT and Toyota FT-1 concept (2000GT/MKIV Supra).

The HSC could have been developed into a decent looking next generation NSX, I wish it was but as the HSC concept was it did not hold a candle to the original NSX's styling and looked awkward in same angles, the HSC looked like a mix between a 360 Modena, NSX, with some strange styling cues thrown in. It has a more similar look and proportion to the original NSX because I believe it was based on the same platform/further development of that platform, had a similar powertrain, and it was a earlier design with less strict crash standards. It would have been nice if the HSC came out a few years earlier and they developed it into a new generation NSX around 99 or 2000 with a nice power upgrade, interior, transmission upgrade and then further developed into what we have now but when the HSC concept came out many wanted a bigger engine with more power and the looks were not seen as a upgrade so they went in a different direction.

The new NSX is a little different because it is based on a totally new platform with a totally new type of powertrain plus it has to be designed around modern crash standards. I still see NSX in the design. When I saw "The Avengers" and saw Robert Downey Jr. get out of that car in the end I immediately thought it looked like a modern/futuristic interpretation of a NSX, no other car crossed my mind. I disagree about the FT1 having Supra styling cues, I don't see them especially with the F1 pointed nose, rear end, windshield/side glass, very low stance, and more dramatic styling touches, it lacks the most of the cues of the last Supra like the high loop spoiler, round tail lights, chunkier GT looks though I still think the FT1 is good looking and has potential.

I don't see R8 in the new NSX either. They really look nothing alike aside from sharing the basic 2 door mid engine shape but even the side profiles are different, only similarity is maybe a top view of the way the roof goes into rear.. R8 is a rounded design like most Audi's with a lot of heft and detailing past the door with a more mid engine Audi tt look, the NSX is a angular design like most Acura's that is flatter and sleeker and more Ferrari like. I think one of the main reasons people say they look similar is because the R8 was said to be the most modern sports car that could be considered a modern NSX(even though it wasn't) and people start comparing the R8 to the NSX over a Ferrari.

Still, I think the NSX so far has hit all the right marks so far
-Exotic mid engine layout/styling
-Longitudinal engine layout
-Unique DOHC tt V6 with the most advanced hybrid system making over 550hp
-9 speed DSG
-Hints of future Type R model.

Can't wait until they test it and see what it can do.
Old 01-22-15, 09:58 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Anyways, moving on. Back on topic w/ NSX? I didn't mean to take the spot light away from the NSX. Besides, the new Ford GT already did that in Detroit lol

We have a FT1 thread below.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...1-concept.html
Old 01-22-15, 10:24 AM
cino
Lexus Champion

Anyways, moving on. Back on topic w/ NSX? I didn't mean to take the spot light away from the NSX. Besides, the new Ford GT already did that in Detroit lol

Not quite. NSX didn't have its show stolen by Ford GT. It's just like saying Huracan got its show stolen by new R8, which is not true. They are entirely different cars for different people. Did you hear Honda bragging about everyday supercar, killer at the track? I'm sure as h*** Ford GT can't do that.
Old 01-22-15, 12:08 PM
gymratter
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by cino
Not quite. NSX didn't have its show stolen by Ford GT. It's just like saying Huracan got its show stolen by new R8, which is not true. They are entirely different cars for different people. Did you hear Honda bragging about everyday supercar, killer at the track? I'm sure as h*** Ford GT can't do that.
im not sure why you are bring up the Huracan and R8. there is like a $100k price differences between the two. also the Huracan was unveiled years after the R8 was.

sorry but i also have to agreed that the GT was front and center. i dont care if one is a hybrid while the other isnt. thats not going to stop people and the media from comparing the two. just watch the unveiling video. the crowd went crazy over the GT, the NSX on the other hand

now as far as performances goes. no one can really say at this point. but IMO the NSX may need more care and maintenance due to the fact that it is a hybrid. idk, will have to wait and see.
Old 01-22-15, 12:45 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by gymratter
im not sure why you are bring up the Huracan and R8. there is like a $100k price differences between the two. also the Huracan was unveiled years after the R8 was.

sorry but i also have to agreed that the GT was front and center. i dont care if one is a hybrid while the other isnt. thats not going to stop people and the media from comparing the two. just watch the unveiling video. the crowd went crazy over the GT, the NSX on the other hand

now as far as performances goes. no one can really say at this point. but IMO the NSX may need more care and maintenance due to the fact that it is a hybrid. idk, will have to wait and see.
Wasn't NSX what we already expected 3 years ago? the differences are, Honda just upped their targeted hp from 450hp-ish to 550hp-ish and gave it huge vents to fix with overheating issue.

You contradict yourself in the bold. If engine set up isn't a matter, then 100K difference isn't either. Have you ever seen GT-R vs Veyron, M3/4 vs Corvette, Cayman vs 911? People will compare everything.

We probably don't read and watch the same thing because what I read and watched, NSX, GT, and a year old FT1 got a lot of attention from people at Detroit Show. Both NSX and GT got the same media attention.

Again, hybrid car done right will require the same maintenance has conventional gasoline. Prius as reference... ok ok Camry or Highlander... still not good enough? GS/LS hybrid.... still not quite enough then we can only wait for reliability report.
Old 01-22-15, 01:11 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

thanks, so i moved your ft-1 post and related to that thread.
Old 01-22-15, 01:15 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Those pics you posted to me showed even more the FT-1 concept has very little resemblance to the last Supra. I see more Viper, last RX-7, and TVR Sagaris but I still see a nice looking car and hope Toyota builds it but this is the NSX thread.

Don't think the Ford GT took the spot light from the NSX. Both were big deals. The NSX made the huge headlines when the first concept was shown around 2012, 2nd concept was not going to be as big, and the final production version was going to be even less headline making unless something drastically changed because people already knew basically what was coming with the production NSX and what to expect. The Ford GT was more of a surprise, production version is not going to get as big headline/attention either.

Just looking now on CL the NSX thread is 43 pages long so far from the 2012 Auto show for a low volume expensive non Lexus car/brand that has yet to hit the streets or be tested so the interest and spot light was certainly there, NSX comments are 13 pages long since the debut and still at the top of the front page on CL with comments being made recently today. Ford GT is only 8 pages long since debut and is already back to the third page with no comments for 2 days.

Can't wait for the NSX, but just looking forward to the GT from what I have seen and read. The last one fizzled out, had a ton of issues, and was not the legend or success the original GT40 was. The main thing to really look forward to for the GT is if it retains all the styling elements which are kind of overdone and light weight. I think a new GT will likely be priced well over 200K, very low volume, and still won't do anything the NSX can't do or be the reliable, comfortable, highly advanced, daily driver as well as performance car the NSX was engineered to be. We will see.
Old 01-22-15, 01:29 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

"Enthusiasts" just love to bash Acura. There were talks about GT-R Hybrid, LC hybrid Super tourer, where are they now? Honda, the most hated Japanese brand by "enthusiasts" bring you the most advanced Supercar at sub 200K. Even majority of media admitted that bringing back NSX was a big deal, people still hate it because it's Acura. Having Honda badge on it, "enthusiasts" lose their mind.
Old 01-22-15, 01:32 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by gymratter

People were not snoozing at the NSX unveil It was packed, there was a ton of interest and excitement, people were constantly crowding around the car hours and days after the unveil, the reaction was extremely positive. This from a car that people knew from 2012 and knew for certain months ago was coming to that show, it was simply a production version of almost the same concept car we have seen for 3 years. What kind of reaction did you expect?

The GT came as a total surprise, nobody knew what it was going to look like, almost nobody knew it was even coming or they were doing another GT so of course it got a bigger surprise reaction from the crowd which always happens when you totally surprise them and keep something secret.
Old 01-22-15, 01:42 PM
gymratter
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by cino
Wasn't NSX what we already expected 3 years ago? the differences are, Honda just upped their targeted hp from 450hp-ish to 550hp-ish and gave it huge vents to fix with overheating issue.

You contradict yourself in the bold. If engine set up isn't a matter, then 100K difference isn't either. Have you ever seen GT-R vs Veyron, M3/4 vs Corvette, Cayman vs 911? People will compare everything.

We probably don't read and watch the same thing because what I read and watched, NSX, GT, and a year old FT1 got a lot of attention from people at Detroit Show. Both NSX and GT got the same media attention.

Again, hybrid car done right will require the same maintenance has conventional gasoline. Prius as reference... ok ok Camry or Highlander... still not good enough? GS/LS hybrid.... still not quite enough then we can only wait for reliability report.
all i stated that there was a price differences. also i also stated that the Lambo came years after the Audi, so how did the Huracan take the spot light from the R8? maybe you should start making some sense first.

it was the official unveiling video of both cars. when Ford showed off the GT, people where cheering and applauding. rewatch your NSX video. when it drove onto the floor the crowd was dead silence. they only stated to applauded when the speaker announce the name of the Honda official.

right, but none of them are used for everyday supercar track killer
Old 01-22-15, 01:49 PM
gymratter
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by UDel
People were not snoozing at the NSX unveil It was packed, there was a ton of interest and excitement, people were constantly crowding around the car hours and days after the unveil, the reaction was extremely positive. This from a car that people knew from 2012 and knew for certain months ago was coming to that show, it was simply a production version of almost the same concept car we have seen for 3 years. What kind of reaction did you expect?

The GT came as a total surprise, nobody knew what it was going to look like, almost nobody knew it was even coming or they were doing another GT so of course it got a bigger surprise reaction from the crowd which always happens when you totally surprise them and keep something secret.
actually your wrong. reports of a new GT has been around for months now. everyone knew it was coming.

are we watching the same video? afterwards yes people stayed to take photos. that is there job... recall when Toyota showed the FTHS concept. it was packed, people were crowed around to take photos. but guess what? they were only doing their jobs. afterward many media source said it was ugly and everyone bashed on it.

during the 2012 unveiling of the NSX concept it was the same reaction from the crowd. no one applauded; the crowd was dead

Quick Reply: Acura NSX News