Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Acura NSX News

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-15, 06:28 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Sometimes there are far more variables than just a badge to justify price. LFA is one of those examples.

Good for Acura. Improve your image, let the NSX be their 'LFA' so to speak and spark the change necessarily for Acura to be mentioned when one is car shopping.
Very True - hopefully the performance will be great.
LFA was built to a much higher standard imo but the Lexus name hurt it.
Its great investment now as i think its going up in value and will be highly collectible in future.

Hopefully this is the spark Acura needs to be relevant again.
Old 01-16-15, 06:30 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think this looks way better IMO.

Old 01-17-15, 04:00 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Agreed but the market is flooded with performance cars today compared to early 90s.
On the low end u got MB GT, Audi R8, 911 turbo/gt3, AM Vantage, BMW i8.
Over 200k, u got 650s, 458, and Huracan.

The readons NSX stood out 25 yrs ago do not exist today.
Today even Ferraris have decent reliability and build quality is solid.

As u know Name Brand is huge in this segment as well.
So what does justify 100k+ price tag of MB GT, R8, i8, Vantage or Turbo but does not justify NSX? What logic says its ok to drop 100 grand on R8 but not on NSX?

Forget about reliability thing, that was something that came along with NSX. This one is all about the drivetrain and hybrid setup. And no Ferraris are still not easy to maintain, especially not cheap to maintain at all and their so called reliability has nothing to do with Japanese reliability we refer here. The first "reliable" mid-engine F car is F430 and it goes up to 50k miles, after that you better be ready to empty your pockets. Californias might be different but then again its no mid-engine car. So that's a noob myth that Ferraris of today are reliable and easy to maintain, that's something you learn when you get that used F430 for €60,000 as your first Ferrari and then the scheduled service receipt shows €2,300. If they have to work on the engine then you can easily add €5,000 more on top of that.
Old 01-17-15, 08:16 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

yeah, enjoy the thousand dollar oil changes on a ferrari.

i suspect this nsx, with the electric motors to aid launch, is going to be lightning quick. like sub-4 second 0-60.
Old 01-17-15, 09:25 AM
Levi68
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
yeah, enjoy the thousand dollar oil changes on a ferrari.

i suspect this nsx, with the electric motors to aid launch, is going to be lightning quick. like sub-4 second 0-60.
More like sub-3 second 0-100kph.
Old 01-17-15, 11:45 AM
Levi68
Pole Position

Here it has different wheels, some that look 'in-house' designed and similar to previous NSX concepts in terms of style. The revealed NSX has wheel that look like BBS FI, and thus more after market.
Old 01-17-15, 11:55 AM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Vh_Supra26

The front is arguably better, the rear looks weird. Tail lights look like an afterthought.
Old 01-17-15, 01:09 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Agreed but the market is flooded with performance cars today compared to early 90s.
On the low end u got MB GT, Audi R8, 911 turbo/gt3, AM Vantage, BMW i8.
Over 200k, u got 650s, 458, and Huracan.

The readons NSX stood out 25 yrs ago do not exist today.
Today even Ferraris have decent reliability and build quality is solid.

As u know Name Brand is huge in this segment as well.
MB GT, R8, 911 t/gt3, Vantage, i8 are not nearly as special or as advanced as the new NSX, most do not make anwhere near as much power or have anywhere near as much performance especially the i8, Vantage, GT3, R8 V8. That is not even getting into the reliability and maintenance issues of some of those cars especially the R8, Vantage

With the 458 and Huracan you are talking over 230K and the 650S over 260K, with those cars/brands and their dealerships that sell them 99% of the time you are paying a great deal over MSRP for them too so it is more realistic to say they are all over 250K compared to the 155ish NSX making the competitive NSX that much of a better buy.

Many of the reasons the NSX stood out 25 years ago that do not exist today is because the NSX changed the way exotics/supercars were made. Ferrari's have decent reliability these days for Ferrari's, not compared to a Acura, Lexus, or even a base 911. They are still extremely expensive to fix when something goes wrong and expensive to maintain compared to what a NSX will cost and need really expensive extensive overhauls/rebuilds on engines and other parts before 100K miles. Ferrari's take huge hits in depreciation when any kind of miles are put on them too where NSX's don't take as great hits because they are still reliable and inexpensive to maintain even as daily drivers.

It is true that name brand is huge in this segment but the NSX is a legendary name/car/icon with a legendary history and if they pulled it off with the new one it is fully worth the 150K price. There is no way you were going to get that kind of power, performance, technology, build quality, and reliability for 100K in the new NSX. The NSX was never affordable or bargain priced. Priced at 150K it is still a hell of a car for the money and a bargain compared to what the competition offers like the last one was.
Old 01-17-15, 01:18 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

I always thought the HSC had some weird styling cues especially the way the rear glass curved and side windows were shaped that made it look off, the rear end was interesting but I don't know if it worked being that low without some kind of integrated spoiler, the front end seemed too plain. The original NSX looked far better and the new one looks better in my opinion.

The HSC was only supposed to have a larger tuned C series NSX engine to 3.5 liters with around 350hp from what I read, it would have done a lot with what power it made but it still would have been on the lower side for supercars, maybe a high tuned model would have been around 400hp but I think buyers wanted bigger power/bigger engine at that time which is why the HSC concept was not as big of a hit at the auto show as it could have been.
Old 01-17-15, 06:52 PM
3rdDrawer
Driver School Candidate

They just will not give up on the beak.

I hope it turns out to live up to the hype, I'm rooting for them. If it does it may green light more sports cars from acura. Something they do better than luxury.
Old 01-17-15, 07:11 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jwong77
The front is arguably better, the rear looks weird. Tail lights look like an afterthought.
Right, the taillights did look a little odd. But we also have to keep in mind that this is a very early concept from 2003.

Originally Posted by UDel
I always thought the HSC had some weird styling cues especially the way the rear glass curved and side windows were shaped that made it look off, the rear end was interesting but I don't know if it worked being that low without some kind of integrated spoiler, the front end seemed too plain. The original NSX looked far better and the new one looks better in my opinion.

The HSC was only supposed to have a larger tuned C series NSX engine to 3.5 liters with around 350hp from what I read, it would have done a lot with what power it made but it still would have been on the lower side for supercars, maybe a high tuned model would have been around 400hp but I think buyers wanted bigger power/bigger engine at that time which is why the HSC concept was not as big of a hit at the auto show as it could have been.
I'm just referring to styling. Yes it did have some odd cues here and there. But look at the overall design. IMO, the overall look and proportions resemble the original NSX more closely than any of the concepts that would follow. I think a lot of people are missing the bigger picture. The HSC could have evolved into a beautiful NSX replacement.

If you remove all the badges you can clearly see the NSX's DNA in the HSC. For those that didn't know, Road and Track put the NSX and HSC together on the track. For those that saw and read the article there is no denying that the HSC is heavy influenced by the NSX.

On the other hand the new NSX shows no resemblances towards the NSX at all. I have heard a lot of people saying Honda just took the R8 and throw on the bird beak. I know some people could care less and actually want new models to look nothing like past models. But too me its always nice when car markers show past styling cues in future cars. Example are the new Ford GT and Toyota FT-1 concept (2000GT/MKIV Supra).

Last edited by Vh_Supra26; 01-17-15 at 07:14 PM.
Old 01-17-15, 08:15 PM
EthanV
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Levi68

Here it has different wheels, some that look 'in-house' designed and similar to previous NSX concepts in terms of style. The revealed NSX has wheel that look like BBS FI, and thus more after market.
Thats the exact same wheel from revealed. They look different because the wheels were parked on different angle..
Old 01-17-15, 10:13 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by EthanV

Thats the exact same wheel from revealed. They look different because the wheels were parked on different angle..
Look again, this is more flower-y, and the other one is like BBS wheels.
Old 01-17-15, 10:21 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

i think you said that was over 10 years ago, before the engine was switched 90 degrees requiring the back to change a lot.

oh and i disagree 100% - i don't think that looks better at all. and it doesn't matter either way, that concept is long since in the trash heap.
Old 01-18-15, 06:41 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i think you said that was over 10 years ago, before the engine was switched 90 degrees requiring the back to change a lot.

oh and i disagree 100% - i don't think that looks better at all. and it doesn't matter either way, that concept is long since in the trash heap.
Yes it was from 2003. Again, was just referring to styling. x2, it doesn't really matter at this point, but its fun to talk about. You don't think the HSC resemblances the NSX more? From what I have seen, a large number enthusiasts love it when past styling cues are integrated into new models. For example, lets look back when Toyota debut the FT-HS concept. Supra and Toyota enthusiasts hated it. 1. the front end was kinda ugly. But 2, a lot of people complained it looked nothing like the Supra. Fast forward a few years later and Toyota gave us the FT-1 concept. Supra fanboys love it for the most part. It clearly shows styling cues from the 2000GT and MKIV.

Again, its just my preferences. I'm just not feeling the front end on the new NSX; otherwise its actually not bad. Only time will tell if the public likes this new NSX.

Last edited by Vh_Supra26; 01-18-15 at 07:45 PM.

Quick Reply: Acura NSX News