Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Acura NSX News

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-15, 09:02 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Vh_Supra26

In that color (bright red) and body-style, it looks almost like a Ferrari.
Old 01-14-15, 10:43 AM
gymratter
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

love everything, but the front end. it still had the stupid bird beak, but IMO the NSX II concept looked a bit cleaner.
Old 01-14-15, 06:44 PM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

1. This car looks nothing like R8, if anything it is more similar in shape to McLaren MP4. Nose is the only resemblance to R8 but in real life it has nothing to do with it.

1b. Looks better than the mess known as F458 Italia

2. People are comparing this to i8 for some reason. I really don't know why, i8 is a just an average HPEV package that resorted to extreme weight savings that just skyrocketed the price. This thing has the state of the art sports car hybrid setup.

3. It will run circles around Ford GT. All that talk how Ford stole the thunder .. yeah

*flies away*
Old 01-14-15, 07:24 PM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 121 Likes on 94 Posts

I believe the i8 element derives from a similar price point and the exotic performance hybrid aspect.

The i8 is a hit so we should be ok with the compare.

Sure, it is not dialed up on the performance side but it is dialed way up on the cool exotic look side.

Rich folks who own snazzy real estate must have one to put in the driveway or park in front of the condo tower or the hippest restaurant.
Old 01-14-15, 09:07 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,103 Likes on 1,365 Posts

Originally Posted by gymratter
love everything, but the front end. it still had the stupid bird beak, but IMO the NSX II concept looked a bit cleaner.
lol, the front 'bird beak' on this nsx is a pretty tiny silver sliver across the top of the grill. could always paint it black to blend in.
Old 01-15-15, 05:43 AM
LOWFAST
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Vladi

3. It will run circles around Ford GT. All that talk how Ford stole the thunder .. yeah

*flies away*
We will have to wait until these two are on the road, however my money would be on the GT given it will most likely weigh less (no batteries to haul around) and have higher hp. But until then people will internet race all of these cars.

I am curious as to the price point, if it is closer to 100K they have a winner, if it creeps up to close to $200k or more, well that would be a shame.
Old 01-15-15, 07:11 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LOWFAST
We will have to wait until these two are on the road, however my money would be on the GT given it will most likely weigh less (no batteries to haul around) and have higher hp. But until then people will internet race all of these cars.

I am curious as to the price point, if it is closer to 100K they have a winner, if it creeps up to close to $200k or more, well that would be a shame.
Not so sure if weight will have any implications here as much as how NSX can grab the road by its *****. Off the line acceleration will also be insane, right on par with GT-R.
Old 01-15-15, 09:08 AM
cino
Lexus Champion

I don't think NSX is going to weight any much more that GT. With comparable HP, torque is the key. NSX will use advanced AWD with instant torque of electric motors, it will blast past conventional twin turbo V6 GT at the corner.
Old 01-15-15, 09:12 AM
LOWFAST
Advanced

Originally Posted by cino
I don't think NSX is going to weight any much more that GT. With comparable HP, torque is the key. NSX will use advanced AWD with instant torque of electric motors, it will blast past conventional twin turbo V6 GT at the corner.
Maybe, maybe not, it is a bench racing and speculation until the specs are released and both get into the hands of drivers to test. I just don't think at this point you can say it will "run circles around the GT"
Old 01-15-15, 09:28 AM
cino
Lexus Champion

Maybe, maybe not, it is a bench racing and speculation until the specs are released and both get into the hands of drivers to test. I just don't think at this point you can say it will "run circles around the GT"
Of course it's speculation, but I would love to be proven wrong by guys over at Ford.
Old 01-15-15, 01:15 PM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Ford GT vs Honda NSX: FIGHT!
http://www.topgear.com/uk/photos/hon...how-2015-01-14
TG pits the Detroit Motor Show’s star supercars in a head to head battle. Which one gets your vote?

So, here we are in the aftermath of the first supercar supernova of 2015. At the Detroit Motor Show, Honda finally, finally showed us the production version of the long-awaited NSX hybrid supercar, set to appear by the end of the year.

Not to be outdone at its home show however, Ford pulled a bit of a blinder too; to much surprise, it rolled out the brand new GT supercar, an evolution of Jeremy's favourite blue-collar supercar from the last decade, and a car that can trace its bloodline all the way back to those lovely GT40s from the 1960s.

So, two brand new supercars jostling in the circa-600bhp playground, both scheduled to land by early 2016. And both, you'll have to admit, look bloody amazing.

They are however, two very different ways of going about the whole supercar business. In the red corner, we have a complex, petrol-electric hybrid with processing power greater than Top Gear's collective knowhow is able to comprehend. In the blue corner? Um, a big blue Ford with a powerful turbocharged engine and lots of aero.

No doubt both will square up against each other for real next year, but how does the fight pan out on paper? TG rounds up everything you need to know about both supercars here.

Seconds out, round one...

Powertrain: Honda NSX

Like the McLaren P1 and Porsche 918, the new NSX is a hybrid, and it's quite a complicated setup. At its heart sits a twin-turbocharged V6, most likely a 3.5-litre, powering the rear wheels. And any relation to the upcoming Honda unit for McLaren's 2015 Formula One car is purely coincidental, we're told. Sure, Honda.

Then there are three electric motors; one each on the front wheels, and another mounted at the back to fill in the torque gap during the spool phase for the turbochargers.

This is all harnessed - somehow - by a nine-speed dual clutch automatic gearbox. So it's not rear- or front- wheel drive, but rather ‘Super-Handling All-Wheel Drive', according to Honda.

Total power? Somewhere very north of 550bhp.

Powertrain: Ford GT

Ford has also opted for a race-derived, big-hearted 3.5-litre V6 engine, based on the architecture of Ford's IMSA Daytona Prototype endurance racer. We're promised a wide power band and "impressive time-to-torque" characteristics.

There are two turbochargers, an all-new port/direct fuel-injection setup for better engine response, a low friction roller-finger-follower valvetrain (woohoo!) and a seven-speed dual clutch gearbox sending everything to the rear wheels.

Total power? Somewhere around the 600bhp mark. Game on.

Chassis: Honda NSX

Honda has made it clear that everything - engine, motors, battery pack - have all been ‘optimised' to keep the vehicle's mass low and centred.

There's fully independent, all-aluminium front and rear suspension, six-piston front and four-piston rear brake calipers with carbon-ceramic discs, and many modes that adjust the engine, motor, transmission and chassis response - it ranges in hardness from Quiet (electric only), Sport, Sport+ and Track. Even the engine's sound level can be adjusted.

As a final cherry, Honda has built in a launch mode into the new NSX, just like the Nissan GT-R. With all that grip and power, you'd better hold on tight...

Chassis: Ford GT

Ford has opted to use carbon fibre for the "ultra-stiff' chassis components, and has gone for a torsion bar and pushrod suspension setup, with an adjustable ride height. There are 20in wheels hiding carbon ceramic brake discs at all four corners, too.

And like the NSX, we're told the Ford GT will be offered with different driving modes.

Body/Aero: Honda NSX

Where the first NSX was built purely from aluminium, this second generation NSX uses a space frame design constructed of aluminium, high-strength steel and ‘other advanced materials'. The floor is carbon fibre - to take up ‘bending and torsional forces', and the body panels are built using a combination of aluminium and sheet moulding composite.

As for that body - now in its final, production-ready guise - we're told everything has been carefully positioned for total air-flow management for downforce and systems cooling. Using Honda's wind tunnel in Ohio, this production version boasts new bonnet and wing vents, modified side air intakes (to collect air for the engine) and an ‘optimised' rear spoiler to provide rear downforce.

It measures up at 4.4m long, 1.9m wide and just 1.2m high - all marginal differences from the concept.

Body/Aero: Ford GT

Ford is promising one of the best power-to-weight ratios of any production car. A big stake, but it'll do it via lots of lightweight elements; there's a carbon fibre passenger cell, aluminium front and rear subframes and carbon fibre body panels.

Aero's been pushed to the fore, too: there's aircraft inspiration about the GT's teardrop shape, a curved windshield to reduce drag, and active aero components including a rear spoiler that deploys reactively, able to adjust height and pitch angle to match conditions.

Interior: Honda NSX

Honda tells us the new NSX has been developed ‘from the inside out'; as such, everything focuses on the driver.

There's a TFT display that changes according to the driving mode selected, a power button nestled in the centre console, a handcrafted leather dash panel, and super-thin A-pillars for better visibility.

Interior: Ford GT

Just two seats - naturally - accessed by upwards-opening doors and bolted directly onto the carbon fibre cell. These fixed seats are, um, fixed, and you adjust the pedal box and steering column to fit around you.

Speaking of which, there are no stalks on the column, all functions being moved to the steering wheel - an ‘F1-style' wheel - together with a digital configurable instrument cluster.

Honda NSX vs Ford GT

Neither manufacturer has confirmed any performance figures, but we'd wager good money on both having 0-62mph times a fraction over three seconds, and top speeds nudging 200mph (the Ferrari 458 - long the benchmark for this sector - posts 3.4sec and 202mph for those metrics).

Old 01-15-15, 02:50 PM
Levi68
Pole Position

NSX may very likely run circles around any car under 500K.
Old 01-15-15, 02:54 PM
LOWFAST
Advanced

Man, some serious fan boys in here for a car that is not yet on the road and almost none of the specs have been leaked. Does it look good, yep. Do I wish I had cash for such a machine, yep. Is it the end all be all of quarter-million dollar supercars, well for that we have to wait and see.
Old 01-15-15, 03:53 PM
Vladi
Pole Position

Man, some serious fan boys in here for a car that is not yet on the road and almost none of the specs have been leaked. Does it look good, yep. Do I wish I had cash for such a machine, yep. Is it the end all be all of quarter-million dollar supercars, well for that we have to wait and see.
Oh come one we have to spice it up a bit

In all seriousness NSX hybrid setup is the most advanced hybrid setup in the world well surpassing 918 and especially P1 or LaFerrari, don't confuse it with matching the overall performance. Its half way there to the perfect car setup where each motor is driving each wheel. Having autonomous motors driving each wheel brings the game to whole another level, its the level where the cars of today wont stand a chance even with conventional mechanical or electric AWD setups. NSX will provide autonomy to only two wheels but that alone would be enough to feel the difference even if they do a half **** effort like they did with RLX hybrid. RLX hybrid was tuned for a smooth ride, electric motors are probably different to NSX as well and the most important part autonomous wheels are on the back which is still good but not good enough as having the autonomous front wheels.

Mitsubishi has studies about four wheel independent electric drive setups and data in there is insane how much of a difference it makes. Too bad they never employed anything like that yet even thought they were the first one to come up with the tech. Next gen Evo was a subject for the treatment probably at one point but it never happened, Outlander had to be affordable PHEV so only two motors were used instead of three or four. We might see the all four independent wheels in the next Monero/Pajero installment, who knows at this point.

So yeah on a short accelerating, twisty roads, if configured properly, NSX will be the one to beat.
Old 01-15-15, 03:58 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Not if the next GT-R has anything to say about it. Rumors of Hybrid and 700hp are swirling

Quick Reply: Acura NSX News