Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Acura NSX News

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-15, 06:32 PM
5gears-IS
Great Deal Guru

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
Default ........

Old 01-12-15, 07:10 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default My Beef With The New Acura NSX

I really don’t know what to make of the new Acura NSX, which at last, after two years of being paraded around the world, showed up in production guise at the 2015 NAIAS.

On one hand, it ticks all the right boxes you expect from a 21st century supercar these days: it looks wedgy, it’s a hybrid, its engine is turbocharged, the instrument binnacle is digital, and there are more touchscreen functions and buttons that you can shake a stick at.

Now, here comes the but…

First of all, the tech package: it’s being touted as a technological masterpiece, with a twin-turbocharged V6 and an electric motor powering the rear wheels and a couple of electric motors at the front, which makes it all-wheel drive.

I’m sure I’ve seen this concept before. Oh yes, it must have been the BMW i8. Sure, the internal combustion cylinder count is half that of the NSX and we don’t know the performance figures of the Acura, but even if they beat the BMW (as they probably will), I doubt that this matters much in the real world.

Then there’s the transmission. Dual-clutch gearboxes are obviously mandatory on every new supercar these days but it’s a nine-speeder. Good for consumption and low-low CO2 emissions, bad for when you’re in the mood for changing manually. In my book, that’s at least a couple of cogs too many.

Let’s set them aside as nit-picking, if you will. The beef is with Acura/Honda professing that it is channeling the spirit of the first NSX. Sorry, but I, for one, don’t see it.

The original NSX had a lean shape like nothing you had ever seen before. Its 2015 successor seems like Acura’s design team sat at a table, looked at all the supercars launched in the past few years and started picking up styling cues. Lamborghini Aventador exhaust, anyone? Lexus LFA rear air outlets? Maybe throw in a Ferrari 458 Italia-like profile for good measure? Oh, and those rear lights that are supposed to remind us of the original? They look like Aston Martin’s to me (pick a model, they’re all practically the same).

I am pretty sure it will more than stand a fair chance against its competitors. It may even run rings around them, which will be quite a feat as the bar has been set too high already.

Something is missing, though. I guess that “something” is a feature that will set it apart from its rivals. The first NSX was the supercar that taught Ferrari et all how supercars should be made and how they should handle. What does its reincarnation, other than the name, bring to the ring?
http://www.carscoops.com/2015/01/my-...acura-nsx.html
Old 01-12-15, 07:53 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,095 Likes on 1,358 Posts

Let’s set them aside as nit-picking, if you will.
yes let's.

there were plenty of critics of the original nsx also, as too slow, too 'easy to drive', too upsetting to the 'establishment order', blah blah.

if the tech package all works pretty harmoniously and reliably (not to mention being fast), they will have really accomplished something. if instead of feels like a rube goldberg machine, then they will have failed.
Old 01-12-15, 08:04 PM
rotaryrock
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pretty but I can't help seeing a Mazda face with an R8 body.
Old 01-12-15, 08:17 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
there were plenty of critics of the original nsx also, as too slow, too 'easy to drive', too upsetting to the 'establishment order', blah blah.
That's awesome. Of course 'Ferrari' would have sufficed
Old 01-12-15, 08:26 PM
lexmenow
Lexus Champion

This car is ugly. 150k this better be a gtr killer
Old 01-12-15, 10:24 PM
tea
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i love it! way better looking than the R8 and GTR in this price range
Old 01-12-15, 11:33 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

we should ask ourselves..... what else can we get new for $150k ?

gimme the options.

The R8 has a fat middle section and makes the wheels look small. I like the proportions better on the nsx.

That said, if the nsx ends up costing more than an R8, it won't sell.
Attached Thumbnails Acura NSX News-kvovktzbgng3qunq47oh.png   Acura NSX News-2016-acura-nsx-202-876x535.jpg  

Last edited by pman6; 01-12-15 at 11:45 PM.
Old 01-12-15, 11:48 PM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Styling is a bit busy, but I like the overall shape of the car.

I don't care about power or lap time figures - to live up to its name, this new NSX has to handle well and deliver exceptional driver feedback. The short development period is worrying in this regard; some car mags boasted about how fast they were able to redesign this thing, but that is NOT a good thing - it takes tremendous time and effort to properly design and engineer a car for feedback, which is why so few manufacturers bother with the expense.
Old 01-13-15, 01:58 AM
Levi68
Pole Position

All I read as usually is a bunch of Japanese haters and badge *****s.

LFA>NSX>--------------------------------------------------------------------------->German, Italian, British, American
Old 01-13-15, 02:00 AM
Levi68
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
After seeing the car "in the flesh" and not the hyper realistic photos I feel a slight letdown. It's still very nice but doesn't quite have the exotic feel to it. Dunno can't put my finger on it.
I can put my finger on it for you:

Exotic Feel = Badge

Old 01-13-15, 04:48 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

IMO, the NSX has a better side profile than the R8. And yes, a new R8 is coming. But based on the spy shoots; I'm sure its still going to look very similar to the current model.
Old 01-13-15, 06:41 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Default New Acura NSX Press Kits Up for Auction at eBay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Acura-NSX-Exclusive-Naias-Press-Kit-With-Metal-Model-/121542732741?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c4c82ebc5
Ah, press days at international motor shows. Gotta love them; automotive journalists, company guests and lots of other people elbowing its other for the first look on the latest models.

What they also do get are press kits and other assorted stuff related to those models. These are supposed to be a gift from the company, given that the only people getting them besides the guests are actual customers.

Well, there’s always someone willing to make a quick buck by selling the press kit of a high-visibility, recently unveiled car. No matter what you think of it, the brand-new Acura NSX is one of these cars.

So, just one day after its official premiere at the 2015 North American International Auto Show, two NSX press kits are already up for auction at eBay, one of which comes with an exclusive metal model of Acura’s supercar.

Here's what the seller said:

"Available as an exclusive to select members of the media, this is the press kit for the next generation Acura NSX. Extremely limited edition, and includes jump drive with press information and photos, along with a heavy, solid stainless steel model of the vehicle. I've been doing auto shows for over 10 years, and this is without a doubt the coolest promo giveaway I have ever seen. Pictures are of a friends item, the one you get will be sealed and never opened. (They were only allowing one per person, and ran out rather quickly!)"

You can view them by clicking here and, if you want to, you have six days left to bid. Makes you wonder how long before a Ford GT one pops up, too…
http://www.carscoops.com/2015/01/new...r-auction.html
Old 01-13-15, 06:44 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

NSX was the one of the first reliable supercars you could drive everyday. It forced ferrari to dramatically increase its reliability
Old 01-13-15, 08:21 AM
doge
Formerly Bad Co

Originally Posted by TF109B
F1 has little relation to the road cars. The Mercedes F1 team isn't even German. The funniest part? The facilities and team used to be BAR HONDA before becoming Brawn GP then Mercedes. They just bought an existing team and injected money. Honda has plenty of race experience and tech. HPD, who run in wec and tusc. The Civic world touring cars. The NSX Super GT GT500. GT300 CR-Z etc.
I wasnt the one making the comparison.

Quick Reply: Acura NSX News