Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Acura NSX News

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-14, 02:05 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

cant be called a supercar until one burns down. Ferrari 458, lambos etc
Old 07-24-14, 02:18 PM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Vh_Supra26
I can't wait to see a NSX II, R36 GT-R, and MKV Supra (FT-1) comparison
I'm more looking forward to the comparison to the LFA II instead because I'm afraid the production FT-1 is going to be intentionally kept affordable and lower performing and not representative of what Toyota is really capable of. The NSX and the GT-R on the other hand do not have such a baggage of a higher-positioning model in their respective premium brands.
Old 07-24-14, 02:34 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
cant be called a supercar until one burns down. Ferrari 458, lambos etc
I like this post the best.

"Honda promised Autocar the NSX would bring us "the excitement of a [Ferrari] 458 at the price of the [Porsche] 911," when (if) it finally arrives."

Well, can't say Honda doesn't keep their word.

Originally Posted by ydooby
I'm more looking forward to the comparison to the LFA II instead because I'm afraid the production FT-1 is going to be intentionally kept affordable and lower performing and not representative of what Toyota is really capable of. The NSX and the GT-R on the other hand do not have such a baggage of a higher-positioning model in their respective premium brands.
But the "LFA II" is rumored to be twice as much as the current model. $800k? And didn't Lexus also said a car like that will only be built every 20 years or so?
Old 07-24-14, 03:06 PM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

But the "LFA II" is rumored to be twice as much as the current model. $800k? And didn't Lexus also said a car like that will only be built every 20 years or so?
Well things can change with an enthusiast like Mr. Toyoda at the helm. The "LFA II" is scheduled for a 2018 release according to some rumors.

My gut feeling tells me that the Supra MKV will be positioned against the Corvette, a great sports car for the money, instead of the GT-R and the NSX, a demonstration of the best technologies available to their makers, especially since Alex Shen, chief designer of CALTY, said in regard to the FT-1 that "it's a Toyota.. it ought to be affordable", and Kevin Hunter, president of CALTY, said that the target price point of the FT-1 is between $50k and $60k, which is way below the $100k-$150k price points of the GT-R and the NSX. (Hey it was you that posted the article.)
http://www.ft1club.com/forums/showth...price-tag-FT-1

Last edited by ydooby; 07-24-14 at 03:36 PM.
Old 07-24-14, 03:47 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Well things can change with an enthusiast like Mr. Toyoda at the helm. The "LFA II" is scheduled for a 2018 release according to some rumors.

My gut feeling tells me that the Supra MKV will be positioned against the Corvette, a great sports car for the money, instead of the GT-R and the NSX, a demonstration of the best technologies available to their makers, especially since Alex Shen, chief designer of CALTY, said in regard to the FT-1 that "it's a Toyota.. it ought to be affordable", and Kevin Hunter, president of CALTY, said that the target price point of the FT-1 is between $50k and $60k, which is way below the $100k-$150k price points of the GT-R and the NSX. (Hey it was you that posted the article.)
Correct, but that doesn't mean there won't be a high performance version or something along those lines. Also, the MKIV was priced less than the 1st gen NSX.

Supra Turbo 2dr Coupe: $39,900
NSX Base 2dr Coup: $69,500

http://www.cars.com/toyota/supra/1993/snapshot

http://www.cars.com/acura/nsx/1993/snapshot
Old 07-24-14, 03:50 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by LexFather
If anyone even remotely mentions the legendary Hiromu Naruse they need their head examined at the least. That is utterly disrespectful on levels that would **** off Mr. Toyoda himself.
Vh's comment was not disrespectful, just factual. he even said it was an honorable accident. please stop with the inflammatory rhetoric.
Old 07-24-14, 03:53 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Vh's comment was not disrespectful, just factual. he even said it was an honorable accident. please stop with the inflammatory rhetoric.
Thanks

But he sent me a PM explaining that his comment was directed towards UDel.
Old 07-24-14, 03:57 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
What on earth? What is inflammatory is the legendary Hiromu Naruse (RIP) dragged into this thread by some Honda fan who went to any length to defend the NSX. It is completely out of line and completely unrelated. Naruse-San was not driving on the track when he got in an accident. There was no LFA burning down on the track. Why is the LFA dragged into this? How disrepsectful do you have to be to bring up Naruse to prove some ridiculous point?

VH and I already spoke privately, he quoted Udel who is on my ignore list. For him to bring up Naruse is UTTERLY DISRESPECTFUL, PERIOD.

I respectfully ask you do some research on what took place here and on Hiromu Naruse who is as highly regarded as a Lexus/Toyota employee as they come.

Old 07-24-14, 04:13 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Well they tried.....
Old 07-24-14, 04:57 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Let's just please move on. Back on topic about the NSX catching on fire.
Old 07-24-14, 05:11 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

according to car and driver...

We’ve reported before that the NSX’s benchmarks include the Ferrari 458 Italia, Audi R8, and the Porsche 911, so their makers should consider themselves on notice
i was not aware this was a mid-engine design with the electric motors driving front wheels.

Powertrain: The NSX will be motivated by a hybrid powertrain featuring a 90-degree V-6 engine with two turbos. It will come mated to a dual-clutch automatic transmission with an integrated electric motor, with two additional electric motors each assigned to a front wheel. All of the above will be connected via Acura’s innovative Sport Hybrid SH-AWD system; a version of the RLX sedan uses similar technology, only in reverse, with the electric motors driving the rear wheels. We have been told, however, that the NSX will not simply be flipping the system around and will use a plethora of its own parts. Total system output is expected to exceed 500 horsepower.
http://www.caranddriver.com/news/201...py-photos-news

since they haven't been able to get the rlx hybrid out and with this last nsx mule failure, they obviously have a bunch of work to do.
Old 07-24-14, 05:16 PM
Need4Speed
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Acura has officially entered the super car Mafia and has been "Made"
Old 07-24-14, 05:53 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Thanks

But he sent me a PM explaining that his comment was directed towards UDel.
LOL, I thought I had the honor of being put on his ignore list

Anyway, it will interesting to find out what caused the fire after doing a investigation. The new changes to it look very good, they changed the front, added larger brakes and extending the spoiler in the rear compared to previous versions.

Last edited by UDel; 07-24-14 at 05:56 PM.
Old 07-25-14, 06:45 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

WorldCarFans is reporting there were 2 battery explosions that caused the fire. Can't take the heat i guess.

http://www.worldcarfans.com/11407257...e-up-in-flames
Old 07-25-14, 07:42 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My thought is that we won't see another LFA-type vehicle for a decade or so at least, considering the intensive costs and resources associated with the project. I'm quite sure that the SC F (F version of the LF-LC/SC) will become the halo sports car for Toyota Motor Corp. until something greater arrives. Rumors on next generation F powerplants are ~600hp from TT V8s, which is plenty of performance for super car status. I expect Lexus to continue their use of carbon fiber in F models, and to probably go all-out on the SC F, moreso than other F models, to fill the void of a top end sports car. I'm thinking CF roof, hood, trunk, perhaps other body panels as well. A high focus on lightweight materials, much like LFA.

I really wonder where Acura will price the NSX. The next Supra is rumored to be around $55-60k (I have heard 500hp+ TT V8), the RC F will be $70-80k, and then I assume that the SC/LF-LC will be priced around $90k to start, with an F version closer to $140k. The GT-R is a $100k car now, and I assume the NSX will be $90-100k as well?

Japanese sports cars are alive and well, that is for sure

Quick Reply: Acura NSX News