Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Acura NSX News

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-15, 01:07 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by BNR34
Yes.

I am comparing how long old technology equipment linger around after they passed their time
Except manual can be still be a fun technology with no real substitute for sports cars, not a cassette deck
Old 01-27-15, 06:29 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
might be only me, but Acura was cooler brand back then.
X2, I miss the days of the Legend, Integra, and the original NSX.
Old 01-27-15, 06:48 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,380 Posts

Originally Posted by vbx
the type r better be a 6mt.
no chance.

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
C7 Z06 still offers manual option
it's not a hybrid.

Originally Posted by Vh_Supra26
X2, I miss the days of the Legend, Integra, and the original NSX.
good times for sure (i had 5 spd legend coupe and 6 spd gs sedan!), but it just means you're getting older.
Old 01-27-15, 07:29 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by vbx
the type r better be a 6mt.
Why? Just to satisfy auto mag reviewers and other people who are not going to buy the car. The vast majority of people who actually buy expensive exotic cars don't want or buy manual transmission cars anymore. The take rate for the last manual Ferrari's was less then 5% which is why Ferrari, Lamborghini, McLaren, Bugatti, etc don't offer them anymore and why Porsche did away with them for the turbo/GT3 so it makes no sense to spend all that money to engineer a manual transmission which will be slower and less fuel efficient then a modern DCT not to mention clutch jobs on exotics are normally nightmares and wallet drainers.
Old 01-27-15, 09:06 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

agreed, no more mt. as much as i love mt, time move forward and mt is a thing in the past
Old 01-27-15, 09:24 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

I was in a Porsche dealership showroom couple days ago and except for the 911 turbo S which is PDK only , and the Panameras and SUVs, the rest of the cars: boxters, Caymans, and 911 Carrera and Carrera 4S coupes and convertibles in the showroom are all manual cars, so the dealer still do order them, so there must still be demand here ......
Old 01-28-15, 12:13 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

I was in a Porsche dealership showroom couple days ago and except for the 911 turbo S which is PDK only , and the Panameras and SUVs, the rest of the cars: boxters, Caymans, and 911 Carrera and Carrera 4S coupes and convertibles in the showroom are all manual cars, so the dealer still do order them, so there must still be demand here ......
i am sure the demand is there especially on niche market, but the trend is moving towards no more mt. even porsche is moving away (the latest gt3 debate is a clear indication), so i wouldn't really put much hope
Old 01-28-15, 12:42 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

LoL BMW dealers told me TEN years ago that 3 series (supposedly a driver's car) manual cars have to be special ordered and you have to be lucky to get to test drive one because none will be available unless a used one got traded in . So it's nothing new for North America, but I hope manuals will still be available for cars like cayman , boxters, corvettes and miata for years to come still ...

Last edited by Gojirra99; 01-28-15 at 01:02 PM.
Old 01-28-15, 01:57 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,380 Posts

this article from australia says 80% of porsches are now bought with pdk (auto).

http://www.drive.com.au/motor-news/p...214-2efl8.html

but that's still 20% stick which is nothing to dismiss.

then there's this article where a reporter whines about lack of stick on new gt3 and engineer tells him to shut up and drive.

“It used to be about engineering, but today German car companies are all about sales, sales, sales,” says Road & Track west coast editor Jason Cammisa. “It stinks, but you can’t blame Porsche: It’s a business, and there are more rich people who want prestige and easy speed than there are true enthusiasts who care about the driving experience.”
The massive sales of the Porsche Cayenne SUV and Panamera sedan bear that out.
Cammisa, who snagged an exclusive drive in the all-new GT3, quotes Andreas Preuninger, the engineer behind Porsche’s GT cars, saying, “I don’t get this Stone Age idea about what a 911 should be.” He’s speaking about the Porschophiles screaming bloody murder over the lack of a manual option in what is (used to be?) the brand’s most hardcore track weapon.
When Cammisa tacitly admitted to Preunigner that he’s among the whiners, the Porsche engineer responded, “Just shut up and drive the thing.” Cammisa did so and was more than impressed with Porsche’s latest speed demon, but still, something was missing.
“Putting an automatic in a GT3 is a sin in my book,” Cammisa told Wired. “Sure, it’s faster to 60 mph and it’ll be easier to turn consecutive fast laps on a race track, but in the process it walks away from what made all previous GT3s so brilliant: how much work/fun/excitement they were to drive on the street.”
That’s a sentiment echoed by driving enthusiasts the world over, but it’s not going to stem the rise of the automatic gearbox in high performance machines.
At this year’s Geneva Motor Show, where the GT3 debuted, Ferrari, Lamborghini and McLaren all showed off new breeds of hypercars set to go on sale this year. And all of them had some flavor of automated gearbox. But a car like the GT3 is supposed to be the last bastion of the purest driving experience. And now it’s gone, and that pains Cammisa, us and thousands of other drivers.
“If the manual ever does die, the GT3 should have been the last 911 to give it up, not the first,” says Cammisa. “But without a clutch pedal, it’ll be an easier sell the GT3 to really rich old guys who’ll use it to sit in traffic.”
http://www.wired.com/2013/05/porsche...-transmission/

besides, it's all pretty irrelevant as in 20 years hardly anyone (except the uber rich) will be driving themselves at all, and they won't really be driving as the car will still be doing almost all the work.
Old 01-28-15, 02:14 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

The SUV ' S tilted the % A LOT towards 80% I believe ......
Old 01-28-15, 03:32 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

All the manual cars in the showroom because nobody want to buy them, all the PDK cars are sold
Old 01-28-15, 03:54 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by BNR34
All the manual cars in the showroom because nobody want to buy them, all the PDK cars are sold
As I said with BMW even 10+years ago, they won't even order any for display if nobody buys them. I think Porsche still sell a good % of the lower hp 2-door models with manual transmission, where buyers know they are not the fastest but are going for driving enjoyment .

BTW, we are getting off topic, let's go back to the new NSX
Old 01-28-15, 04:19 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Nobody care about the new NSX, there is nothing to talk about
Old 01-28-15, 05:46 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

As I said with BMW even 10+years ago, they won't even order any for display if nobody buys them. I think Porsche still sell a good % of the lower hp 2-door models with manual transmission, where buyers know they are not the fastest but are going for driving enjoyment .

In NA mt is not as popular, but in Europe a lot of folks still prefer mt.
Old 01-28-15, 06:00 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 112 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by SNiiP3R
In NA mt is not as popular, but in Europe a lot of folks still prefer mt.
sure... a lot of it is because of the price and poor performance with small engines/ cheap cars - speed, refinement and mpg. Of course, we do learn to drive on the stick, so thats removing one of the big barriers.

Quick Reply: Acura NSX News