Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

"Configurator shows unsolicited alternatives to the electric EQA"

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-21, 06:11 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 213 Likes on 117 Posts
Default "Configurator shows unsolicited alternatives to the electric EQA"

When you read stuff like this, that's when you realize that some legacy car manufacturers still have a long way to go as far as pushing the EV agenda forward.

https://newsabc.net/anti-sales-at-me...ctric-car-eqa/
Old 02-09-21, 06:20 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

I think consumers will buy what they want to buy. Not everyone wants a Tesla. Not everyone even wants an EV at the moment.
Old 02-09-21, 06:56 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 213 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I think consumers will buy what they want to buy. Not everyone wants a Tesla. Not everyone even wants an EV at the moment.
An EV is definitely NOT for everyone at the moment. Agreed 100%.

Having said that, you missed the point of the article. The point is that why bother making an EV if you're going to upsell ICE alternatives? MB spent so much money developing the EQA, and then they turn around and stab it in the back. Makes zero sense.
Old 02-09-21, 07:03 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

It’s not a secret that you don’t get the same value when you compare EV to gas vehicles.
MB doesn’t want to lose clients.

Ppl may be interested in EQA but turned off by price, range etc so why not provide alternative options that are probably better and cheaper.
Old 02-09-21, 07:08 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

I think most ppl don’t want any EV but it’s being forced down our throats. Its a niche representing 1% of overall sales.

When Apple released the iPhone, Blackberry owned the smart phone market. Consumers and companies switched on their own bec Iphone was superior product with no downside.
If EVs are such a product then consumers will switch on their own without government rebates and artificial regulations trying to kill ICE cars. Just make a superior product.

I think Tesla is successful not because its an EV but because its a great car with tech features that ppl never seen before like Autopilot and interior interface. Even if it was ICE - it would still be a groundbreaking company with loyal client base.
Old 02-09-21, 07:11 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hameed
An EV is definitely NOT for everyone at the moment. Agreed 100%.

Having said that, you missed the point of the article. The point is that why bother making an EV if you're going to upsell ICE alternatives? MB spent so much money developing the EQA, and then they turn around and stab it in the back. Makes zero sense.
Because MB knows that not everyone does wants a EV. (See your first point)Is it true that a Tesla makes a better lease than buy?

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 02-09-21 at 07:15 AM.
Old 02-09-21, 07:17 AM
Felix
Pole Position

Received 460 Likes on 401 Posts

X2^^^^^ I sure don't need one.........
Old 02-09-21, 07:38 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Seems like a slow news day. Basic website algorithm either based on price/size of vehicle. They're not trying to actively thwart EV intenders to the ICE vehicles and throw the EQA under the bus.
Old 02-09-21, 08:21 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by Hameed
The point is that why bother making an EV if you're going to upsell ICE alternatives? MB spent so much money developing the EQA, and then they turn around and stab it in the back. Makes zero sense.
lol, it's not stabbing it in the back at all, it's basic e-commerce to offer alternatives "you might also be interested in..."

and maybe the person looking at the EQA isn't fully convinced that an EV is the way to go and if they see they get 'more' (defined however) with an ICE vehicle, maybe they go that way. it's also similar to the old showroom sales trick where they make every effort to not having you deciding whether you want "this" car or nothing, but between "this" car and "this other" car. at that point, you're more likely to have a sale.

Originally Posted by pbm317
Seems like a slow news day. Basic website algorithm either based on price/size of vehicle. They're not trying to actively thwart EV intenders to the ICE vehicles and throw the EQA under the bus.
exactly.

lame clickbait article based off a tweet.
Old 02-09-21, 08:39 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,707 Likes on 2,292 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
I think most ppl don’t want any EV but it’s being forced down our throats. Its a niche representing 1% of overall sales.
There has never been more variety of vehicles for sale in history I don't see how anyone is being forced to buy an EV.
Old 02-09-21, 11:09 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
There has never been more variety of vehicles for sale in history I don't see how anyone is being forced to buy an EV.
Are you serious?
The Government in Europe, China and US are banning ICE cars plus they are giving HUGE incentives to consumers to buy these EV cars that are in many ways inferior to standard ICE vehicles costing thousands less.

When politics and not free market is involved- you need to just follow the money on who stands to benefit. Unfortunately its not the everyday hard working Joe and Jane.
Old 02-09-21, 11:17 AM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

Are you serious?
The Government in Europe, China and US are banning ICE cars plus they are giving HUGE incentives to consumers to buy these EV cars that are in many ways inferior to standard ICE vehicles costing thousands less.

When politics and not free market is involved- you need to just follow the money on who stands to benefit. Unfortunately its not the everyday hard working Joe and Jane.
Bans havent even started yet, just announced, so currently no one is being forced yet. Incentives are not the same as forcing. And even after incentives have ended for Tesla, they are still selling vehicles in record numbers. They make compelling products that are being sold now in a free market. As for who benefits, if it weren't for the "wealthy" individuals who benefited from the early tax credit to bolster the EV market, Tesla wouldn't exist because it wouldn't have been able to survive long enough to make the Model 3 and E. Now, John and Jane doe can benefit from the lower priced vehicles.

But anyone, I dont understand why this article exists.
Old 02-09-21, 11:22 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by RXSF
Bans havent even started yet, just announced, so currently no one is being forced yet. And even after incentives have ended for Tesla, they are still selling vehicles in record numbers. They make compelling products that are being sold now in a free market.

But anyone, I dont understand why this article exists.
In certain countries like Sweeden bans have started I believe and in other European places you are taxed heavily based on the emissions of the car you buy. Lots of govt interference.

I mentioned earlier that Tesla would have been successful no matter what - they are more than just EV.
Old 02-09-21, 11:25 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Tesla would have been successful no matter what -.
Without the credits they sell...profits are super tiny...

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 02-09-21 at 11:32 AM.
Old 02-09-21, 11:39 AM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

I’m not sure Tesla would have survived. There were multiple cases of near bankruptcy. 10 thousand in incentives I’m sure created a much larger case to buying it

Quick Reply: "Configurator shows unsolicited alternatives to the electric EQA"