Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Acura NSX News

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-15, 01:34 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
the part behind the rear window on the old nsx looks big enough to have a picnic on. i often think the old nsx was influenced a lot by the ferrari 348.

the new one has more of an R8 look/proportions.
so you admit there's more functionality you joke but flat surfaces to put stuff on is getting harder to come by these days lol... and now that you mention it, the heat from the engine underneath would even keep the food warm lolz

the new nsx looks literally almost identical to the audi and mclaren from many angles. it looks really cool no doubt but it doesn't stand out to me the same way the old one does. i'll be honest the old nsx does look dated especially with the 1991 ride height and wheel size but if you make tasteful changes it can be easily modernized. the old car just looks like it'll slice through the air better than this new one, even though i'm sure it technically doesn't.
Old 12-09-15, 04:45 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by gengar
Agreed 100%, and while I will wait for more reviewers to chime in, I called it on these forums nearly 4 whole years ago. As a fan of the original NSX, it's sad that the new NSX is shaping up just to be GT-R v2.

Sure, but then don't call it the NSX. This is the same debacle as how Honda marketed the CR-Z as a successor to the CR-X (well actually the NSX is worse, since at least with the CR-Z they changed the name slightly). The CR-Z was a car with awful handling, awful driver feedback (esp. steering feel), and anemic power-to-weight to boot. It's shameful they tried to associate it with the CR-X.

I'd have a lot less problem with the new NSX if Honda allowed it to stand on its own and create its own legacy. GT-R v2 is what many people expected the new NSX to be, but no NSX should ever be like a GT-R. As it stands, Honda is just dragging another legendary name through the mud.

I don't think the NSX is anything like a GTR version 2, the new NSX is beautiful with that mid engined exotic look and stance and has higher capabilities, the GTR is big, pretty ugly, not sexy, not beautiful, not exotic, is front engined with front engined proportions which means it will drive much different. I have not heard anyone compare the new NSX to a GTR, they mostly compared it to either a 918, R8 V10, or 911 Turbo. All cars change, not everything remains exactly the same, GTR used to be inline 6 now V6, Ferrari mid engined V8 cars used NA V8's and gated manuals, now they are using Turbo's with DSG's, M3 had 4 cyl, then 6cyl, then 8 cyl, now turbo 6, top Porsche went form RWD NA V10 manual to V8 hybrid AWD DSG, etc. If they used a V10 in the NSX would people complain about that? There are rumors they are working on a version of the NSX or a slightly different model that is RWD only without the hybrid motors that will be much lighter, maybe that will be a closer to the original but it won't perform as well as the hybrid and will have some turbo lag.

I see the new NSX as a very worthy replacement even if some reviewers(who likely own VW's and Mazda's) would only be satisfied with something that drove, sounded, and felt just like a GT3 or 458 so they can be in auto nirvana the few hours they had with a car they could never afford to buy and own.
Old 12-09-15, 04:51 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
Aluminum doesn't make a car complicated. This NSX honestly looks like something you'd get if you got the Accord team together and said okay, make a supercar any way you like. Competent, lots of gadgets and no soul.
You seem to forget the auto reviewers complained the original NSX did not have enough soul and was not as pure, unleashed, and visceral as the competition. We are hearing pretty much the same exact thing from reviewers now as when the first NSX originated though it was a much bigger deal back then for the Japanese to be playing in the exotic supercar market, beating Ferrari, and all aluminum, vtec, titanium connecting rods was pretty much unheard of in a production car.

Driving a old NSX now compared to most modern cars it does feel very raw with a lot of soul but back when the NSX debuted it was actually very refined, competent, and not as raw as the competition which some complained about.
Old 12-09-15, 05:17 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,696 Likes on 2,282 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
You seem to forget the auto reviewers complained the original NSX did not have enough soul and was not as pure, unleashed, and visceral as the competition.
You have selective memory the car was widely praised here's one example I remember many others. The original NSX doesn't have a legendary status because of pure nostalgia it was and is still a great car. This is coming from somehow who doesn't like most any Acura product past and now.
Old 12-10-15, 12:04 AM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

I have not heard anyone compare the new NSX to a GTR...
The reviewer in the Ignition video used many of the same catchphrases that some reviewers did when they panned certain characteristics of the GT-R. Disconnected steering and brakes, driving like a videogame, artificially induced understeer, etc. That's probably why it was brought up. We'll see if further reviewers do the same.

You seem to forget the auto reviewers complained the original NSX did not have enough soul...
When people complained about the original NSX's "soul", what they often meant was that the NSX lacked the typical supercar/performance car shortcomings of the 80s, like poor reliability, questionable quality (esp. interior), and bad ergonomics - things people were used to as a given in exotics and became accustomed to as part of the 'supercar character' - perhaps not too dissimilar to the machismo often associated by certain enthusiasts with manual gearboxes and other such features. Just read this review from August 1990 in which R&T called the NSX prototype (in comparison with a 963 C2) "lacking in character of this sort", but they weren't talking about lack of an engaging drive - what they were referring to was the 'anachronistic' interior ergonomics as well as uncomfortable engine sounds of the Porsche: http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/Media/magazines/rt90.htm

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
You have selective memory the car was widely praised here's one example I remember many others.
That article also mentions the "soul" issue as being emotional attachment to faults of contemporary exotics. I love the line therein about how what people mean by "exotic-car intensity" is actually "recidivist behavior that requires the driver's full attention just to complete ordinary moves". Apparently there was a time when the writing in US auto mags wasn't garbage!

As far as the "others" that you mentioned, here's just a small sampling:

Sports Car International (Dec '90), "outstanding engineering", "unprecedented balance", "driving refinement", "plenty of character":
http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/Media/ma...990-12-sci.htm

Autoweek (June '90), praising the engine, engineering, and especially the handling:
http://autoweek.com/article/classic-...o-excuses-1990

Performance Car Magazine (Dec '91) picked the NSX as their Car of the Year (IIRC it won again in 1994), deriding the "supposed" lack of character:
http://www.s2-audi.co.uk/articles/perf_car_dec_91.htm

And for good measure, Motor Trend (Dec '90), in discussing the NSX powerplant, suspension setup, and engineering design, called it "back-to-basics, simple elegance".
http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/Media/ma...motortrend.htm

There is so much revisionist history going on in this thread, all in the name of denigrating the original NSX and, for whatever ulterior motives people have, in defending the new one. It's just sad really, especially when there is so much extensive information out there to contradict it.

Last edited by gengar; 12-10-15 at 01:52 AM.
Old 12-10-15, 02:44 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

New NSX is much of a game changer like the original NSX was, no doubt.
Old 12-10-15, 07:49 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

There is so much revisionist history going on in this thread, all in the name of denigrating the original NSX and, for whatever ulterior motives people have, in defending the new one. It's just sad really, especially when there is so much extensive information out there to contradict it.
i guess we see what we want to see as i don't see any 'denigrating the original nsx' here - it's an awesome car. while not as big a sales hit as the ls400 game changer, i'd argue the nsx probably did more to change the quality, reliability, and approachability of exotics than anything.

but what can't be denied is the original nsx is now a 25 year old car. that classifies it as an antique. desirable to own still? sure! a good investment? probably! worth making a new nsx very similar to that one? that would be very stupid.
Old 12-10-15, 04:30 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

The reviewer in the Ignition video used many of the same catchphrases that some reviewers did when they panned certain characteristics of the GT-R. Disconnected steering and brakes, driving like a videogame, artificially induced understeer, etc. That's probably why it was brought up. We'll see if further reviewers do the same.

When people complained about the original NSX's "soul", what they often meant was that the NSX lacked the typical supercar/performance car shortcomings of the 80s, like poor reliability, questionable quality (esp. interior), and bad ergonomics - things people were used to as a given in exotics and became accustomed to as part of the 'supercar character' - perhaps not too dissimilar to the machismo often associated by certain enthusiasts with manual gearboxes and other such features. Just read this review from August 1990 in which R&T called the NSX prototype (in comparison with a 963 C2) "lacking in character of this sort", but they weren't talking about lack of an engaging drive - what they were referring to was the 'anachronistic' interior ergonomics as well as uncomfortable engine sounds of the Porsche: http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/Media/magazines/rt90.htm

That article also mentions the "soul" issue as being emotional attachment to faults of contemporary exotics. I love the line therein about how what people mean by "exotic-car intensity" is actually "recidivist behavior that requires the driver's full attention just to complete ordinary moves". Apparently there was a time when the writing in US auto mags wasn't garbage!

As far as the "others" that you mentioned, here's just a small sampling:

Sports Car International (Dec '90), "outstanding engineering", "unprecedented balance", "driving refinement", "plenty of character":
http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/Media/ma...990-12-sci.htm

Autoweek (June '90), praising the engine, engineering, and especially the handling:
http://autoweek.com/article/classic-...o-excuses-1990

Performance Car Magazine (Dec '91) picked the NSX as their Car of the Year (IIRC it won again in 1994), deriding the "supposed" lack of character:
http://www.s2-audi.co.uk/articles/perf_car_dec_91.htm

And for good measure, Motor Trend (Dec '90), in discussing the NSX powerplant, suspension setup, and engineering design, called it "back-to-basics, simple elegance".
http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/Media/ma...motortrend.htm

I am not denigrating the original NSX at all. I think to this day the original NSX is the greatest most game changing supercar to ever come from Japan and one of the best supercars ever. I love the NSX, it sent sports car makers back to the drawing board and changed the way they were made, they even admit that. I just disagree with some of the reviewers who were expecting the new NSX to be as raw and visceral as a NSX Type R or a GT3 or 458 when the base car was not the raw, visceral, white knuckle car they seem to think they remember it as. Just because a sports car is not so raw and visceral in no way means it is bad, sometimes that may mean it is extremely good.

I also totally agree with you that a lot of "charm", excitement, soul reviewers and buyers loved or grew to love about exotics/supercars back before the NSX was mostly from poor build quality, poor reliability, lack of good sound deadening, overheating, leaking oil, compromises, uncomfortable seating, heavy clutches, feeling like they were going to kill you even when not at the limit etc where the NSX had none of that and it took some adjusting to expect a exotic to be as reliable as a Accord and easy to drive as one too if you wished. I still do remember reading reviews that the original NSX was missing a certain something that got the blood pumping and made driving some other supercars a more memorable visceral alive experience like engine note, V8/higher hp, some even criticized its styling as a little too staid or conservative which I could never understand. The NSX sold relatively well but it did not dominate the market or put Ferrari/Porsche/Lamborghini out of business, many buyers still like the experience those cars gave over a much better build, much more reliable car that is not going to overheat, leak fluids, leave them stranded, etc. The original NSX as great as it was won many reviews but also lost some especially as it aged. Again I am not attacking the original, I always defend that car but it was no Ferrari F40 or 288GTO like many seem to think it was and are expecting the new one to be as visceral as a GT3.

I have not seen much less driven the new NSX yet but from what I have read(glossing over the complaints the engine note is not very inspiring, not a 458, etc) and looking at the specs it is a amazing car, just like the original and buyers are going to love, I bet many buyers may like it even more then a 458 or GT3 which can get old driving every day or very often especially for older buyers who are the ones who can afford these types of cars.

The NSX is not yet completely finalized either, rumors are they are making some software changes and possibly tuning the suspensions after test drives from the input they got which is why it is delayed a few more months so I would not make final judgement yet until they review the exact car customers are getting and they are doing some head to head tests..
Old 12-10-15, 04:40 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

At this point is the NSX a 2016 or 2017 model?
Old 12-13-15, 08:56 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That MT Senior Editor has managed to disqualify himself in less than 15 minutes. He bragged about how original NSX was pretty much a reliable supercar for every day and how he wished new NSX is more like the old NSX but then his conclusion or question is who wants to drive supercar everyday? I guess no one has told him his video doesn't make any sense.

Reviewers are quick to dismiss the default tire choice really quick but it actually makes a lot more sense than Pilot SS which is not ideal even for Florida.
Old 12-13-15, 09:30 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

first pic of a black one i've seen....

Old 12-14-15, 04:20 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
first pic of a black one i've seen....

dayammmmmmmmmmm!!!!!
Old 12-21-15, 05:55 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 61 Likes on 45 Posts

Not sure if this was posted - Really CRAZY Pricing...

Acura's press release follows:

Acura Shares Details of Next-Generation Acura NSX Sales Plan

2017 Acura NSX U.S. MSRP set at $156,000
First 2017 NSX to be auctioned for charity at Barrett-Jackson in January
Online configurator and customer order taking to begin Feb. 25
Acura today announced additional launch details for the next-generation 2017 Acura NSX supercar, coming to market next spring, including pricing and the order taking process. Acura also revealed plans to auction off the very first serial production NSX, VIN 001, at the Barrett-Jackson collector car auction in Scottsdale, Ariz. the last week of January 2016. All proceeds from the auction sale will go to a pair of children's charities: the Pediatric Brain Tumor Foundation and Camp Southern Ground, the passion project of Grammy Award-winning artist Zac Brown.

Designed, developed and manufactured in America, the 2017 Acura NSX will have a Manufacturer’s Suggested Retail Price (MSRP)1 of $156,000 in the U.S. and will top out at $205,700 when equipped with all available factory features and options1. As Acura’s first build-to-order vehicle, customers will be able to design their NSX by selecting one of eight rich exterior colors and four interior color schemes available in three different seating surface options. Customers can further customize their NSX through several exterior and interior features including three wheel designs with painted or polished finish, carbon-ceramic brake options, a carbon fiber interior sport package, carbon fiber roof, and more.
Old 12-21-15, 07:01 PM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 121 Likes on 94 Posts

RNM,

Why are you surprised

The base number that had been tossed around was that the car would be at least $150K

We will see how the option pricing goes to get another $50K.

I would have to believe Carbo-ceramic brakes will be $8-10, the CF roof, $5, Upcharge paint $5-10,
All the other CF add ons (interior, exterior and engine cover) $7-10, 20 inch wheels $2-3, Semi-analine leather $3-4, Electronics upgrade $3K, Alcantara headliner $1 and at that point we could be close to their numbers.
Old 12-21-15, 08:26 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 61 Likes on 45 Posts

I thought $150-165 fully loaded.....

Quick Reply: Acura NSX News