Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Acura NSX News

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-15, 06:58 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
most ridiculous comment ever?

times change. it's not 1996.

the start of that video review has a lot of complaining but then he talks about 0 turbo lag, 0-60 in 3 seconds, and killer handling... so this is a VERY different (and infinitely more capable) nsx.

i thought the reviewer being in a wheelchair was in exceptionally poor taste.
Sure, technically it sounds awesome on paper...but where are the intangibles? The engine sounds like a hairdryer and unless you put it in Track mode, it drives like an Accord per the review. It's a real life video game that lacks emotional appeal. It just lacks soul and character honestly. Already bored of looking and watching it after that one video.
Old 12-08-15, 07:27 AM
s4play
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

As a guy who was anxiously waiting for the car and ready to buy one, I'm very disappointed in the car. We own the first gen and was excited to get a matching one in same color for the 2nd gen but after seeing this car multiple times and hearing it on the race track during NSXPO, it's just not that exciting. For anyone who is about to lay down this much cash, it had better be an exciting purchase!

I'll be passing on this car for now, maybe Acura will do better with the Type R version in the future but going to shop it's competitors (McLaren and F-cars for now). The new NSX's stiffest competition in my opinion is against the new McLaren 570s. After seeing the McLaren in person and sitting in it, I can tell you for roughly the same price range, $180-200k, the NSX stands no chance whatsoever sadly
Old 12-08-15, 09:07 AM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

most ridiculous comment ever?

times change. it's not 1996.
You call my comment ridiculous but then give the same bad argument that I was responding to. If times change and it's not 1996, then why call it the NSX? Why market it as the new NSX? It's the CR-Z vs CR-X all over again.

i thought the reviewer being in a wheelchair was in exceptionally poor taste.
Did you watch the video? It explains why he's using a wheelchair. I actually thought that part of the video was the most favorable to the NSX as it explains elegantly why Honda's torque vectoring is so good.

Originally Posted by s4play
The new NSX's stiffest competition in my opinion is against the new McLaren 570s.
The saddest part about it is that the 570S may actually be a more engaging drive, despite how much reviewers have panned that characteristic of the 570S.

Last edited by gengar; 12-08-15 at 09:10 AM.
Old 12-08-15, 10:10 AM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by gengar
You call my comment ridiculous but then give the same bad argument that I was responding to. If times change and it's not 1996, then why call it the NSX? Why market it as the new NSX? It's the CR-Z vs CR-X all over again.
everyone's so concerned about numbers and lap times because they're such big marketing points that everyone's tending to build their cars this way. nobody seems to care about serviceability anymore either, cars used to be incredibly straightforward to work on, i can't even imagine trying to work on this new 'NSX'.

i agree that's it's important to push the technological envelope because that's what drives innovation, but surely a company as big as honda has the resources and people willing to also work on developing a driver-oriented enthusiasts car that is very light with a high revving N/A engine and a 6 speed manual. no electronic torque vectoring just a properly set up chassis and a mechanical LSD, and priced around the $75,000 range, not $150,000 or whatever it'll be. there really isn't something like that at the moment and i'm sure there will people happy that such a thing exists. even brand it as a honda, not an acura. the whiff of luxury associated with an acura badge is something some people might be happy to do without i feel. i would at least.
Old 12-08-15, 11:24 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

i don't think it's a bad argument - why call it an nsx? why call an S-class and S-class when a new one has NO resemblance in any way to one from the 90's. times change.

Did you watch the video? It explains why he's using a wheelchair. I actually thought that part of the video was the most favorable to the NSX as it explains elegantly why Honda's torque vectoring is so good.
i did watch the video and again, i found the analogy to be in very poor taste. i have friends in wheel chairs.

Originally Posted by Stroock639
... surely a company as big as honda has the resources and people willing to also work on developing a driver-oriented enthusiasts car that is very light with a high revving N/A engine and a 6 speed manual.
that's called an mx-5 miata (or fr-s/brz). not the same kind of car.

no electronic torque vectoring just a properly set up chassis and a mechanical LSD, and priced around the $75,000 range, not $150,000 or whatever it'll be. there really isn't something like that at the moment and i'm sure there will people happy that such a thing exists.
sure there is, it's called a boxster or caymen.
Old 12-08-15, 11:41 AM
Jason2801
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

everyone's so concerned about numbers and lap times because they're such big marketing points that everyone's tending to build their cars this way. nobody seems to care about serviceability anymore either, cars used to be incredibly straightforward to work on, i can't even imagine trying to work on this new 'NSX'.

i agree that's it's important to push the technological envelope because that's what drives innovation, but surely a company as big as honda has the resources and people willing to also work on developing a driver-oriented enthusiasts car that is very light with a high revving N/A engine and a 6 speed manual. no electronic torque vectoring just a properly set up chassis and a mechanical LSD, and priced around the $75,000 range, not $150,000 or whatever it'll be. there really isn't something like that at the moment and i'm sure there will people happy that such a thing exists. even brand it as a honda, not an acura. the whiff of luxury associated with an acura badge is something some people might be happy to do without i feel. i would at least.
This

Just watched the review. It seems Honda tried a little to hard and lost some focus on what the original NSX brought to the table. Maybe a new name plate would have suited this car better and the review wouldn't have been as critical. Maybe trying so hard to make it a super car while at the same time making it a daily driver required sacrificing too much of what would make the car feel enjoyable for what it is suppose to be. Then again, this is only 1 of many reviews to come. Still open minded about it but not as excited about the car as I was before watching this.

If Toyota is coming out with the next Supra (successor), I hope they pay attention and really determine whether the car deserves the Supra badge or if it's better off with a new name.
Old 12-08-15, 11:44 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Danm that car looks hot in that blue color....schwing!!!!!!

i did watch the video and again, i found the analogy to be in very poor taste. i have friends in wheel chairs.
yep, no reason to use the wheelchair for the analogy...
Old 12-08-15, 11:51 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

check this video....no moron talking over it..... just all NSX beauty.....

Old 12-08-15, 12:21 PM
gengar

i don't think it's a bad argument - why call it an nsx? why call an S-class and S-class when a new one has NO resemblance in any way to one from the 90's. times change.
Terrible argument. The S-Class occupies the same slot and purpose it always has - flagship big barge luxury with leading amenities and tech. If the next S-Class shed 1000lbs, had no tech or luxury inside, and drove like a Lotus, you don't think S-Class owners would complain about it being called an S-Class? I'm sure some people would like the "new S-Class", but c'mon, really?

*shrug* I don't look at wheelchairs and other assistance devices as negatives; I look at a wheelchair as a positive device that allows some mobility to those who don't have it or have trouble achieving it. I find it an interesting device due to its simplicity and frankly I find it amazing that such devices were regularly in use as far back as the 1800s. Comparing to such a simple yet incredibly functional and important device was something I thought was a big praise of Honda's tech. It's too bad someone gets offended by everything these days.
Old 12-08-15, 02:01 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

that's called an mx-5 miata (or fr-s/brz). not the same kind of car.

sure there is, it's called a boxster or caymen.
miata or brz is wayyy too slow and boxster and caymen are ugly and don't look totally unlike a beetle. also none of those have... VTEC!!!!!!!!
Old 12-08-15, 02:11 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

It's too bad someone gets offended by everything these days.
yeah nothing much you can do lol... far too many social justice warriors out there these days, it's impeding on free speech haha. some people are just natural protesters always looking for something to get upset about and HAVE THEIR VOICE HEARD!! idk maybe it makes them feel like they're on some kind of moral high horse when there's a chance to criticize another for being offensive. almost like something they've done isn't so bad anymore because look how offensive that other person was! i've really lost my patience for this stuff being here at UMass now lol, makes me miss good ol NY where you're still able to jokingly be a **** to someone and they understand it's all in jest without going

sarcasm is a language just like any other haha
Old 12-08-15, 02:21 PM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

miata or brz is wayyy too slow and boxster and caymen are ugly and don't look totally unlike a beetle. also none of those have... VTEC!!!!!!!!
VTEC used to mean something now its just marketing and its outdated. It was Honda's "turbo" back in the days, high horsepower without using a turbo, but no torque. This car just doesnt sound mean or anything special.
Old 12-08-15, 02:27 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

*shrug* I don't look at wheelchairs and other assistance devices as negatives; I look at a wheelchair as a positive device that allows some mobility to those who don't have it or have trouble achieving it. I find it an interesting device due to its simplicity and frankly I find it amazing that such devices were regularly in use as far back as the 1800s. Comparing to such a simple yet incredibly functional and important device was something I thought was a big praise of Honda's tech. It's too bad someone gets offended by everything these days.
I'm not offended, I just think it was STUPID to use a guy in a wheelchair to explain torque vectoring in a car .....

Last edited by bagwell; 12-08-15 at 03:35 PM.
Old 12-08-15, 02:59 PM
gengar

Originally Posted by bagwell
I'm not offended, I just think it was STUPID to use a (non-handicapped) guy in a wheelchair to explain torque vectoring in a car .....
So if they used a handicapped person to explain it, that'd be acceptable? To me, that seems more denigrating to those with mobility impairments.
Old 12-08-15, 03:34 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

So if they used a handicapped person to explain it, that'd be acceptable? To me, that seems more denigrating to those with mobility impairments.
nope....edited my post

Quick Reply: Acura NSX News