Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Acura NSX News

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-15, 02:59 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by S2000toIS350
The guy at the dealership has been pretty straight with me.
doesn't mean he knows what he's talking about.
Old 11-07-15, 03:14 PM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

"Acura expects to sell about 800 a year once production at its Performance Manufacturing Center in Marysville, Ohio, is running at full tilt."
So the new NSX is going to be made in Marysville, OH?
Old 11-07-15, 05:02 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by 1QWKGS4
So the new NSX is going to be made in Marysville, OH?
Final production will be there, though the drivetrain will come from Honda's nearby engine plant at North Anna, OH.
Old 11-07-15, 05:06 PM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Final production will be there, though the drivetrain will come from Honda's nearby engine plant at North Anna, OH.
Final Assembly there; meaning parts coming from their sources from all over and final production/assembly in Marysville, correct? (Isn't Marysville where the Accord in built?)
Old 11-07-15, 05:10 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1QWKGS4
Final Assembly there; meaning parts coming from their sources from all over and final production/assembly in Marysville, correct? (Isn't Marysville where the Accord in built?)
Marysville is a huge facility that contains a whole research and development center for Honda. They do many functions....yes, among them, produce the Accord and Acura ILX, TLX, and (now) the NSX.
Old 11-07-15, 07:30 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I not sure if the engine and transmission were just developed in Japan or possibly also made in Japan and shipped to the US.
Old 11-07-15, 07:37 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by UDel
I not sure if the engine and transmission were just developed in Japan or possibly also made in Japan and shipped to the US.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_...0.93present.29

Production of the second generation NSX commenced in 2015 at the Honda Performance Manufacturing Center in Marysville, Ohio, which is housed inside Honda's former North American Logistics facility and located in the midst of Honda's existing R&D and production engineering operations. The powertrain is separately assembled by Honda associates at its engine plant in Anna, Ohio.
Old 11-07-15, 08:14 PM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Still seem crazy low volume to me.
Disappointingly low volume really. Plus it makes the decision to make a whole year's worth of models as factory spec even more ridiculous.
Old 11-07-15, 08:50 PM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 121 Likes on 94 Posts

Gengar, I think my guy smashed a bunch of separate facts into one sentence.

The launch cars may be a shorter run. I am now thinking 6 months as that lines up with a point made by one of the online reviews that after the first 6 months, customers will be able to order cars with the steel brake rotors (all the initial cars will have the carboceramics units)
Old 12-07-15, 05:30 PM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Acura NSX is certainly not a slow car – with 573 hp, it’s anything but. However, we’ve been waiting for this car for almost a decade. It’s finally here, with a bespoke, 500-hp twin-turbo V-6 and three electric motors that provide real torque-vectoring – and step in to mask turbo lag. The NSX has all the ingredients for the tastiest supercar, but does it all work as well as the original NSX did? Will it make Ferrari step back and say “whoa” once again? Does Honda’s decision to stuff the NSX full of so much technology actually make for a better-driving supercar? Motor Trend Senior Features Editor Jason Cammisa heads to Sonoma Raceway to find out on this episode of Ignition presented by Tire Rack.
Old 12-07-15, 05:49 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 175 Posts

yeah i'm definitely disappointed to see the NSX taking such a huge departure from what it once was. the gauges and instrument cluster all look very cool though, certainly what you'd want to see in something that looks like that. the car itself is very good i'm sure but i have a problem with calling that an NSX when it's totally not rooted in the pure, simplistic experience that the original NSX stood for. moving with the times and everything i know... but as he said in the video leave the overcomplicating to the germans. it also needs to have the long back of the old NSX lol, so perfectly proportioned that thing is...
Old 12-07-15, 06:16 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

We live in 2015, and people want car makers to create something from the 90s. I understand that there is some allure to a pure driving experience, but honestly, new tech and drivetrain innovation is what pushes us forward. I think this new NSX looks good personally, and the old NSX proportions always seem weird to me with its long rear deck
Old 12-07-15, 06:50 PM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 121 Likes on 94 Posts

Chevy does the Camaro and Ford the Mustang and Fiat the Challenger, all 60s retro stuff, though Ford has done the best job of bringing the car into modern times.

I thing the core issue is that we love Honda for fun to drive affordable cars. Oops, they don't have any of these left.

Many folks want the NSX to be an accessible car. Instead Honda provided a car with accessible performance.

Other than a few grumpy cat quips, I thought the guy did a nice job with his piece.
Old 12-08-15, 01:16 AM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Stroock639
yeah i'm definitely disappointed to see the NSX taking such a huge departure from what it once was... i have a problem with calling that an NSX when it's totally not rooted in the pure, simplistic experience that the original NSX stood for.
Agreed 100%, and while I will wait for more reviewers to chime in, I called it on these forums nearly 4 whole years ago. As a fan of the original NSX, it's sad that the new NSX is shaping up just to be GT-R v2.

Originally Posted by RXSF
We live in 2015, and people want car makers to create something from the 90s. I understand that there is some allure to a pure driving experience, but honestly, new tech and drivetrain innovation is what pushes us forward.
Sure, but then don't call it the NSX. This is the same debacle as how Honda marketed the CR-Z as a successor to the CR-X (well actually the NSX is worse, since at least with the CR-Z they changed the name slightly). The CR-Z was a car with awful handling, awful driver feedback (esp. steering feel), and anemic power-to-weight to boot. It's shameful they tried to associate it with the CR-X.

I'd have a lot less problem with the new NSX if Honda allowed it to stand on its own and create its own legacy. GT-R v2 is what many people expected the new NSX to be, but no NSX should ever be like a GT-R. As it stands, Honda is just dragging another legendary name through the mud.
Old 12-08-15, 05:44 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by gengar
As it stands, Honda is just dragging another legendary name through the mud.
most ridiculous comment ever?

times change. it's not 1996.

the start of that video review has a lot of complaining but then he talks about 0 turbo lag, 0-60 in 3 seconds, and killer handling... so this is a VERY different (and infinitely more capable) nsx.

i thought the reviewer being in a wheelchair was in exceptionally poor taste.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 12-08-15 at 05:51 AM.

Quick Reply: Acura NSX News