Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Acura NSX News

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-15, 04:45 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Let me begin by saying I don't hate this new NSX, just want to point out some facts:

Originally Posted by UDel
It has been confirmed it will ride on its own platform, one of the most advanced platforms to be released on a exotic
Own platform yes, but far from the most advanced on an exotic. Now a days the $70k Alfa 4C have a carbon monocoque chassis. This new $150k NSX's chassis is even less exotic then the original NSX. The original NSX have an all aluminum chassis, this new NSX's chassis is a mix of aluminum and high strength steel, a lower cost approach.

and it will have its own unique engine/transmission not shared with any Honda's or Acura's.
Uniquely tuned yes, but the hardwares and layout is totally shared with the RLX Sport Hybrid SH-AWD. Same 3.5L V6, just with strengthen block, more aggressive cams, add twin turbos. Same basic 7-speeds dual clutch tranny, maybe with stronger gears and much more aggressively tuned. Maybe more powerful electric motors.
Old 04-27-15, 05:26 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

The new NSX uses a mixture of aluminum, HHS, and carbon fiber. It's definitely more exotic than the original NSX frame, especially with the ablation casting method. The engine is a completely different animal. The only thing it shares with the Accord V6 is engine displacement and number of cylinders. 75 degree vs 60 degrees. dry-sump vs wet-sump. DOHC vs SOHC. The hybrid system is quite different too. I only wished Honda used something other than 3.5L
Old 04-27-15, 05:49 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GSteg
The new NSX uses a mixture of aluminum, HHS, and carbon fiber. It's definitely more exotic than the original NSX frame, especially with the ablation casting method. The engine is a completely different animal. The only thing it shares with the Accord V6 is engine displacement and number of cylinders. 75 degree vs 60 degrees. dry-sump vs wet-sump. DOHC vs SOHC. The hybrid system is quite different too. I only wished Honda used something other than 3.5L
Wow you really paid attention to it, it all sounds the same to me.......3.5L direct injected V6, 3 electric motors, 7 speeds dual clutch..........if it sounds the same, look the same and came from the same place, it is the same stuff, just different level of tune

Just like the Mclaren 540C/570S, 12C/625C/650S/675LT, P1/P1 GTR............all got the same chassis, engine and tranny, just different level of tune.

But companies all want us to believe they are all different and exclusive.

Last edited by BNR34; 04-27-15 at 05:57 PM.
Old 04-27-15, 06:16 PM
GSteg
Rookie

The cars you listed are good examples of same chassis/engine with a different tune. The latter models are higher performance models of the former. However, an NSX is not a performance version of the RLX. The chassis is unique and so is the engine. 3.5L DI V6, 3 Electric motors, and 7spd DCT are broad descriptions. Dig down further and you can tell they are not like each other at all. In the mid 90s, the NSX was available with a 3.2L FI V6 and a 6spd manual transmission. An Acura Legend V6 shared the same displacement and number of gears, but I guarantee you they are not remotely similar (only interchangeable part is the oil filter). You can't tell me they're the same stuff, with just a different level of tune...
Old 04-27-15, 06:29 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

The cars you listed are good examples of same chassis/engine with a different tune. The latter models are higher performance models of the former. However, an NSX is not a performance version of the RLX. The chassis is unique and so is the engine. 3.5L DI V6, 3 Electric motors, and 7spd DCT are broad descriptions. Dig down further and you can tell they are not like each other at all. In the mid 90s, the NSX was available with a 3.2L FI V6 and a 6spd manual transmission. An Acura Legend V6 shared the same displacement and number of gears, but I guarantee you they are not remotely similar (only interchangeable part is the oil filter). You can't tell me they're the same stuff, with just a different level of tune...
haha you changed it, I was gonna say I drove a NSX with the 4-speeds because I want a NSX but don't want to shift anymore, that tranny feels identical to an Accord to me, slow, crappy and rough.

When I say "same", I meant REALLY similar. Of course they aren't identical, but sure is very closely related.

All highend hardwares are based on the mainstream product's design, even as exclusive as the Bentley W12 engine, it is just a VW VR6 engine doubled up. The M5's V10 is just the M3's V8 with 2 extra cylinders
Old 04-27-15, 09:12 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by BNR34
Let me begin by saying I don't hate this new NSX, just want to point out some facts:

Own platform yes, but far from the most advanced on an exotic. Now a days the $70k Alfa 4C have a carbon monocoque chassis. This new $150k NSX's chassis is even less exotic then the original NSX. The original NSX have an all aluminum chassis, this new NSX's chassis is a mix of aluminum and high strength steel, a lower cost approach.

Uniquely tuned yes, but the hardwares and layout is totally shared with the RLX Sport Hybrid SH-AWD. Same 3.5L V6, just with strengthen block, more aggressive cams, add twin turbos. Same basic 7-speeds dual clutch tranny, maybe with stronger gears and much more aggressively tuned. Maybe more powerful electric motors.

The new NSX is using new highly advanced multi material(aluminum, carbon fiber, steel, etc) ablation casting technology for the platform, it is far more advanced then the original all aluminum platform. They considered materials like all aluminum, all carbon fiber, and went with the the multi material spaceframe because it provided the most benefits with weight and rigidity and packaging.
http://jalopnik.com/heres-how-the-20...rks-1699719661

The hardware is not the same or totally shared with the RLX, it is unique to the NSX, the packaging is totally different because it is a totally different platform/engine layout. It is not the same 60 deg SOHC 3.5L J series V6 in the RLX. The NSX is using a totally unique 75deg DOHC V6 dry sump block/design that will be twin turbo charged, the NSX is using a new unique 9 speed DSG, not the 7 speed in the RLX hybrid. They already tried a version of the SOHC J series for the NSX and came to the conclusion it would not fit their needs and they needed a brand new engine design.
Old 04-28-15, 07:20 AM
Stormwind
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The new NSX is using new highly advanced multi material(aluminum, carbon fiber, steel, etc) ablation casting technology for the platform
http://jalopnik.com/heres-how-the-20...rks-1699719661

The NSX is using a totally unique 75deg DOHC V6 dry sump block/design that will be twin turbo charged, the NSX is using a new unique 9 speed DSG, not the 7 speed in the RLX hybrid. .
Where are you getting this info from? jalopnik? they pretty much just printed hondas marketing brochure word for word, hardly a reliable source. (notice everything in that article is cgi and not a single pic is real)

Only thing I've seen that is real is this. Yes that's a civic engine in there they simply back it up and reverse it in.
Well it does have a lot of mdf paneling, fiber glass and aluminum...I guess that count as exotic material.
Attached Thumbnails Acura NSX News-untitled-1.jpg  
Old 04-28-15, 07:56 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Own platform yes, but far from the most advanced on an exotic. Now a days the $70k Alfa 4C have a carbon monocoque chassis.
if you think the Alfa 4C is as advanced as the new NSX then you need to open your eyes. the 4C is more like an updated Lotus Elise.

This new $150k NSX's chassis is even less exotic then the original NSX. The original NSX have an all aluminum chassis, this new NSX's chassis is a mix of aluminum and high strength steel, a lower cost approach.
so much fail, not worth analyzing.

Uniquely tuned yes, but the hardwares and layout is totally shared with the RLX Sport Hybrid SH-AWD.
yeah the rlx is mid-engined, right?

Same 3.5L V6, just with strengthen block, more aggressive cams, add twin turbos. Same basic 7-speeds dual clutch tranny, maybe with stronger gears and much more aggressively tuned. Maybe more powerful electric motors.
yeah i'm sure they just lifted it out of the rlx and dropped it in the nsx, ba da bing, ba da boom.
Old 04-28-15, 08:46 AM
GSteg
Rookie

haha you changed it, I was gonna say I drove a NSX with the 4-speeds because I want a NSX but don't want to shift anymore, that tranny feels identical to an Accord to me, slow, crappy and rough.
I had to change it. Acura vs Acura rather than Acura vs Honda.

When I say "same", I meant REALLY similar. Of course they aren't identical, but sure is very closely related.

All highend hardwares are based on the mainstream product's design, even as exclusive as the Bentley W12 engine, it is just a VW VR6 engine doubled up. The M5's V10 is just the M3's V8 with 2 extra cylinders
The engines you listed are related but the NSX and RLX are not. I guarantee you the NSX engine is not just an RLX engine with turbos slapped onto it. The only thing they share is the displacement and number of cylinders.

Last edited by GSteg; 04-28-15 at 08:54 AM.
Old 04-28-15, 08:49 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Originally Posted by Stormwind
Only thing I've seen that is real is this. Yes that's a civic engine in there they simply back it up and reverse it in.
Well it does have a lot of mdf paneling, fiber glass and aluminum...I guess that count as exotic material.

Is this suppose to be sarcasm? That car you posted is a one-off car for The Avenger. It's a 1st generation NSX (hence the engine) with a new body.
Old 04-28-15, 11:26 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Is this suppose to be sarcasm? That car you posted is a one-off car for The Avenger. It's a 1st generation NSX (hence the engine) with a new body.
according to stormwind and bnr34 the new nsx is a civic driven backwards, or an accord v6 or an rlx with a makeover.
Old 04-28-15, 01:23 PM
Stormwind
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
according to stormwind and bnr34 the new nsx is a civic driven backwards, or an accord v6 or an rlx with a makeover.
hey....at least I've shown something real...can you provide any facts that says other wise? you know none unicorn fictions something concrete besides drawings, cgi, or marketing bs from hondas own ***.

well...can ya?
Old 04-28-15, 03:52 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Stormwind
hey....at least I've shown something real...can you provide any facts that says other wise? you know none unicorn fictions something concrete besides drawings, cgi, or marketing bs from hondas own ***.

well...can ya?
You haven't shown anything, just made a bunch of bizarre statements you completely made up that don't contribute anything constructive to the conversation much like a certain poster used to do all the time who thankfully does not post on CL anymore. You think posting a picture of just a NSX concept from a movie over 3 years ago is clever or proving anything?

We are providing real information, real facts, real statements from Honda and real pictures from Honda yet you choose to ignore them and just make up things in your head like Honda is ashamed of the NSX or the NSX is just some re engineered Accord with a tuned Honda V6 when none of that is remotely true. There is video of prototypes of the new NSX being tested in several places, you can easily look them up.

If Honda is able to make a Ferrari competing sports car on a Accord platform or just with a SOHC J series V6 with turbo's slapped on it then that is a impressive feat of itself and even more impressive then the unique bespoke effort they are doing.
Old 04-28-15, 04:08 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

what we see right now is not much different from what we had on lfa before it got into press
Old 05-01-15, 09:53 AM
s4play
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

IF anyone knows a local Acura dealer who has an allocation for a NSX delivery by end of 2015 please let me know.

Location anywhere in the USA is ok as I'm willing to travel.

thanks!

Quick Reply: Acura NSX News