Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Acura NSX News

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-16, 01:34 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,097 Likes on 1,360 Posts

Originally Posted by situman
Nascars are as low tech as they get in the racing world, ...
true, but that doesn't mean there isn't a TON of details that are paid attention to (within the strict rules), and still plenty potent:

"The 358-cubic-inch (5.9-liter) V-8 is up front and has pushrods actuating two valves per cylinder. A single four-barrel Holley carburetor delivers the engine's fuel. The manual transmission has four forward speeds. There are no overhead camshafts, multivalve cylinder heads, fuel injection, paddle shifters, or sophisticated electronics. It's like racing-car development stopped in the 1960s. Still, you can't argue with a 5.9-liter engine that spins to 9500 rpm and makes close to 900 horsepower. The Toyota engineers present weren't revealing exact figures, but … the latest-spec engines make more than 875 horsepower. The car I drove was about 30 horses down, but 850 ponies in a 3500-pound car is still enough to rivet my attention"
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/auto-r...r-engines1.htm
Old 03-24-16, 01:35 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
true, but that doesn't mean there isn't a TON of details that are paid attention to (within the strict rules), and still plenty potent:

That info is out of date. NASCAR has been using sequential mulitport fuel injection for a few years now. Its the same intake, injectors, fuel pump, and computer for all teams I think.
Old 03-25-16, 02:50 AM
hknubsauce
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's not always about the tech or lap times. Nascars are as low tech as they get in the racing world, yet, it's magnitudes more entertaining to watch. Not only are the cars livelier, but the drivers have more personality than say F1 cars and drivers. I dont think anyone that's into racing will argue that Nascar is more entertaining to watch than F1 races. When driving a car becomes a video game, people will get bored of it but when you drive a car that is raw waiting to be tamed, it makes the driver feel special.
You're missing the point of my rebuttle. I wasn't advocating that advancement's in engineering make for a better driving experience, in comparison to the sports cars of yesterday. A person's driving experience is personally subjective to that individual, and whatever floats your boat, floats your boat. I'm questioning the validity of your opinion that today's modern day sports cars don't provide a quality visceral driving experience, in the same manner that sports cars from the 90's and early 00's do, especially when you have not had the opportunity to get behind the wheel of some of these new sports cars, like the NSX in question. Heck, your rationale about Nascar supports my point; I don't get how your watching of Nascar and F1 as a 3rd person, can manipulate/mold your opinion that driving a Nascar car is a better experience than driving a F1 car. Just like, I don't get how reading specs of a spec sheet and watching youtube test videos on the new NSX correlates w/ your opinions about the actual behind the wheel driving experience. That's why I stated, that your opinion of the new NSX is likely skewed by your experience w/ 90's sports cars. You make it sound like, just because the new NSX w/ all it's computers and driver aids, makes it a easy car to drive from a technical standpoint.
Old 03-25-16, 06:54 AM
Skylar978
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hknubsauce
It seems like your opinions of the new NSX are being skewed by your fanboy days of 90's and early 00's automotive lore. I don't think Honda is trying to do too much of what everyone else is doing, rather they are doing exactly what they should be doing, flexing their engineer prowess/muscle w/in the confines of today's automotive standards/regulations.

From everything I've read, this car is meant for one thing, achieving lap times. I'm sure if you were to actually get behind the wheel of one these cars and drive it like you stole it on the track you'd surely get that "emotion and feel." The argument that hybrid tech, electronic steering, and dual clutch transmissions take away from the driving experience is obscure. Especially when cars equipped w/ such tech are far exceedingly superior to their predecessors. I bet motorheads who's bread and butter revolved around the carburetor back in the day senselessly pined about the lack of emotion and feel when fuel injection was introduced.
If an Enthusiast=Fanboy, Then by all means call me a fanboy any day of the week! You do not sound like an enthusiast to me, judging by your last post. Could it be you are a tech fan boy?

Your argument that the tech makes the car faster has nothing to do with the driving feel of the car. Yes, like I stated- It will drive infinitely better, but you WILL lose the old drivers feedback. I would take a old porsche with no traction control and some sticky rubber, over a technological marvel (For fun), but if I am trying to achieve lap times from stop light to stop light, I may be interested in one of these cars in the future

All jokes aside, I love all cars. You seemed to have missed that from my previous post. I can appreciate a tech marvel just as much as an old Packard, but for my personal wants/needs- I stick to my opinions
Old 03-25-16, 06:56 AM
Skylar978
Pole Position

It's not always about the tech or lap times. Nascars are as low tech as they get in the racing world, yet, it's magnitudes more entertaining to watch. Not only are the cars livelier, but the drivers have more personality than say F1 cars and drivers. I dont think anyone that's into racing will argue that Nascar is more entertaining to watch than F1 races. When driving a car becomes a video game, people will get bored of it but when you drive a car that is raw waiting to be tamed, it makes the driver feel special.
Couldnt agree more..
Old 03-25-16, 07:02 AM
Skylar978
Pole Position

You're missing the point of my rebuttle. I wasn't advocating that advancement's in engineering make for a better driving experience, in comparison to the sports cars of yesterday. A person's driving experience is personally subjective to that individual, and whatever floats your boat, floats your boat. I'm questioning the validity of your opinion that today's modern day sports cars don't provide a quality visceral driving experience, in the same manner that sports cars from the 90's and early 00's do, especially when you have not had the opportunity to get behind the wheel of some of these new sports cars, like the NSX in question. Heck, your rationale about Nascar supports my point; I don't get how your watching of Nascar and F1 as a 3rd person, can manipulate/mold your opinion that driving a Nascar car is a better experience than driving a F1 car. Just like, I don't get how reading specs of a spec sheet and watching youtube test videos on the new NSX correlates w/ your opinions about the actual behind the wheel driving experience. That's why I stated, that your opinion of the new NSX is likely skewed by your experience w/ 90's sports cars. You make it sound like, just because the new NSX w/ all it's computers and driver aids, makes it a easy car to drive from a technical standpoint.
That is precisely it. How else are you able to achieve such times without all the new tech? There is nothing wrong with it, just food for thought.

I am all for a "faster" car, and I do appreciate the advancements made although it probably does not sound like it.
Old 03-25-16, 12:55 PM
hknubsauce
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Skylar978
If an Enthusiast=Fanboy, Then by all means call me a fanboy any day of the week! You do not sound like an enthusiast to me, judging by your last post. Could it be you are a tech fan boy?

Your argument that the tech makes the car faster has nothing to do with the driving feel of the car. Yes, like I stated- It will drive infinitely better, but you WILL lose the old drivers feedback. I would take a old porsche with no traction control and some sticky rubber, over a technological marvel (For fun), but if I am trying to achieve lap times from stop light to stop light, I may be interested in one of these cars in the future

All jokes aside, I love all cars. You seemed to have missed that from my previous post. I can appreciate a tech marvel just as much as an old Packard, but for my personal wants/needs- I stick to my opinions
Being a sports car enthusiast, which I am, doesn't equate to being a fanboy. A fanboy is someone who lets his obsessions/passions over something override normal social graces. Hence my opinion that your experiences w/ 90's and 00's sportscars, is skewing/lessening your opinion of the new NSX. My point is that your opinions about the new NSX seem as if you're writing the car off as being boring before even getting behind the wheel of one. Comparing the 20year old NSX equipped w/ archaic tech to a newly introduced NSX w/ modern tech is like comparing apples to oranges, its not pragmatic. I am totally w/ you on your desire for cars that provide drivers feedback, I daily and track a modded s2000, and to this day, it's still one of the best driver's car I've experienced, it's my apple. But having said that, I am still able to separate my love for the s2000, and enjoy the heck out of the different night and day driving feel I'd get driving a modern day tech riddled sports car, the orange. Just last night, my friend let me spiritedly drive his new ftype S. It took some getting used to, since shifting via paddle shifters felt unengaging, the steering felt numb, and it wasn't nearly as nimble compared to my s2000, but i'd be lying if it's straight line acceleration, and backfiring noises at downshifts didn't get my blood boiling...and I did quite enjoy it's refined ride feel.
Old 03-25-16, 01:37 PM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Wouldn't be surprised if that was a record....or close to it. It probably makes that NSX more expensive than a new Bugatti.
Not even close... just think about the Lamborghini Veneno and CCXR Trevita which both sold for close to US$5MM. I can think of 10 cars just off the top of my head that MSRP'd for more than 1.2 mil.

The argument that hybrid tech, electronic steering, and dual clutch transmissions take away from the driving experience is obscure. Especially when cars equipped w/ such tech are far exceedingly superior to their predecessors.
Does anyone actually think electric steering makes a car superior to its hydraulic steering predecessors?
Old 03-25-16, 04:33 PM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 121 Likes on 94 Posts

Received the green light to order and the contract today.

I sent in the 10% and the order should be placed in the system next week.
Old 03-25-16, 05:24 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by S2000toIS350

Did you order a new NSX? If so, congratulations....and best of luck with it.
Old 03-25-16, 05:29 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by gengar
Not even close... just think about the Lamborghini Veneno and CCXR Trevita which both sold for close to US$5MM. I can think of 10 cars just off the top of my head that MSRP'd for more than 1.2 mil.
Perhaps so. But new Bugattis probably sell for considerably more than the 1.3M list, simply because dealers know that their buyers are so well-heeled, and can afford it.
Old 03-26-16, 06:59 PM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 121 Likes on 94 Posts

MM

I believe the Bugatti point is it has a list prices higher than Hendrick paid for NSX #1 ($1.7million to welder $2 million).

Yes, I placed an order for an NSX, supposedly #160, thanks. Should see it in the May/June time frame.
Old 03-26-16, 07:01 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by S2000toIS350

Awesome, congrats on the NSX. Can't wait to see pics of it.
Old 03-28-16, 07:46 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

Not saying its not still high tech, but compared to all the tech of F1 cars or other open wheel cars, its considered low tech. Still pushes a lot of power no doubt, but the entire package just isnt as high tech as the other forms of racing cars.

Last edited by situman; 03-28-16 at 07:58 AM.
Old 03-28-16, 07:57 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

In reality, most of us (some of us), will never get to own or even drive one of these vehicles. However, a person can fall in love with certain vehicles by the way they look, sound or go around a track. It's like a kid having posters of a Ferrari or a Lambo on their wall. I'm sure they never own or driven or even ridden in one, yet it's their child hood dream car. These days, we have youtube instead of posters on the wall where fans of certain cars can watch as their favorite car get driven around and hear the sound it makes. So my point is, its not always about laptimes that makes a car great. It's how it makes its audience and its driver feels. I'm on the audience camp btw. Personally speaking, seeing this car go around the track doesnt make me want to watch more. Hearing the engine noise doesn't make the hair on the back of neck stand up or make me go "whoa." Just listening to cars like old lambos, ferraris, the McClaren F1 or even the LFA, you know there's a ferocious animal residing in there waiting to be unleashed. Watching these cars go about it's business, one can sense that it's lively and raw. I dont get that sensation from the NSX. Dont get me wrong, the NSX sure is a technical marvel and fast as heck, but it doesnt elicit any emotions. That's my personal opinion, nothing against you.

Quick Reply: Acura NSX News