Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Acura NSX News

Old 07-24-14, 12:34 PM
John Coyle
CL Editor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This happens all the time during development, but Honda still has to be pissed. There have been rumors the engineers have been having some trouble making the V6 and the hybrid components play nice, and this seems to confirm it.

Old 07-24-14, 12:40 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Test fires from any automaker don't get free passes.

Tesla and Ferrari, which have had very bad press regarding fires, were able to prove to the public the causes of their fires (Ferrari used flammable glue near the engine [now changed], and Tesla's fires are caused by debris puncturing the battery pack [now reinforced]).

Honda, for now, has some explaining to do...

LOL!

You don't think Porsche or Ferrari have test cars?!?

Every automaker have test cars. Most of them done in private well-surveillanced test tracks. These cars are tested for months, if not years, before they are glimpsed by the public eye.

The only difference in this situation is that Honda got caught with a bad situation in a very public place. Surely, this is going to be a Marketing nightmare for Honda...
Didn't say they don't test their car, but they are not being through like Japanese carmakers.
Old 07-24-14, 12:58 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cino
So when a Lambo or Ferrari catch fire, they get a free pass on CL, but anything made by Honda won't. Unicorn or not, this car will be the technological marvel from Japan since the last NSX.

On another note, this is a test car, it's good they run the test til they see there is something wrong before deliver it to customers and let them be guinea pigs. Porsche or Ferrari don't give a damn about people who bought their cars until it goes viral online or media.
I'm lost, I don't think anyone here is "hating" or trash talking because the NSX test mule caught on fire. We just posted up the story and discussing the topic at hand.
Old 07-24-14, 01:09 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Stormwind
hmm...I thought civic engines are pretty reliable these days.

That's actually the first gen NSX engine, which was pretty bulletproof.
Old 07-24-14, 01:10 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
This is BAD.

That one had a hybrid system malfunction that made the car unstable...which is why the RLX/TLX hybrids are late reportedly. This looks like a combustion engine issue. What a cluster****.
I have not heard of a TLX hybrid, I don't think one is coming anytime soon.
Old 07-24-14, 01:20 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by UDel
I have not heard of a TLX hybrid, I don't think one is coming anytime soon.
Some auto media sites are saying one is coming, while others are saying Honda has no plans for a hybrid TLX. I don't know, take it with a gain of salt.
Old 07-24-14, 01:20 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Tesla and Ferrari, which have had very bad press regarding fires, were able to prove to the public the causes of their fires (Ferrari used flammable glue near the engine [now changed], and Tesla's fires are caused by debris puncturing the battery pack [now reinforced]).

LOL!

Every automaker have test cars. Most of them done in private well-surveillanced test tracks. These cars are tested for months, if not years, before they are glimpsed by the public eye.

The only difference in this situation is that Honda got caught with a bad situation in a very public place. Surely, this is going to be a Marketing nightmare for Honda...
Yes, but with Ferrari, Porsche, Tesla, etc they had fires with production/customer cars. The NSX is still in the prototype testing phase, accidents/fires are somewhat expected and that is why they test them to iron these issues out before they make production so I don't see it as a big deal or like when Porsche had to recall/replace all GT3 engines or customer Ferrari's burning up. As long as they iron out these issues and they are not happening with production cars they don't have any explaining to do nor is it going to be a marketing nightmare. A LFA had plenty of issues during the testing phase including a famous test driver getting killed in a crash, Japan cars or not these things happen.

Luckily nobody was killed or seriously hurt, the fire started after the car was done testing and could have just been something very minor like a unsecured fuel line, camo tape in the engine bay, etc.
Old 07-24-14, 01:26 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Yup, I think there was a LFA test mule that broke down. The incident with Hiromu Naruse, I believe really had nothing to do with the LFA itself. It was just a honorable accident.
Old 07-24-14, 01:30 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Vh_Supra26

I'm lost, I don't think anyone here is "hating" or trash talking because the NSX test mule caught on fire. We just posted up the story and discussing the topic at hand.
I didn't say you "hate" NSX, and I know you don't hate it because you used it to compare to Supra on supra forums which show you have respect for the car. I'm just saying CL, in general, likes picking on Acura. Doesn't matter if it's a sedan, SUV or Supercar.

I'm not biased toward Acura, I love Toyota more than anything. I bought a WRX because FHI is partially bought by Toyota.
Old 07-24-14, 01:32 PM
LexFather

LOL!

Exactly. And not sure why anyone is comparing Ferrari and Lambo to this. Apples to Oranges. Things like this happen in development all the time but defenders will defend. Not sure why anyone is acting like CL is the only place that has no faith in Honda, no forum on the internet does, not even Acura ones. The burden in on Honda to prove everyone wrong.

Yup, I think there was a LFA test mule that broke down. The incident with Hiromu Naruse, I believe really had nothing to do with the LFA itself. It was just a honorable accident.
The LFA should not be mentioned, it wan't a V-6, it wash't a hybrid. It was a full blown exotic car and from what we know, non caught fire under testing.

If anyone even remotely mentions the legendary Hiromu Naruse they need their head examined at the least. That is utterly disrespectful on levels that would **** off Mr. Toyoda himself. He was not at the track when his accident happened. It was an accident off the track.

Why would anyone bring up Hiromu Naruse? Unbelievable.

This is floating around Facebook

Last edited by LexFather; 07-24-14 at 01:36 PM.

Old 07-24-14, 01:39 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexFather
If anyone even remotely mentions the legendary Hiromu Naruse they need their head examined at the least. That is utterly disrespectful on levels that would **** off Mr. Toyoda himself. He was not at the track when his accident happened. It was an accident off the track.

Why would anyone bring up Hiromu Naruse? Unbelievable.
I didn't, UDel did. I was just replying to his post.

A LFA had plenty of issues during the testing phase including a famous test driver getting killed in a crash, Japan cars or not these things happen.
Old 07-24-14, 01:48 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by cino
I didn't say you "hate" NSX, and I know you don't hate it because you used it to compare to Supra on supra forums which show you have respect for the car. I'm just saying CL, in general, likes picking on Acura. Doesn't matter if it's a sedan, SUV or Supercar.

I'm not biased toward Acura, I love Toyota more than anything. I bought a WRX because FHI is partially bought by Toyota.
Ok, I guess I'm just clearing up the air lol. But if you visit Temple of VTEC, they bash on Toyota/Lexus all the time. One reason why I stop visiting that forum. They also called FT-1 ugly

Oh yeah I posted a lot of NSX news on SupraForums. I don't really go out of my way to "hate" on any automaker. But from time to time I will poke fun at xxx. I was actually really looking forward to the new NSX

I can't wait to see a NSX II, R36 GT-R, and MKV Supra (FT-1) comparison

Last edited by Vh_Supra26; 07-24-14 at 01:55 PM.
Old 07-24-14, 01:51 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

the fire started after the car was done testing and could have just been something very minor like a unsecured fuel line, camo tape in the engine bay, etc.

LOL!!!

Old 07-24-14, 01:55 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

Ok, I guess I'm just clearing up the air lol

Oh yeah I posted a lot of NSX news on SupraForums. I don't really go out of my way to "hate" on any automaker. But from time to time I will poke fun at xxx. I was actually really looking forward to the new NSX

I can't wait to see a NSX II, R36 GT-R, and MKV Supra (FT-1) comparison
I also can't wait for the legends to be reborn. I've wanted a supra since I was in high school. Now that I'm able to afford one easily, I'm really looking forward to owning one. RC-F is nice, but I'm not old enough for a speedboat for the road. I want something raw, rough, and loud to define my youth. Lexus won't do it.
Old 07-24-14, 02:00 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

Back to NSX!!!

New Sportcar eXperiment is back, and it's burnin' HOT, literally.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Acura NSX News