Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota Prius now best-selling model(s) in California

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-12, 10:06 PM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
a lot of people that want hybrids want cars that look like a hybrid. Not cars like a camry hybrid that looks like a normal camry. Its like a status symbol.
Yeah you raise a good point. I think this is where a hybrid-only nameplate like the Prius family does well in this regard.
Old 10-20-12, 10:51 PM
account2x
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I bought one because the mileage is really good. You guys are overthinking this.
Old 10-20-12, 11:03 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Prius is probably why the LFA had virtually no R&D budget.
Old 10-20-12, 11:08 PM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

why would someone want a car that "looks" like a hybrid? those things are hideous, hence why i wont drive one and drive my GS (16-18 vs like 40+ mpg)
Old 10-21-12, 12:53 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackraven
Yeah you raise a good point. I think this is where a hybrid-only nameplate like the Prius family does well in this regard.
different markets want different things... in US and Japan, they preffer unique car to show off their hybridness, while in Europe they prefer hybrid as another powertrain option to existing car.

both proven by sales. Auris Hybrid outsells Prius in Europe, even if it is poorer car for little bit less and Prius outsells Camry Hybrid, despite similar price and bigger car.
Old 10-21-12, 03:47 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
different markets want different things... in US and Japan, they preffer unique car to show off their hybridness, while in Europe they prefer hybrid as another powertrain option to existing car.

both proven by sales. Auris Hybrid outsells Prius in Europe, even if it is poorer car for little bit less and Prius outsells Camry Hybrid, despite similar price and bigger car.
Actually in Europe they have much better, more environmentally friendly diesel cars that get better gas mileage than hybrids. That's what most people drive over there, not hybrids.

Diesel is also the same cost as gas over there, really that's the only thing holding back diesel cars in this market, is how hideously high diesel fuel is right now.
Old 10-21-12, 05:31 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
Actually in Europe they have much better, more environmentally friendly diesel cars that get better gas mileage than hybrids. That's what most people drive over there, not hybrids.

Diesel is also the same cost as gas over there, really that's the only thing holding back diesel cars in this market, is how hideously high diesel fuel is right now.
lol, first of all, diesels are not environmentally friendler than hybrids, but they are less friendly to the environment than prius. This is why you dont see many diesels in USA, it costs too much to satisfy pollution requirements.

But what I was talking about is preference of hybrid powertrains in unique vs non-unique cars, as shown by my quote, if you actually bothered to read it.

And in most countries where diesel sells better than petrol, diesel is 10-15% cheaper than petrol, due to government subisidies.
Old 10-21-12, 10:11 AM
darkdream
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1sWt2GS
why would someone want a car that "looks" like a hybrid? those things are hideous, hence why i wont drive one and drive my GS (16-18 vs like 40+ mpg)
Well Toyota does not care if it looks terrible, it is what the studies have shown that consumers want. It is a symbol, especially in Silicon Valley. I know so many ceos who drive their Prius over their Porsches or Ferraris which remain garage queens, so much they bought another one when Prius was redesigned for more interior/cargo room.
Old 10-21-12, 01:00 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 1sWt2GS
what's with all the Prius-hate.....to each his own -- I think the 3G Prius looks like (and is) a high-tech vehicle and I don't like the back of this GS....but again....to each his own....and I averaged 60+ mpg in my 08, 10 Prius.
Old 10-21-12, 06:40 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 62 Likes on 30 Posts

I love my Prius, but do understand where all the hate is coming from. I used to hate them too!

BTW, Did anyone recently see the movie Paranormal Activity 4? Saw it last night and it has a hilarious scene in which a Prius almost hits a gal as she was about to cross the street because she didn't hear it. Her first words after the close call was "F'n Prius!" Half the theater lit up in laughter. The silence of this car is one of the things I love about it.

Last edited by caymandive; 10-21-12 at 07:18 PM.
Old 10-21-12, 07:15 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts

I almost got hit by a Prius at Wal-mart once.
Old 10-21-12, 09:06 PM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
lol, first of all, diesels are not environmentally friendler than hybrids, but they are less friendly to the environment than prius. This is why you dont see many diesels in USA, it costs too much to satisfy pollution requirements.

But what I was talking about is preference of hybrid powertrains in unique vs non-unique cars, as shown by my quote, if you actually bothered to read it.

And in most countries where diesel sells better than petrol, diesel is 10-15% cheaper than petrol, due to government subisidies.
Agree with the bolded part, its not just C02 emissions that is "bad", diesel also releases nitrous oxide that is cancer causing - a fact recognized by the WHO and probably one of the reasons why Europe is moving towards more stringent Euro 6 emissions standards. And the reason why most current Euro only diesels can't make it over to the US, due to stricter EPA emissions standards in the US which regulate nitrous oxide (not addressed by the current Euro 5).
Old 10-21-12, 10:35 PM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Makes sense to me, I know of at least 8 coworkers that own them, and countless more in our parking lot. (My company employs I think ~ 5000 people at my campus)
Old 10-21-12, 11:26 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

I'll concede that tailpipe emissions from diesel cars are not as clean as a hybrids. But man the technology has come a long way from what it was 10-15 years ago. VW manages to sell 40-50mpg diesels in this country that meet emissions requirements, and they sell every one they make for a premium over their gas counterparts. Really I think the EPA is requiring that extra 1-3% reduction in emissions that makes diesels a hard sell over here.

Getting back to my main beef with hybrids is the materials going into the batteries that power them. Ever seen a nickel strip mine? There are a lot of rare earth metals in hybrid batteries and electric motors. Guess where the rare earths come from? Strip mines in China. Those strip mines absolutely devastate the local environment, since China has NO environmental standards.

So pick your poison. Those "green" Prius cars are destroying the environment, just in a more localized fashion around the metal mines that are kept in business making their batteries.
Old 10-22-12, 12:11 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,708 Likes on 2,293 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
Getting back to my main beef with hybrids is the materials going into the batteries that power them. Ever seen a nickel strip mine?
This (very ignorant) myth simply won't die. Nickel is used in all manner of auto components, including the frame, chrome, the list is long. Stainless steel is about 10% nickel, higher in critical applications. The uses of nickel are extensive to say the least, the hybrid battery is a drop in the bucket as far as consumption goes. So if you want to take issue with the "strip mining" for nickel, you better take aim at just about every industry out there that uses metal alloys. The glass in your car is very likely tinted using nickel.

It is also worth mentioning that almost every hybrid battery is recovered and recycled, the same cannot be said for the lead based batteries in cars, many end up in landfills and are very toxic.

Look here to see the automotive applications.

Quick Reply: Toyota Prius now best-selling model(s) in California