Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Opel Cascada is Europe's Buick convertible

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-15, 05:12 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Yes larger than the Eos, but with both the VW and Chrysler gone this fills a void and gives convertible buyers what they've been missing. So you can bet it'll lure buyers
Yes, agreed. I'm not convinced that dropping the 200 convertible was a wise move on Chrysler's part.....see my last post above. It occupied a unique spot in the American market that the Cascada may end up filling....the affordable 4-seat convertible with room in the back for adults.

BTW, folks......I'm definitely going to test-drive this car if I get a chance to....and (likely) do a partial or full-review. Might even get paid for it.......Buick, like Ford/Lincoln, sometimes offers a sign-up Visa/Mastercard gift-card program at the D.C. Auto Show, which is coming up, for dealer test-drives.

Four things, though, just from what I've seen in pictures and on Buick's web site, that I don't care for are the large 20" wheels/35-series tires, black single-color interior (apparently with no options), limited choice of only six exterior colors, and the garish red-orange dash-lighting instead of the soft aqua-blue lighting on other Buicks. But, of course, production of this car is still a year away, and some or all of that could (?) change.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-11-15 at 06:11 PM.
Old 01-11-15, 07:42 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Yes, agreed. I'm not convinced that dropping the 200 convertible was a wise move on Chrysler's part.....see my last post above. It occupied a unique spot in the American market that the Cascada may end up filling....the affordable 4-seat convertible with room in the back for adults.

BTW, folks......I'm definitely going to test-drive this car if I get a chance to....and (likely) do a partial or full-review. Might even get paid for it.......Buick, like Ford/Lincoln, sometimes offers a sign-up Visa/Mastercard gift-card program at the D.C. Auto Show, which is coming up, for dealer test-drives.

Four things, though, just from what I've seen in pictures and on Buick's web site, that I don't care for are the large 20" wheels/35-series tires, black single-color interior (apparently with no options), limited choice of only six exterior colors, and the garish red-orange dash-lighting instead of the soft aqua-blue lighting on other Buicks. But, of course, production of this car is still a year away, and some or all of that could (?) change.
I don't think it was wise either especially with the 2015 sedans nice proportions, but with Chrysler er Fiat's decision is GM's gain. Even if they don't sell like hotcakes they'll own the market essentially
Old 01-12-15, 06:48 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
I don't think it was wise either especially with the 2015 sedans nice proportions, but with Chrysler er Fiat's decision is GM's gain. Even if they don't sell like hotcakes they'll own the market essentially

Though Buick hasn't announced pricing yet, a little competition from a 200 convertible might hold the Cascade's price down. I suspect that, depending on where pricing is set, when the Cascada is introduced, it will sell for list or close to it because of the lack of competition, though I don't see it selling for more than list.....it doesn't seem to be a limited-production vehicle.
Old 01-12-15, 07:57 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2016 Buick Cascada convertible isn't afraid of Detroit's snow

Click here to view photo gallery

It's the great irony of introducing a convertible in Detroit – while the assembled media might look at the car and imagine warm weather and clear skies, the atmosphere outside is anything but. Such was the case Sunday as Buick rolled out the 2016 Cascada in Detroit's Eastern Market. Snow didn't dampen the atmosphere, though, as we clapped eyes on the sleek, Astra-based convertible for the first time.

While this is far from the first product Buick has borrowed from General Motors' European operations, unlike previous vehicles, changes for the Cascada were kept to a minimum. There is no waterfall grille or four-way portholes, which Buick was sure to install when converting the Insignia and Mokka to the Regal and Encore. Then again, neither of these styling treatments were really necessary, as the Cascada remains a handsome and stylish offering.

Its cabin is typical of other Buicks, and features a few too many buttons on the center stack. Still, a thick-rimmed, flat-bottomed steering wheel, similar to what's found in the Verano, is both attractive and functional, while the perforated leather seats looks quite comfortable, as well.

Take a look at our gallery of live images, which includes shots of the Cascada with the top up and down, and then head back to our original post on the new convertible for all the mechanical details.
http://www.autoblog.com/2015/01/11/2...-detroit-2015/
Old 01-12-15, 05:41 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I don't know if that purple color is just the lighting, but if it is the real paint, I hope they actually put that color into production.
Old 01-12-15, 05:49 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

There is no waterfall grille or four-way portholes, which Buick was sure to install when converting the Insignia and Mokka to the Regal and Encore. Then again, neither of these styling treatments were really necessary, as the Cascada remains a handsome and stylish offering.
It's true that the portholes aren't necessary any more from an engine point of view (the true open holes date back to an age when cooling systems lacked efficiency, and cars often overheated when stuck in traffic or climbing long steep hills). But they are a nice tradition on Buicks, and have appealed to many owners.
Old 01-14-15, 09:39 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Default Buick Cascada Will Be Built in Poland, Sold as a Holden Too this Year

The Opel Cascada is truly becoming a global vehicle. After its debut at the Detroit Auto Show as a Buick, GM reconfirmed that the convertible will be sold with the Holden badge starting this year.

As announced in 2014, the Holden Cascada will arrive later this year in Australia and New Zealand, joined by other rebadged Opel products - the Holden Astra GTC, Holden Astra VXR and Holden Insignia VXR.

“This makes the Cascada a convertible triplet on three continents – a very nice compliment and even more proof of the appeal of our large convertible,” said Opel Group CEO Dr. Karl-Thomas Neumann.

Of course, Buick is no stranger to such practices, having adopted Opel products for a long time. The US brand currently sells the Encore (Opel Mokka), Verano (Opel Astra sedan) and Regal (Opel Insignia).

The Buick Cascada will therefore be the fourth Opel model sold in the US when it launches there in first quarter next year. And the trend will continue, with GM announcing last year that a new Buick model will be built by Opel at its main plant in Rüsselsheim later in the decade.

Developed in Germany at Opel’s International Technical Development Center in Rüsselsheim, the Cascada is built in Poland, at the Gliwice plant. As a result of the upcoming exports to the United States, Australia and New Zealand, the Polish plant will increase production, Neumann said.

In the United States, the Buick Cascada will be offered with the 1.6-liter turbocharged four-cylinder gasoline engine producing 200hp and 300Nm (221lb-ft) of torque, mated to a six-speed automatic transmission.
http://www.carscoops.com/2015/01/bui...in-poland.html
Old 01-14-15, 12:29 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Not surprising that they want to rebadge it as a Holden. GM wants to phase Holden production out of Australia, though IMO they really haven't come up with a good reason why.
Old 01-17-15, 10:38 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Not sure if I like the Buick convertible or not. Looks a bit stubby in the pictures, like there isn't enough wheelbase or something. I'll have to see one in person before I make a judgement.

Although I think this will sell extremely well. Other than the Mustang and Camaro convertibles, there isn't jack squat for choice unless you want to spend 55-70k on a BMW 3 series or a Benz.

If this has a lot more room than the Mustang or Camaro, ie real back seats and a decent trunk, it'll have a unique corner in the market

Not surprising that they want to rebadge it as a Holden. GM wants to phase Holden production out of Australia, though IMO they really haven't come up with a good reason why.
GM and Ford are stopping production in Australia because they can make cars cheaper elsewhere. The market in Australia isn't big enough for them to have factories there, or so that's the line from GM and Ford.
Old 01-17-15, 01:01 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Aron9000

If this has a lot more room than the Mustang or Camaro, ie real back seats and a decent trunk, it'll have a unique corner in the market
In that case, it will (probably) have the same corner of the market as the now-discontinued Chrysler 200 convertible.

GM and Ford are stopping production in Australia because they can make cars cheaper elsewhere. The market in Australia isn't big enough for them to have factories there, or so that's the line from GM and Ford.
Usually money talks, but this time, I'm not terribly impressed with that line from them. Both corporations are already building vehicles in countries that sometimes have higher production costs than Australia, without any intention of leaving THEM. Of course, the market in other countries may also be larger, in proportion to their costs.
Old 01-17-15, 03:23 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

In that case, it will (probably) have the same corner of the market as the now-discontinued Chrysler 200 convertible.

Usually money talks, but this time, I'm not terribly impressed with that line from them. Both corporations are already building vehicles in countries that sometimes have higher production costs than Australia, without any intention of leaving THEM. Of course, the market in other countries may also be larger, in proportion to their costs.
I also think that GM and Ford don't want to spend money to retool the line down there in Australia. Right now they're making big V6, straight six, or V8 RWD sedans and utes. With rising fuel economy standards around the world, those type of vehicles will simply not be viable in 5-10 years time.
Old 01-17-15, 03:33 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Aron9000
I also think that GM and Ford don't want to spend money to retool the line down there in Australia. Right now they're making big V6, straight six, or V8 RWD sedans and utes. With rising fuel economy standards around the world, those type of vehicles will simply not be viable in 5-10 years time.
And, of course, when the Pontiac GTO and G8 were in production, and offered for sale here in the U.S., there were few takers. Both were redone Holden RWD sedans. Now, the Chevy SS has come along to (essentially) replace the G8, and it's only being built sand sold in very limited numbers. (I was generally fortunate to find one to actually review).

Anyhow, back to Buick...the thread topic. I guess this will also (probably) discount the possibility of a Holden Buick Grand National that GM was considering....essentially an upmarket Chevy SS.
Old 01-18-15, 07:01 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Default Who Is Going To Buy The Buick Cascada?

The 2016 Buick Cascada may look familiar to Europeans, but it's something the American brand hasn't seen in a long time: a halo car (of sorts).

And what a pretty halo it is. Aside from the 20-inch wheels that I'm not particularly fond of, the transition from Opel to Buick didn't change a whole lot, and that's for the better. At a time when cars look angry for the sake of being sporty, the relaxed look of the Cascada is somewhat refreshing. It's a nice car. Does anyone still buy nice cars?

In Europe, Opel targets the Audi A5 Convertible as its prime competition, but in the U.S., it's likely Buick dealers will target people looking at an Audi A3 Convertible. By extension, they should include the similarly sized and priced BMW 228i Convertible. Both of those cars offer optional all-wheel drive, so that means the Cascada will be a non-starter for New Englanders looking for a year-round car.

Buick can't expect to charge quite as much as the A3's $35,600 starting price, even if it offers more standard horsepower and equipment – the lure of the four rings is inexplicably strong. But the A3 also has a different personality. It's more modern-looking car in a clean-cut, professional way. It's for people who look good all of the time, or at least insist on making an effort before being seen in public. That's just not every convertible buyer.

The Cascada shouldn't be quite that demanding of its owners. It's a car for people who want to lower the top and drive a convertible in a relaxed way. It doesn't matter it has "only" 200 horsepower, all it needs is to be comfortable going 37 mph.

The Cascada isn't for people who buy Mustang or Camaro convertibles, even V6 ones. Those imply sportiness. The Cascada does fall into a space the old Chrysler Sebring and 200 convertibles used to occupy, although without the same Florida rental special implications. For most of the enthusiasts reading this, the Cascada will be too slow or too laid back or too... nice.

Sorry, but when I look at this car that's the first word that keeps coming to mind. And nice is by no means bad.
http://www.carscoops.com/2015/01/who...k-cascada.html