Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Mix and Match to Create a Super Automotive Manufacturer

Old 10-07-12, 04:13 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Mix and Match to Create a Super Automotive Manufacturer

Each group you create must have 1 American, 1 Japanese and German manufacturer from the following:

Americans:
GM
Ford
Chrysler

Japanese:
Toyota
Honda
Nissan

German:
BMW
Mercedes
Volkswagen

If you can, please explain why you chose to match which automaker to which. For example you like certain makes, or they match/mirror each other etc.. If possible try to only use the makes listed above though you may reference them if you need to (as I did the LFA below) or ex. Jeep/Ram or because you need to fill in a blank that the manufacturer does not produce, but try to keep to just these 9 manufacturers .

My Choices

GM/Toyota/BMW - these are the heavyweights compared to their respective counterparts. They have quantity and capacity on their side. If these three merged, it would be a force to be reckond with. Some of the finest suspensions in the business like BMW's handling prowess coupled with GM's Magnetic Ride Control and Toyota quality would equate to finely honed vehicles in FWD, RWD, AWD and 4WD configurations.

The best of platforms, power trains, drive trains, safety and technology. Combine the best attributes of these vehicles into a segment buster:
Sedan Small - Cruze/Corolla/3-Series - Best of Everything...
Sedan Midsize - Malibu/Camry/5-Series - Best of Everything… except larger...
Sedan Fullsize - Impala/Avalon/7-Series - Imagine a 7-Series that doesn't break down 0_o
CUV Small - Equinox/Rav4/X1 - Reinventing cute utes, this ute combines handling, efficiency, roominess and reliability all into one
CUV Midsize - Traverse/Highlander/X3 - Roomy and high tech
SUV Fullsize - Tahoe/Suburban/Land Cruiser/X5 A capable behemoth that can haul a circus to soccer practice and Target, traverse wild terrain, and handle as well as a full-size SUV can. Imagine an M variant o_0
Coupe Small - 3-Series - Does it right the first time but gets some magnetic ride control
Coupe Midsize - 6-Series - Benefits the same like it's little brother
Vert Small - 3-Series - It's a good thing some of these automakers merged, some had nothing in their portfolio
Vert Midsize - 6-Series - See excerpt from above
Truck 1/2 Ton - Silverado - Toyota quality and BMW power trains in a hard American shell
Minivan - Sienna - A Toyota Sienna AWD tuned by BMW?!
Hatchback - Matrix/1-Series - 1-Series shows Matrix how to be cool, Matrix shows 1-Series how to stay out of the service department
Supercar - ZR1/LFA* - Chevrolet and Toyota build BMW it's first supercar 0_0

*LFA included

Ford/Honda/Mercedes - these guys tend to play second fiddle to the afformentioned but that doesn't mean that this conglomerate wouldn't be a serious player. Mercedes pioneered the automobile and Ford perfected the assembly. Honda to this day produces some of the best fit and finish in the industry. Together this company would produce an array of powerful and efficient vehicles. They would have power, prestige and quality bar none.

The best of platforms, power trains, drive trains, safety and technology. Combine the best attributes of these vehicles into a segment buster:
Sedan Small - Focus/Civic/C-Class - A small upscale luxury sport sedan graced with both efficient EcoBoost all the way up to a potent AMG V8
Sedan Midsize - Fusion/Accord/E-Class Type "Popular" into a search and it may yield these three names. Combine the three and the most popular midsize sedan will be born. It may not be the best handler nor the most powerful, but it would be efficient, safe, tech savy, and plush
Sedan Fullsize - S-Class Take the most prestigious fullsize luxury sedan on the market, don't do anything, and bam! Most prestigious fullsize luxury sedan on the market. Save the EcoBoost for midcycle refresh
CUV Small - Escape/CR-V/GLK Mix the best selling cute ute with some efficient EcoBoost, innovative kick trunk opener, a little leather and wood for a smarter cute ute
CUV Midsize - Edge/Explorer/Pilot/ML-Class New tech ute combined with a historic nameplate, tried and true quality, and an innovator make this ute a popular one.
SUV Fullsize - Expedition/GL-Class Class leading 3rd row seating trimmed in perforated leather
Coupe Small - Civic/C-Class Frugal meets luxury sport, world implodes.. ok well not really but minds would be blown
Coupe Midsize - Mustang/E-Class E-Class teaches the Mustang some manners, Mustang teaches the E-Class to lose the straight jacket = perfection ensues
Vert Small - C-Class Give it some EcoBoost and call it a day
Vert Midsize - Mustang/E-Class See "Coupe Midsize"
Truck 1/2 Ton - F-150 Why mess with perfection, well with the exception of adding a F-150 AMG Edition
Minivan - Odyssey/Flex - AWD, EcoBoost, and a little Funk help the Odyssey reign supreme
Hatchback - Focus/A-Class Talk about a hot hatch with Euro flair
Supercar Ford GT meets MBZ SLS AMG.. minds blown

Chrysler/Nissan/Audi - these three manufacturers share something in common. They have great portfolios but are not as we'll known at least in terms of sales figures. They offer some outstanding super cars from the new SRT Viper, GT-R, and R8 and lord knows what would happen if you combined these three into some monster of a car!

Sedan Small - 200/Sentra/A4 - Imagine a car that finally doesn't blend in with the rest. Thank you Audi LED lights!
Sedan Midsize - Altima/A6 - Hot new Altima mated with an A6 and bore an Altima6. Mazda is suing...
Sedan Fullsize - 300/Maxima/A8 - What do you get when you mix RWD with FWD with AWD? Who knows but it's bound to move in a light weight aluminum body with Hemi power and Japanese reliability
CUV Small - Rogue/Q3 - A competent little turbo 4 ute with AWD
CUV Midsize - Pathfinder/Q5 - A competent midsized supercharged 6 ute with AWD
SUV Fullsize - Armada/Q7 A large and unreliable ute with Quattro. Hey at least it's got a Hemi
Coupe Small - 370Z/TT - Katana sword meets Teutonic knight
Coupe Midsize - 370Z/A5 - Katana sword meets the A, S, and RS triplet sisters. Z gets recognition finally because of German DNA, A5 get's frisky
Vert Small - 370Z/TT - Same as above only heavier
Vert Midsize - 370Z/A5 - Also same as above except even heavier
Truck 1/2 Ton - Ram 1500/Titan - Remember a few years ago Dodge was supposed to underpin the next Titan? Well this time it happened. Also comes in SRT form
Minivan - Town and Country/Quest - Chrysler shacking up with VW for the Routan, bad idea. Chrysler shacking up with Nissan for the "Quest for Town and Country".. better
Hatchback - A3 - Already a nice formula, why mess with success
Supercar - Viper/GT-R/R8 - And boom goes the dynamite

Let's hear some others views, Ideas, tech sharing, possible products
Old 10-07-12, 06:20 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

I won't go into extreme detail, but in general, to me, the ideal vehicle (if mechanically possible) would have a Subaru-designed AWD system, Buick or Lexus sound insulation and transmission-smoothness, a Lexus or Audi-grade paint job, an upmarket British interior such as Jag/Aston/Rolls-Bentley, Volvo/Mercedes-levels of safety-engineering, the ride and seat-comfort of the now-discontinued Cadillac DTS, BMW-grade steering/handling, a Bluetec diesel powerplant, Honda/Acura-levels of quality control/assembly-precision, and, of course, the following standard equipment:

Body-side mouldings for paint-protection.

Hood springs/struts to hold it up without a rod.

A real spare tire/wheel assembly.

A fore/aft-motion transmission shifter instead of zig-zags.

A real engine-temperature gauge instead of idiot-lights.

Folding/swivel instead of fixed-positon side-mirror housings.

................................................................................................................

And, finally,..........

Progressive Insurance? Yeah, I like Flo, a real cutie......though I am a proper gentleman and not a womanizer, she can ride in the front seat with me any time, even if her flaky commercials are annoying

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-07-12 at 06:32 PM.
Old 10-07-12, 07:10 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Nissan is already mixed with Mercedes and owned by the CESM, and so far I'm not impressed by the results.
Old 10-07-12, 07:32 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Nissan is already mixed with Mercedes and owned by the CESM,

Isn't Nissan/Infiniti, as I understand it, owned by Renault? I know that they are working, though, with Daimler/Mercedes on a couple of projects.
Old 10-07-12, 07:54 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall

Isn't Nissan/Infiniti, as I understand it, owned by Renault? I know that they are working, though, with Daimler/Mercedes on a couple of projects.
LOL, do a google search on CESM.
Old 10-07-12, 08:51 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
LOL, do a google search on CESM.
If you are referring to what I believe you are referring to, I do not consider that funny. In fact, it is derogatory and an insult to the French, a very proud people. Is it any wonder so many peoples around the world detest America and consider the Americans to be ignorant xenophobes?

No, I am not French. But I do consider any derogatory names to be insulting, especially when they are the result of ignorance of other peoples, races and cultures.

Back on topic...

I favour Ford to GM or Chrysler; Mercedes to BMW or Volkswagen; and -- of course -- Toyota. I admire these 3 companies for their philosophy that they are product companies, so as automobile manufacturers, they each believe that they must produce good automobiles that people want to buy. I admire the automotive products they produce, and as an engineer, I admire the engineering that has gone into their automotive products and the continuing research into future technologies (materials and manufacturing, safety and new, innovative drivetrains). I also admire their independent spirit, and their conservative/modest nature (in comparison to some of their competitors).

Last edited by Sulu; 10-07-12 at 09:05 PM.
Old 10-07-12, 09:15 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If is to combine their strength.

BMW/Toyota/CHRY
Old 10-08-12, 05:48 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Sulu
If you are referring to what I believe you are referring to, I do not consider that funny. In fact, it is derogatory and an insult to the French, a very proud people. Is it any wonder so many peoples around the world detest America and consider the Americans to be ignorant xenophobes?

No, I am not French. But I do consider any derogatory names to be insulting, especially when they are the result of ignorance of other peoples, races and cultures.
Hey, I like the French. I used the term as a joke, if anything I believe anyone with common sense sees the term as a mockery of the said ignorant xenophobes.
Old 10-08-12, 06:30 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Sulu

Back on topic...

I favour Ford to GM or Chrysler; Mercedes to BMW or Volkswagen; and -- of course -- Toyota. I admire these 3 companies for their philosophy that they are product companies, so as automobile manufacturers, they each believe that they must produce good automobiles that people want to buy. I admire the automotive products they produce, and as an engineer, I admire the engineering that has gone into their automotive products and the continuing research into future technologies (materials and manufacturing, safety and new, innovative drivetrains). I also admire their independent spirit, and their conservative/modest nature (in comparison to some of their competitors).
fyi Och is a proud Russian And yes Nissan is owned by Renault and now they are in bed with Mercedes. The Infiniti M diesel in Europe uses a Renault engine and the next G/Skyline will use Benz engines and the new compact will be Mercedes based.

Would love to see Ford/Toyota/Mercedes....just for the deathmatches

Old 10-08-12, 05:17 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

I personally wouldn't want to see Lexus mixed up with anything, I'd rather it stays unmolested.

Although sometimes joint ventures can result in awesome results. The FRS/BRZ jointly developed by Toyota and Subaru is outstanding.

Last edited by Och; 10-08-12 at 05:25 PM.
Old 10-08-12, 05:28 PM
Hoovey689

If this were an exercise on how to follow instructions (ie the first post), I don't think many would pass . There's a few that get half credit
Old 10-10-12, 04:04 PM
2002GGPIS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My pick, GM/Toyota/VW

Just think of the superior lineup of supercars alone, ZR1, LFA, R8, 911 turbo/gt2/gt3, 918, Gallardo, Aventador...

Luxury wise, if you combine, the best elements of Cadillac,Lexus and Audi you will have the best car ever made.
Old 10-12-12, 02:15 PM
Hoovey689

Thanks to everyone who's responded so far. It's fun to imagine (as 2002GGPIS3 said) creating a "superior line-up" with existing manufacturers. Let's keep the mixing and matching going. What products do you think your conglomerate would create? Technology? Let's hear it!
Old 06-18-13, 03:38 PM
Hoovey689

Bumping this thread because its fun and thought provocative. Criteria from the first post still apply but so do the thoughts on post #13!
Old 06-18-13, 03:41 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

We need to add the Brits.

British:
MINI
Jaguar
Land Rover
(Lotus, Aston Martin, Bentley, Rolls Royce?)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Mix and Match to Create a Super Automotive Manufacturer