Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Chevy dealer sells car for wrong price, apologizes after having buyer arrested

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-12, 11:22 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

writing a false report to the police is a crime, hopefully someone will be punished for that
Old 10-03-12, 11:23 AM
Infra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
It's a significant part of this case, which was posted here in CAR CHAT. I don't see any problems with discussing it in connection with the lawsuits involved in the case. If the moderators disagree, they can say something about it.
Your assumption that the police must have had good cause for arrest beyond the dealership's accusations actually has no relevance to what was posted.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argument_from_authority

Because there is no reason to assume he should have been arrested, and because he was released after four hours when the situation became clear, there's certainly a much better chance that his arrest will be considered as proof of misconduct as opposed to not. If, even as you say, we suppose the police had good reason to arrest and detain the guy, then they also had good reason to not let him go after four hours.

Should we be free to break the law if we apologize for it? You seem to think a jury would find that this dealership should be.
Old 10-03-12, 12:14 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

happy to see that the dealership is going to get screwed. They need to learn from their mistakes and not make bigger ones to correct the smaller ones. I dont think anyone in their right mind would side with the dealership on this one
Old 10-03-12, 02:22 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 111 Likes on 82 Posts

it is simply horrible... trying to get someone into jail because you made a mistake... they should be punished, severely.
Old 10-03-12, 04:41 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts

I agree they should be punished for this.

I disagree with 2 million. Not only is it excessive in this case, it just adds to precedence in future cases.

Perhaps he should get his car for free though
Old 10-04-12, 03:41 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Free free free free
Old 10-04-12, 06:20 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 111 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
I agree they should be punished for this.

I disagree with 2 million. Not only is it excessive in this case, it just adds to precedence in future cases.

Perhaps he should get his car for free though
it should be 10 million.
Old 10-04-12, 07:21 PM
xsh0tya
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by spwolf
it should be 10 million.
Lol you mean 40 million, 10 million per hour.
Old 10-05-12, 06:55 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

after this lawsuit he can probably get a ZR1
Old 10-05-12, 10:57 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I don't see a huge award here, but clearly the dealer calling in the cops was an overreaction to say the least for driving off in a car for which the buyer has legitimately signed papers. The cops aren't to blame, they were responding to the dealer's accusation of theft, and four hours in the pokey is pretty minimal, given the inefficiency of our legal system, to get the charges dismissed and Mr. Sawyer released. He should be compensated for his time, and certainly for any marks this might leave on his credit or personal reputation. After all he didn't buy the car for a dollar, he just got an additional discount of 15% or so. Maybe the smart thing to do is just comp him the car and be done with it to avoid the *storm that's on the way from the press.

At this point, the only defense the dealer could bring is that Sawyer accepted a deal that was too good to be true, but the buying public isn't responsible for the seller's errors. Whether Sawyer realized he was getting a "steal" here or not (he apparently did not), when the salesman pushes those papers across the desk, that's it. It's an offer to sell, right or wrong, and by signing on the dotted line, Sawyer accepted those terms. Case closed. Priority Chevrolet needs to man up and take their lumps. The adverse publicity (never mind the finer points of the accusation) is going to cost far more than their loss on the vehicle

Last edited by Lil4X; 10-05-12 at 11:04 AM.
Old 10-06-12, 02:27 PM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm very glad the dealership has whats coming to them.

But I'm going to have to side with mmarshall, its going to be hard to win the case once the jury finds out Chevrolet apologized and agreed to the original price. Its probably best for the buyer to just settle