Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Motor Trend declares victor in epic BMW 3 Series versus Cadillac ATS battle

Old 09-26-12, 10:51 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Motor Trend declares victor in epic BMW 3 Series versus Cadillac ATS battle

Motor Trend declares victor in epic BMW 3 Series versus Cadillac ATS battle

Although many cars have tried, few have come even close to the capabilities exhibited by the BMW 3 Series. But the Caddilac ATS is a promising small sedan that could very well play spoiler to the most successful sports sedan on the globe. We've sampled both the ATS and the newest 3 Series, but Motor Trend had the chance to get both sport sedans together to test them out in its latest "Head 2 Head" video.

Right off the bat, M/T points out just how close these cars are in just about every category from size to weight to performance when comparing the 328i and ATS 2.0T variants. All of the dimensions are within just inches of each other and Cadillac's weight-conscious construction of the ATS makes it just 24 pounds heavier than the 328i. Both cars use turbocharged 2.0-liter I4 engine, and while on paper the ATS delivers more horsepower and torque, M/T points out that BMW is known for underrating its engines and estimates true output to be somewhere in the neighborhood of 270+ horsepower.

On the track, the BMW barely edges out the Cadillac in 0-60 and 1/4-mile times, but for a true comparison of how the ATS stacks up, M/T's Jonny Lieberman puts both cars through their paces along some of California's best back roads. Surprisingly, with "sharper and crisper" steering and Magnetic Ride Control, the ATS seemed to be more impressive along the twisty roads than the BMW, but both cars' biggest downfall was their manual transmissions. The shifter of the ATS exhibited a couple of issues that could seriously hamper performance, including a "ghost detent" when shifting into second gear and the need to double shift into gears, and Jonny really had nothing nice to say about the BMW's shifter or throttle response, either.

We're not going to play spoiler here, because regardless of which car is victorious in this head-to-head comparison, it's clear that driving enthusiasts are the true winners. No spoiler here, folks. Check out the video below to see if BMW retains its dominance in this segment or if Cadillac has managed to dethrone the king.

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/09/26/m...series-versus/
Old 09-26-12, 11:51 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Big suprise that their #1 beef was the shift quality in the ATS. GM just does not know how to make a smooth shifthing manual, this coming from somebody who owned a 98 Z28 Camaro and can bang through the gears quicker in his 93 Toyota truck.
Old 09-27-12, 12:28 AM
adamls2
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Still love the car though. Really appreciate another fun car to drive in this segment. Can't wait to see th V model
Old 09-27-12, 12:54 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

What if both cars were auto (vast majority of the market). Who would win?

That would be the more interesting question.
Old 09-27-12, 01:09 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I drove a 2013 328 3 weeks ago and it was really amazing. I was blown away at the the power, handling and fuel economy. It would take a pretty damn good car to knock the 3 series off its benchmark position
Old 09-27-12, 05:25 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I though BMW uses transmissions made by GM?
Old 09-27-12, 05:58 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by natnut
What if both cars were auto (vast majority of the market). Who would win?

That would be the more interesting question.
right! pretty dumb IMO to compare manual tranny luxury cars (.01% of Cadillacs sold?)

Originally Posted by Aron9000
Big suprise that their #1 beef was the shift quality in the ATS. GM just does not know how to make a smooth shifthing manual, this coming from somebody who owned a 98 Z28 Camaro and can bang through the gears quicker in his 93 Toyota truck.
GM doesn't build the tranny anyway...
http://www.tremec.com/oem/press.php

Last edited by bagwell; 09-27-12 at 06:02 AM.
Old 09-27-12, 07:04 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

These comparos are never ideal. I would rather have seen automatics compared (BMW 8 spd/Caddy 6 spd) but then you could argue why not compare manuals when dealing with sport sedans.
Old 09-27-12, 07:10 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would personally choose the ATS. BMW did a great job with the F30 328i but I am not a fan of the design inside or out. There are some bits and pieces on the interior that look and feel quite cheap, IMO.

The ATS has really caught my eye
Old 09-27-12, 08:08 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,095 Likes on 1,358 Posts

good video review (loved the edits with one care fading into the other!) - and amazing how similar the cars are.

the gm active shocks on the ats are, as always, a huge win. the crap stick shift is disappointing but i bet almost none will be sold with a stick anyway (even if it was great).

great job gm... and great job bmw!!
Old 09-27-12, 09:38 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

One thing I do know (haven't driven the ATS yet), the 3 series interior is disappointingly downmarket and a step down from the previous gen 3 series' interior in terms of fit and finish.

Almost seems like BMW is deliberately sandbagging the 3 series in order to prevent it cannibalizing 5 series sales.
Old 09-27-12, 10:09 AM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow finally a sports sedan being able to go neck and neck with 3-series, and it is from Cadillac! Can't wait until the 3rd gens of Lexus IS and Infiniti G to arrive.
Old 09-27-12, 12:06 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I'd go 3 Series.
Old 09-27-12, 01:37 PM
84Cressida
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by natnut
One thing I do know (haven't driven the ATS yet), the 3 series interior is disappointingly downmarket and a step down from the previous gen 3 series' interior in terms of fit and finish.

Almost seems like BMW is deliberately sandbagging the 3 series in order to prevent it cannibalizing 5 series sales.
It's not like the old one was very good either. Cheap, black 90s era radio area, and plastics were the film to match the color with the rest of the interior peels like it has on my mom's BMW.
Old 09-27-12, 04:42 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
right! pretty dumb IMO to compare manual tranny luxury cars (.01% of Cadillacs sold?)

GM doesn't build the tranny anyway...
http://www.tremec.com/oem/press.php
The problem, from my experience with GM manual trannies isn't the tranny itself. Its the linkage and shifter that sucks. Put a B&M shifter in that Z28 I was talking about earlier, night and day difference vs the stock one. 3rd gear was much easier to find, the stock one it was hard to tell 1st from 3rd, very bad if you're trying to win a race and have to granny shift to 3rd to make sure you don't get first and blow the motor up.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Motor Trend declares victor in epic BMW 3 Series versus Cadillac ATS battle