Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Next Infiniti G37 sedan nearly ready to take on BMW 3 Series

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-12, 05:45 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

The 2014 Infiniti G37 Will Debut In Detroit

From inception, the Infiniti G37 has been Nissan's "BMW 3-series killer." And just like any car labeled as a "BMW 3-series killer," it didn't kill the BMW at all.

The intention is the same with the 2014 G37, which we'll see in Detroit.

Currently, the G37 only offers one engine, a 3.7 liter V6 (the 2.5 liter experiment only lasted for one model year). The 3-series offers a whole slew of engines to give people tons of options.

It is anticipated that the new car will have a ton of engine choices in order to compete with the BMW on every level.

We've gotten a brief look at a very camouflaged car 2014 Infiniti G37, and it looks like the car will be growing in size and gaining a more flowing, curvy design.

But can it kill a 3-series? That remains to be seen.
http://jalopnik.com/5953726/the-2014...but-in-detroit
Old 10-22-12, 06:09 PM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With the number of problems I've been having with my 335i, I'll be taking a very serious look at the latest Japanese players as well when my lease is up in 2014. And the Infiniti G will be at the top of that list. Hoping they do come out with some more interesting engine options.
Old 10-22-12, 07:06 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looking forward to it.

Steve, what problems have you had with the Bimmer?
Old 10-22-12, 10:46 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

As usual it will be a great alternative to the BMW. The bimmer are always amazing dynamically but I think the G family offers a bit more size, power, and pretty the same tech. The G sedan is not a looker. The body is a bit lobular. I hope they make the G look like a smaller M. I love the way the M looks
Old 10-22-12, 11:31 PM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Looks like there is some potential for a nice looking car under all that camo.
Old 10-23-12, 07:17 AM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
Looking forward to it.

Steve, what problems have you had with the Bimmer?
Variable actuator flap in the exhaust broke resulting in a nasty bees in a can vibration, which had to be replaced. Then the hydraulic motor for the convertible top failed and had to be replaced. Now I've got a random "yellow service lift icon" on start up which I have no idea what it is, but I know when I'm going to get it because the touchless access doesn't work and I have to bust out the key fob to unlock it. Think there might be a power drain issue somewhere and it shuts down unnecessary systems as a precaution. And after replacing the hydraulic motor for the top, something in the right C-pillar area isn't quite in proper alignment because it can get hung up back there for a second or two while closing and occasionally not close at all forcing me to re-cycle it. Also makes some funny noises. I have this on video now. Was going to take the car in this week, but the weather is too nice to be stuck in a loaner and not have the convertible so I'm dragging my feet. Sunny and mid-70's.

These have all been "up gripes". It's never failed to start and its never left me stranded, but the car is barely a year old and doesn't even have 12,000 miles on it yet.... Love the car, and it's by far the best driving car I've ever owned, but have had enough issues with it now that I'll definitely be considering the competition. Will probably be going back to a sedan, too. Not because I don't love the convertible, but rather because squeezing my 6'3" carcass into a 2-door is taking its toll on my left knee and the twisting it has to go through to get myself in the car.
Old 10-23-12, 09:06 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I wish somebody with mad photoshop skills could fix these pics!!!!!
Old 11-12-12, 08:47 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Anybody been paying attention to G35/37driver boards. I'm just curious as to what the Infiniti boys are thinking and hoping the next G will bring.

All I know is the G needs to hit the ground running, because that's what the 3IS is going to do
Old 11-13-12, 04:41 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Haha he's photographing the spy photographers. Touche
Old 11-13-12, 08:16 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Anybody been paying attention to G35/37driver boards. I'm just curious as to what the Infiniti boys are thinking and hoping the next G will bring.

All I know is the G needs to hit the ground running, because that's what the 3IS is going to do
Clearly fans are happy for the new model since the current one is now very old. Concerns seem to be the fishy styling that doesn't work for the bigger M and that it won't be Japanese but some Renault/Benz/Nissan mash up.

Most are hoping for some kind of car to join the AMG/F/M/RS/V battle.

Old 11-13-12, 10:32 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Handling wise the G series has been better than the IS250/350. I've test driven quite a few times and its a noticeable difference. However, the styling on the current one is kinda meh. I have my 2004 G coupe and its bullet proof...always redline that thing and reliability has been awesome. It was waaaay better than my Lexus RX even I'm hoping the next gen IS350 has more rear seat room and a bit better handling. The current VQ isn't as good as the 3.5L that Lexus offers and the gas mileage is horrible.
Old 11-13-12, 12:39 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by Blueprint
Clearly fans are happy for the new model since the current one is now very old. Concerns seem to be the fishy styling that doesn't work for the bigger M and that it won't be Japanese but some Renault/Benz/Nissan mash up.

Most are hoping for some kind of car to join the AMG/F/M/RS/V battle.
Originally Posted by EZZ
Handling wise the G series has been better than the IS250/350. I've test driven quite a few times and its a noticeable difference. However, the styling on the current one is kinda meh. I have my 2004 G coupe and its bullet proof...always redline that thing and reliability has been awesome. It was waaaay better than my Lexus RX even I'm hoping the next gen IS350 has more rear seat room and a bit better handling. The current VQ isn't as good as the 3.5L that Lexus offers and the gas mileage is horrible.
I think they need to implement that Katana styling better. They need to be like the Samurai brand of premium Japanese makes. They have the technology to do so, not to mention Euro ties.

Handling wise, if the 3IS takes any cues from it's older GS brother, it'll be near the top of its segment with the 3-Series and ATS (with magnetic ride control). Hence, the G needs to hit the ground running. As Honda has seen, you can have all the great history but that doesn't guarantee that you'll continue those glory days amongst modern competition. It's just too stiff nowadays. I agree styling has become stale. I love the G35, its much more clean and masculine rather than the frumpy and feminine G37. Which RX? 3IS is 3.1" longer, 2.8" wheelbase increase, 0.5" wider which should contribute to more room. Correct, the current VQ37 is course and unrefined and sucks gas, I would easily take the older 306hp VQ35 over it. And kudos to Lexus, there are very few NA V6's that can even match the torque number on the Lexus 3.5 DI
Old 11-13-12, 01:23 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
I think they need to implement that Katana styling better. They need to be like the Samurai brand of premium Japanese makes. They have the technology to do so, not to mention Euro ties.

Handling wise, if the 3IS takes any cues from it's older GS brother, it'll be near the top of its segment with the 3-Series and ATS (with magnetic ride control). Hence, the G needs to hit the ground running. As Honda has seen, you can have all the great history but that doesn't guarantee that you'll continue those glory days amongst modern competition. It's just too stiff nowadays. I agree styling has become stale. I love the G35, its much more clean and masculine rather than the frumpy and feminine G37. Which RX? 3IS is 3.1" longer, 2.8" wheelbase increase, 0.5" wider which should contribute to more room. Correct, the current VQ37 is course and unrefined and sucks gas, I would easily take the older 306hp VQ35 over it. And kudos to Lexus, there are very few NA V6's that can even match the torque number on the Lexus 3.5 DI
We had the RX300. It was a great vehicle but had some issues with premature break wear and other issues (like the tranny leaking ). I love my G35 but in a couple years, it will be time to switch. I want more refinement in my next vehicle but wanna keep it a sports sedan. My buddies 3 series was lemoned so I don't trust BMW (all my friend's 3 series have issues) so wanna go Lexus or Infiniti. I like the IS3 better than the current G and with the increase in dimensions, I think thats the way to go. The G is getting sorta big from the pictures i've seen
Old 11-13-12, 06:39 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Most important aspect of the next G is looks, both interior and exterior and price with decent power, if they can't get that right then they missed the target, the 3 and C class are both selling by name and future owners hoping to one day own an AMG or M, the Infiniti has to be exceptionally better then the base C and 3.

As the Japanese raise the prices on the luxury brands, more people just go back to the Germans
Old 11-14-12, 10:46 AM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by <VENOM>
Most important aspect of the next G is looks, both interior and exterior and price with decent power, if they can't get that right then they missed the target, the 3 and C class are both selling by name and future owners hoping to one day own an AMG or M, the Infiniti has to be exceptionally better then the base C and 3.

As the Japanese raise the prices on the luxury brands, more people just go back to the Germans
That's right, the MY03 G35 hasn't been around nearly as long as C and 3

Quick Reply: Next Infiniti G37 sedan nearly ready to take on BMW 3 Series