Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Rdgdawg review- 2012 Kia Optima SX T-GDI

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-12, 12:48 PM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rdgdawg review- 2012 Kia Optima SX T-GDI

Rdgdawg review- 2012 Kia Optima SX T-GDI-kia-i.jpg

My first review:

So just shy of 6 months and 10K miles I thought I'd do a write-up on the Optima as a bunch of people wanted my impressions. Hope I don't jinx it ... I will add pics and update my review based on my new Michelin Primacys which arrive Thurs... enjoy!

Style- grows on me everyday. I cannot believe how many folks stop me at the gym, post office, etc. and ask about the car. I even had a guy in an Aston Martin Vantage convertible (as you guys know, my dream car!) stop and ask what I thought. The wheels have grown on me but are VERY susceptible to curb rash, as I painfully found out. I found a local guy here who can buff them good as new but going to wait til after winter. Black interior is good with carbon highlights around dash and on doors. Cloth trim on leather seat edges is nice touch
Rdgdawg review- 2012 Kia Optima SX T-GDI-kia-v.jpg

Interior/space- in a word- amazing! Seems MUCH smaller driving and riding in it until you realize the space! Seats are very comfortable, have taken 4 trips of 5+ hours and no sign of wear yet. Gauges legible and gas gauge is very accurate. Stereo is not Infinity but have not been displeased. Have sat in Optima w/ NAV/Infinity and although sound is better, this does just fine, which is a big plus for Kia considering my affinity for music. Sirius/XM keeps plenty of good-sounding tunes, which for my taste is Boneyard, Hair Nation, and Rock Classic. Bluetooth hooks up quick to my Samsung GS II and voice recognition is excellent. Trunk is HUGE and rear seats fold forward so can carry large objects (have carried 2 futon matresses for example). People in back have plenty of space, and kids don't kick seats. Easy for them to buckle in and go. Wind noise is minimal. Almost no blind spot, visibility out of car is exceptional. Safety rating is number 1 for the class. Steering wheel feels good in hand and fairly well positioned, but is no Porsche... well, no car is as far as steering wheel position is concerned. But still quite comfortable.
Rdgdawg review- 2012 Kia Optima SX T-GDI-kia-vi.jpg

Engine/mileage- OUTSTANDING. Car has 274HP, but feels much more. In regular mode, will run with most cars all day. Several trips to Chicago and further, Mercedes C & E series, Audi A4 & A6, Caddys, BMW 328s & 528s... stays right with all of them. Average 31 hwy. In ECO, mileage is even better, will run 34-35 at 72mph. Is quick off the line and can get you in trouble quickly. No highway drone, and gauge to empty again accurate. As winter approaches, will be interested to see how this changes. Have driven 93 octane almost exclusively, when dropping to lower octane there is noticable difference in acceleration and mileage dips about 2 mpg.

Handling/ride- here's the mixed bag. When it's dry, LIGHTS OUT! Will corner speeding around hwy entrance ramps and thru twisties. Smooth as silk... as long as road is smooth. Soon as there's rain or choppy streets... look out!! Hankook Optimos are crap!!! When it rains or is wet, have to slow way down, will hydroplane easily and will hop on broken pavement. When dry and smooth, no highway traffic or street congestion is an issue. Country roads... sweet! You put the car where you want it every time. Looking forward to the Michelin Primacys which arrive Thurs, much research on them and the Michelins should turn this into dream-handling machine for a sedan. I will update after I put some miles on...
Rdgdawg review- 2012 Kia Optima SX T-GDI-kia-vii.jpg

Price/warranty- $30K car sticker, got it for $24K OTD... already offering discounts on 2013s to keep volume going. Kia is owned by Hyundai, so same 10yr/100K mile warranty, excellent dealer service.

Out-of-pocket- Oil: $18.00 (got all covered first 3 years, my cost is synthetic upgrade), $250.00 for tint, $600.00 for Michelins... that's it

Verdict- two enthusiastic THUMBS UP!! New tires should just add more enjoyment it, looking forward to how she runs, and again I'll update. Warranty is best in class, service has been outstanding at two dealerships. Would highly recommend, 2nd favorite car I've had behind my Mustang GT. If you are in need of a fun, quick, good gas mileage sedan that is reliable, this is it. No rattles, ride is tight and dialed in but not harsh, easy on long drives, gets attention, and makes you think of reasons to go for a drive, which is what we all want anyway!!

Kudos,
Russ

Last edited by rdgdawg; 09-26-12 at 12:22 PM.
Old 09-25-12, 01:16 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Thanks for the reveiw. It sounds like you really like the Optima.

They still catch my eye when see one on the road. I have always preferred the Optima styling over Sonata.
Old 09-25-12, 01:18 PM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

This generation of Kia Optima is arguably the best looking four door family sedan. I have seen more and more on the street. Before my sister got her Nissan Juke, I persuaded her to get an Optima EX but she just doesn't want another sedan after her 04 325i sedan. If I am in the market for a 4 door mid-sized family sedan, only '13 Accord EX or the SX of this new Optima will be considered. Yesterday I saw a white SX Limited with LED DRL and LED taillights I was really really impressed. The only question of this car is its steering. I went on the Optima forums and lots of people complaining that it is difficult to keep a straight line on freeway so constantly need to adjust and it is very vexing. Does it happen to yours? Nice car anyways.
Old 09-25-12, 01:26 PM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Originally Posted by TwiBlueG35
..... The only question of this car is its steering. I went on the Optima forums and lots of people complaining that it is difficult to keep a straight line on freeway so constantly need to adjust and it is very vexing. Does it happen to yours? Nice car anyways.
No, not like either of my IS250s... I don't notice at all after the 250s... torque steer isn't bad unless broken road... I have big driving weekend ahead with new Michelins and see if this is even less pronounced...

Last edited by rdgdawg; 09-25-12 at 01:30 PM.
Old 09-25-12, 01:30 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Nice write up Russ. Nice to see good impressions considering many Hyundai's are getting slammed for advertised claims.

Originally Posted by TwiBlueG35
This generation of Kia Optima is arguably the best looking four door family sedan.
That's why it's arguable hah. 14 Mazda6, 13 Fusion, 13 Altima in that order get the nod over the optima
Old 09-25-12, 02:04 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I think the car is a "looker" and I would buy this over the Hyundai. I saw one a few weeks back that looked so nice, lowered, tints, and aftermarket rims. I had to catch up to see it up close. I was ready to give the guy the thumbsup until we stopped and I saw knock off Work rims. Exact same I had on my GS. But I couldn't stop looking at the car as we stayed fairly close until I turned off.

Thanks for sharing your experience
Old 09-25-12, 02:45 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 111 Likes on 82 Posts

it looks really nice and few upgrades to the plastic inside would make it perfect...congrats!
Old 09-25-12, 02:59 PM
madmax2k1
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

24K OTD is an incredible deal.
Old 09-25-12, 05:45 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Nice write-up, Russ........and where have you been? Haven't seen you post on CAR CHAT much lately.

Congratulations. I generally have a high opinion of the Optima...as you remember from my own reviews. It's a very nice car, especially compared to previous versions. When I bought my new Buick Verano a couple of months ago, the Optima was very high on my list.....among the top 3 or 4, though I think I would have gone with a N/A or EX Turbo model, as the SX's suspension/tires, on bad pavement, are too stiff for my tastes. The EX Turbo gives the same power level with somewhat softer underpinnings.

Enjoy your new car.....and watch out for those curbs.

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-25-12 at 05:53 PM.
Old 09-25-12, 06:01 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

I see so many on the road these days, good job to Hyundai and Kia. If you combine sonata and optima sales, the numbers are fantastic
Old 09-25-12, 06:29 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
I see so many on the road these days, good job to Hyundai and Kia. If you combine sonata and optima sales, the numbers are fantastic
Many people, especially in the auto press, feel that the Optima is much better looking than the Sonata, both inside and out. I agree.
Old 09-26-12, 06:34 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I like the Optima.Especially in the Limited.
I don't care for those wheels,though.
Old 09-26-12, 10:12 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

All... thx for the comments.. I do love it... appreciate the feedback!!

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Nice write-up, Russ........and where have you been? Haven't seen you post on CAR CHAT much lately.

Congratulations. I generally have a high opinion of the Optima...as you remember from my own reviews. It's a very nice car, especially compared to previous versions. When I bought my new Buick Verano a couple of months ago, the Optima was very high on my list.....among the top 3 or 4, though I think I would have gone with a N/A or EX Turbo model, as the SX's suspension/tires, on bad pavement, are too stiff for my tastes. The EX Turbo gives the same power level with somewhat softer underpinnings.

Enjoy your new car.....and watch out for those curbs.
LOL... thx Mike, it has been a while... move back to WI and new job had me traveling everywhere last several months with virtually no downtime... good to be back. I do love the car, I liked the handling of the SX over the EX but we know we agree on all else, you've a "softer ride" guy The Verano actually was in the final 3 (#3 was Mustang GT, winter in WI and kids riding in back eliminated it) and I did like it, it's a bit more upscale that the Optima in some interior finishes but the handling on the Kia iced it for me... curb monsters love these wheels, must be very careful

Originally Posted by Joeb427
I like the Optima.Especially in the Limited.
I don't care for those wheels,though.
I didn't at first but they are slowly growing on me... when wheels waxed and tires detailed with Tire Wet they really pop!!!
Old 09-26-12, 11:08 AM
rkyat
Lexus Test Driver

Nice write-up! I was looking at optimas as well but lack of manual steered me away. Good luck with it!
Old 09-26-12, 12:24 PM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rkyat
Nice write-up! I was looking at optimas as well but lack of manual steered me away. Good luck with it!
Thx... Paddles are positioned perfectly... I'm a "stick" guy too but these work pretty well (see pic)

Quick Reply: Rdgdawg review- 2012 Kia Optima SX T-GDI