Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Back in the Game – Can’t Believe I Got an Acura

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-12, 05:35 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts
Default Back in the Game – Can’t Believe I Got an Acura

Long story short, after one great year of ownership on the S550, we decided to sell the car before the value takes another hit in the market. It’s been super solid and a fantastic car to drive, never really gave us any problems either.

Next question was what to get next. Since we already have a Lexus SUV, my wife said she wants something fun, so initial thought was BMW M5 or MB CLS63 / E63, since they are 4 door and more volatile. But typical price depreciations on Euro cars make those cars not as desirable.

Truth is our Lexus SUV is so solid so hopefully there won’t be really a time that we need a backup sedan for our kids, my wife said how about just get a fun coupe? (where do you find a wife like that, haha…)

After a very lucky 2 month search (usually people spend much longer to find theirs), we ended up with this. I still can’t believe I got another Acura. After our disappointing 2002 TL-S with slipping transmission, I said we would stay away from the brand. But I guess this is an exception. Here we go – 2002 NSX, Grand Prix White (GPW) with white interior!!!!!!

Sorry for the cell phone pics

Big thanks to few people, pvmike, Coconut, GS3Tek (NSXTek), and ChrisK, all current or ex-NSX owners. And of course a few other gurus on NSXPrime as well.

I had no idea just how rare the NSX is, less than 9000 in the US from 1991 to 2005. And from what I gathered, there are only 9 in the US with my combo, white/white. That makes things quite interesting.

I still need to get used to the car more, but so far all I can say is “WOW”. Easily the fastest car I have had. I don’t care about the 290hp on paper. At around 2900lb, this car is noticeably faster than my 08 M3. It’s so light and balanced it’s a pure blast to drive. I loved my M3, but in terms of driving there is no comparison.

And for a 10 year old car, I think the NSX is extremely well built. Actually I drove another 1996 before and it’s also very solid, this says a lot about the design. Of course there is not much of luxury and technology to talk about, and it’s very loud by comparison, but the car is so different I love it in a unique way.

So far everything is stock except that I added iPod integration (CD changer is a thing in the past…) A lot of people have asked me what I would do to the car next. Well we will see

Driving it every day and I realized, over the years, I don’t really see a lot of NSX around at all, let alone the 2002-2005 NA2. I wonder when I am going to run into another NSX on the road

For those interested, this was how I went through the 400 miles trip...

Old 09-24-12, 05:40 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

wow.....excellent pick up !!!

LOVE IT IN WHITE!!!

it IS a manual right? (can't see clutch/brake pedals)
Old 09-24-12, 05:45 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by bagwell
wow.....excellent pick up !!!

LOVE IT IN WHITE!!!

it IS a manual right? (can't see clutch/brake pedals)
haha of course! funny thing is when my wife told me to start looking at the NSX (yes, she approved it), she said please make sure we only get manual tranny.

oh i love her
Old 09-24-12, 05:53 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Congratulations, Henry. Nice-looking car.

Just out of curiosity, despite its age, did the collision/comprehensive insurance premiums take a jump over the Mercedes? NSX's, of course, like some all-aluminum Jaguars and Audis, need special body shops that specialize in aluminum body/frame repairs.
Old 09-24-12, 06:01 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by mmarshall

Just out of curiosity, despite its age, did the collision/comprehensive insurance premiums take a jump over the Mercedes? NSX's, of course, like some all-aluminum Jaguars and Audis, need special body shops that specialize in aluminum body/frame repairs.
thanks mike.

actually insurance premium on the nsx is ridiculously cheap for what it is, even my agent was surprised. the market value of the nsx is double that of the s550 i sold. however, probably because of "age" and that it's v6, the premium on the nsx is 20% less than our s550.

i was pleasantly surprised
Old 09-24-12, 06:02 PM
GS3Tek

Received 163 Likes on 124 Posts
Thumbs up

Congratulations you lucky bastard! Took you long enough
Wish I could've gone with you for that road trip

Me too. After my sister's 01 civic crappy transmission gave out early, I didn't want to deal with a honda either.

We need to meet up!!!

Originally Posted by mmarshall

^^^
Insurance alone for mine is verrry cheap. I pay about $600/yr, but mine is not a DD like Henry's.
Old 09-24-12, 06:08 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
haha of course! funny thing is when my wife told me to start looking at the NSX (yes, she approved it), she said please make sure we only get manual tranny.

oh i love her
damn, must be nice....my wife will NOT drive a stick anymore
Old 09-24-12, 06:21 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Faster than V8 M3?
Old 09-24-12, 06:22 PM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bagwell
damn, must be nice....my wife will NOT drive a stick anymore
Girlfriend drives manual better than I do

Old 09-24-12, 06:29 PM
Mbenz528i
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome pick up! It is amazing that after a current M3, and S550 that this car feels/drives the best. Arguably, pound for pound, the best car ever made.
Old 09-24-12, 06:45 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

Congrats Henry - super clean!
Old 09-24-12, 06:50 PM
pvmike1
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Now that you are posting about this, I must disclose to everyone that I did contribute to this irresponsible behavior by encouraging Henry to buy such a pimp daily driver. It is one of nine ever made in that color combo and one of only twenty four white '02+ NSXs imported to the US.

And now fanbois will line the street wherever you go, snapping photos and gawking as you drive past. It'll probably be the only white 02+ NSX they will ever see in person, and there it is at some innocuous spot like the drive through at In'N'Out or at the dry cleaners.

Sorry dude. Please tint your windows.
Old 09-24-12, 07:04 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
We need to meet up!!!

Please invite me to your party
Old 09-24-12, 07:14 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Lol just further proof that German cars are disposable fashion accessories.
Old 09-24-12, 07:18 PM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 121 Likes on 94 Posts

Great pick up

I have never seen this color combo

How many miles on it and how many owners?

Quick Reply: Back in the Game – Can’t Believe I Got an Acura