Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2012 IS 300 vs 2013 ES 350?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-12, 12:48 PM
edh
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 IS 300 vs 2013 ES 350?

Hi All,

Lexus Newb here, hoping someone who spent time in both the IS & ES could provide some feedback.... (I realize all this is totally subjective, but I'm hoping I'll hear pros & cons I haven't thought of yet). I also realize the IS & ES are two totally different cars / demographics, but I love them both.

I've been car shopping, and was really planning on an Audi A5. But after spending some time at the Lexus dealership, I think I'm sold on Lexus. I really loved the ride, (low) interior noise, and value of the Lexus. I liked the Audi interior slightly better, but either is great, and everything else on the Lexus makes up for it.

I'm coming out of a Prius now (so everything seems nicer to me, and yes I saw the CT, but don't like it), but my prior car was an Infiniti M45, and several German cars prior to that. I've had (and liked) everything from a 911 to the M45, so my taste is all over the map

Though, I am getting older so I am leaning more toward the smooth ride & quite interior than the raw power and sports feel.

The car will be my daily driver (20 mile one way, mostly freeway) and also a family road trip car (Wife, and 1 - 5 year old child).

I like the pep of the IS better, but like the larger interior space and 2013 electronics (GPS, Apps, Side mirror blindspot alerts). I like the exterior of both, and am really torn on that. I feel like if the IS refresh had already happened, Imay be leaning that way just a bit more. My dealer is also giving really good deals on the 2012 IS's right now (~5k off sticker) so that helps too.

Anyhow - any feedback from folks have spent time in both is really appreciated. Let me know if you have any questions that might help.

TIA!
Old 09-24-12, 01:07 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

may want to wait it out for the next model IS which is rumored sometime in the spring. They are both quick cars already the 270hp in the ES is no slouch, but obviously the IS is faster. I have an IS but only have sat in the new ES. New ES is very roomy, much more upscale feeling than the previous Camryish gens.
Old 09-24-12, 01:13 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

coming out of Prius, you will like new IS300h or ES300h :-).

Wait for 6 months....
Old 09-24-12, 01:27 PM
amphipri0n
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm planning on getting a '13 ES 350 when the feeding frenzy slows down, and one thing that stuck out that you mentioned was 'road trip' (since this would be the primary purpose for mine). I would think the ES is going to serve a much better highway cruiser with its suspension and comfier seats (especially with the optional leg cushion extenders)

Of course there are other things to consider, like when you're not WITH your wife and child an IS does say "younger"
Old 09-24-12, 03:20 PM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Everthing that you have mentioned I would highly suggest an es350 2013 model, you can't go wrong with it. Want something with more power and sportiness then is.
Old 09-24-12, 07:43 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

Seems like the es might be the better choice for you. I didn't realize how good looking it was until i went to the dealership for an oil change. Definitely an upgrade from the last model, first es i have really liked since the 3rd generation.
Old 09-25-12, 05:06 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by edh
Hi All,

Lexus Newb here, hoping someone who spent time in both the IS & ES could provide some feedback.... (I realize all this is totally subjective, but I'm hoping I'll hear pros & cons I haven't thought of yet). I also realize the IS & ES are two totally different cars / demographics, but I love them both.

I've been car shopping, and was really planning on an Audi A5. But after spending some time at the Lexus dealership, I think I'm sold on Lexus. I really loved the ride, (low) interior noise, and value of the Lexus. I liked the Audi interior slightly better, but either is great, and everything else on the Lexus makes up for it.

I'm coming out of a Prius now (so everything seems nicer to me, and yes I saw the CT, but don't like it), but my prior car was an Infiniti M45, and several German cars prior to that. I've had (and liked) everything from a 911 to the M45, so my taste is all over the map

Though, I am getting older so I am leaning more toward the smooth ride & quite interior than the raw power and sports feel.

The car will be my daily driver (20 mile one way, mostly freeway) and also a family road trip car (Wife, and 1 - 5 year old child).

I like the pep of the IS better, but like the larger interior space and 2013 electronics (GPS, Apps, Side mirror blindspot alerts). I like the exterior of both, and am really torn on that. I feel like if the IS refresh had already happened, Imay be leaning that way just a bit more. My dealer is also giving really good deals on the 2012 IS's right now (~5k off sticker) so that helps too.

Anyhow - any feedback from folks have spent time in both is really appreciated. Let me know if you have any questions that might help.

TIA!
The IS's trunk will be tight for a road trip if you need a stroller and baby gear.
Old 09-25-12, 06:27 AM
edh
Driver School Candidate

thanks for all the feedback. I spent another hour at the dealer last night looking at the ES & IS. Still not sure! I took Thursday off to make the purchase, so hopefully I'll decide by then! :-)
Old 09-25-12, 06:45 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by edh
thanks for all the feedback. I spent another hour at the dealer last night looking at the ES & IS. Still not sure! I took Thursday off to make the purchase, so hopefully I'll decide by then! :-)
get the ES300h :-)... if you are buying now... IS will be all new model in 6 months from now.
Old 09-25-12, 07:23 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

IMO you really would like the big back seat and huge trunk of the ES350 with the little kid. The IS350 is really a small car like a Mazda 3, Chevy Cobalt, etc in terms of space.

Also, you might want to go look at a fully loaded v6 Camry SE. Its the same car under the skin as an ES350. The Camry SE has that nice haul *** v6 like the Lexus, the heated sport seats with suede and serious bolsters are just AWESOME, sunroof, it has the keyless start/entry, satellite radio, automatic climate control, navigation, and the play with your iphone "ENTUNE" app.

Seriously my mom bought a loaded Camry v6 SE, its a damn nice, haul ***, sporty car for about 30k. Granted its not as luxurious as her previous 2000 Avalon, ie its noisier, back seat is tighter, trunk is smaller, doesn't have that ulitmate cream puff ride like that car. Although it drives a hell of a lot nicer, handles great and hauls ***.
Old 09-25-12, 07:29 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

^ The Camry and es are now separate, from what i understand the es is based on the Avalon chasis now
Old 09-26-12, 07:49 PM
edh
Driver School Candidate

Just picked up a 2013 es 350. Thanks again for all the feedback.

And I guess you'll be seeing more of me around here!
Old 09-27-12, 09:00 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Congratulations. A wise choice, IMO. I think the ES is much better suited as an all-around daily-driver than the IS.

And welcome to CL as a new poster.

2012 IS 300 vs 2013 ES 350?
BTW, I think you made a typo........there is no 2012 IS300 in the American market.........hasn't been for several years. The current IS models are the 250 and 350, RWD and AWD.

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-27-12 at 09:05 AM.
Old 09-27-12, 09:41 AM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by edh
Just picked up a 2013 es 350. Thanks again for all the feedback.

And I guess you'll be seeing more of me around here!
That was quick!
I would pick the new ES over the older IS also.

You gotta give us more information than that......the buying process, the haggling, the sleepless nights, the strollers not fitting in the trunk with the camping gears, the pictures,......... etc. etc
Old 09-27-12, 11:18 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

pics or it didnt happen

Quick Reply: 2012 IS 300 vs 2013 ES 350?