Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Thoughts for a commuter car

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-16, 05:58 AM
Wandl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts
Default Thoughts for a commuter car

So with an upcoming change in roles in my job, I can now look forward to a daily 80 mile commute. As I don't want to put those miles on my main Lexus, wanted your take on something that I could just buy outright and pile on the miles with. My preference
1) comfort- my LS460 has spoiled me so would prefer a plush ride vs firm
2) reliability - I can hear my wife yelling at me already...so prefer a solid track record
3) 4 door - in the occasional event I need to get the kids in the car
4) Sub-$10k including TTL

Initial thoughts so far are:

a) 01-04 LS430 (high miles but not too worried)
b) 07-09 Camry
c) 07 ES350
d) 06-07 Avalon

I now realize these are Toyota/Lexus rides, and certainly open to other makes...but welcome your thoughts!
Old 01-19-16, 06:14 AM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

I think you have quite the list there. I would personally pick from that list. I don't know the gas mileages off the top of my head, but I image the Camry, ES, and Avalon might be slightly higher in the city. But going from the LS to something else might be tough.

Personally I guess I would go with the 430 out of that list, but myself I would buy a 98-00 LS 400. I love them. Had a 98 and would buy one again in a min. Would be a search to find one with decent mileage that hasn't already been destroyed by either putting stupid wheels on it or bad maintenance, but they do pop up now and again.
Old 01-19-16, 06:42 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

You've done a good job making that list: there isn't much I can really add to it. I've always had an extremely high opinion of the LS430, and feel that, as a pure luxury car with non-sporting pretentious, it as arguably the best product Lexus has ever done. I note your Texas address, which means that, unless you liven or near the northwestern Panhandle part of the state (Amarillo, Lubbock, etc...) or in the mountains west of the Pecos River, snow will usually not be much of an issue. Still, note, however, that unlike the other choices, the LS430 did not offer FWD or AWD. The 07-09 Camry also had what I thought was an unimpressive and cheaply-done interior, with a lot of flimsy plastic.
Old 01-19-16, 07:20 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
You've done a good job making that list: there isn't much I can really add to it. I've always had an extremely high opinion of the LS430, and feel that, as a pure luxury car with non-sporting pretentious, it as arguably the best product Lexus has ever done. I note your Texas address, which means that, unless you liven or near the northwestern Panhandle part of the state (Amarillo, Lubbock, etc...) or in the mountains west of the Pecos River, snow will usually not be much of an issue. Still, note, however, that unlike the other choices, the LS430 did not offer FWD or AWD. The 07-09 Camry also had what I thought was an unimpressive and cheaply-done interior, with a lot of flimsy plastic.
I had a 2007 4-cylinder Camry for 4 years, and other than sun visors that were not properly installed (so that they would not stay in position but were eventually fixed under warranty), I had absolutely no problems with it. There were some minor alignment issues on the dashboard and some plastics were hard, but the plastics were NOT flimsy. It was like any Camry I have ever owned -- refined, great on long-distance drives and never gave me a problem. I would highly recommend it.

Note that the early 2007 Camry V6 models with the 6-speed transmission had transmission problems (don't remember if the Avalon had the same problem) so if you are looking for a V6/6-speed drivetrain, go for a 2008 or 2009 model.
Old 01-19-16, 07:26 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Wandl
So with an upcoming change in roles in my job, I can now look forward to a daily 80 mile commute. As I don't want to put those miles on my main Lexus, wanted your take on something that I could just buy outright and pile on the miles with. My preference
2) reliability - I can hear my wife yelling at me already...so prefer a solid track record

b) 07-09 Camry
c) 07 ES350
d) 06-07 Avalon

I now realize these are Toyota/Lexus rides, and certainly open to other makes...but welcome your thoughts!
The newest vehicle coupled with the least amount of mileage is the one you should pick.
Old 01-19-16, 07:42 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

I never understood the point of commuter cars unless we are talking about some hard sports car as the one that you want to preserve... I want to be in the most expensive one I can afford on my daily commute, in this case LS.
Old 01-19-16, 09:57 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The only question I would have about the LS would be the cost of service and insurance. Those are a couple of things we don't often consider when looking for a long-distance DD. If you are going to have customers in your car, a nice one would be helpful, but otherwise something that's just above the point of embarrassment could save you a lot of money.
Old 01-19-16, 10:11 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Go look at a Honda Accord as well. Personally I like the 2003-2007 models better than the 08-2012 models, the styling and dash layout is better IMO. I know that the 7th gen models are getting up there in age now, but usually you can find a basic 4 cylinder owned by some little old lady that has like 50k miles on it and is really nice for a good price.

I'd also look at the Mazda 6, you can get a much newer/lower mile one since they don't hold their value as well.

Or if you really want to go el-cheapo, you could buy an Impala and pretend you're a cop on your 80 mile commute. Rag on that car all you want, the police abuse the hell out of them and they do last. Obviously do your homework and don't buy one that was an ex cop car or ex rental car
Old 01-19-16, 10:36 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
I never understood the point of commuter cars unless we are talking about some hard sports car as the one that you want to preserve... I want to be in the most expensive one I can afford on my daily commute, in this case LS.
agree 100%. as the 'beater' is driven thousands of miles, the 'nice car' that would be FAR more comfortable to commute in, sits there doing nothing in garage. it's going to depreciate either way. the beater likely won't save any money between the cost of it, additional maintenance, insurance, taxes, registration, etc.

then there's having to drive that 10 year old car without the creature comforts day in and day out 80 miles... no thanks.
Old 01-19-16, 10:45 AM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 121 Likes on 94 Posts

What about an older Infinti G35 RWD?
Old 01-19-16, 05:36 PM
Wandl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

Thanks guys for your thoughts and comments. I am leaning towards the LS (most luxury I can afford in the price bracket), I am slightly concerned with the MPG but with gas here in North Dallas in the $1.5x per gallon mark, however short-lived, it wouldn't have a short-term impact. Plus I'd imagine the LS430 would hold it's value 30-40k miles later, potentially compared against the other vehicles I have on my shortlist. I did find a few ES350's as well that fits the bill.

G35 - Drove a 06 Maxima for a while, the ride was awesome however a little too firm for my taste now (maybe I'm getting old) so I'd assume the G35 would be similar?
Mazda 6 - Found some that were in the price range, however reading some of the forum reviews with spotty reliability is of concern (again comparing to a Lexus/Toyota)
Accord - very viable, checking it out!
LS400 - Aiming for a 98 or 99, have found one potential candidate at $5k hoping it's not beat up, will check it out this weekend.
Impala - actually one of my first choices! Wife said no...hahaha something about Impalas....now I did find a 97 Impala SS with the LT1 powertrain.....those hold their value surprisingly well..

The newest/lowest mileage I'd be able to afford is a 09/10 Camry or Accord - both are still valid options at this point as well. Open to any other suggestions....
Old 01-19-16, 05:45 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Wandl

b) 07-09 Camry
c) 07 ES350
d) 06-07 Avalon

Honestly, I don't think a V8 for a high mileage commute like that makes sense. If you are looking between the 07 ES350 and the 07 Avalon, I'd personally go Lexus every time--it's just much nicer looking. If you want fuel efficiency, go 4-cylinder Camry; I'd make the same argument against a V6 Camry as I would the Avalon.
Old 01-19-16, 05:47 PM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

got a camry xle for a daily now. excellent on gas for a v6. all i do is oil change for 15 bucks at toyota. its been great. works well in snow, handles well.smooth at 90mph highway cruising.
Old 01-19-16, 07:47 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
agree 100%. as the 'beater' is driven thousands of miles, the 'nice car' that would be FAR more comfortable to commute in, sits there doing nothing in garage. it's going to depreciate either way. the beater likely won't save any money between the cost of it, additional maintenance, insurance, taxes, registration, etc.

then there's having to drive that 10 year old car without the creature comforts day in and day out 80 miles... no thanks.
+1, but if you have to get something different I would probably go with the newest car that fits your budget rather than going with a 11 year-old LS, especially since you have a newer one at home. Also, as an earlier poster mentioned the LS will be the most expensive for repairs and insurance. My pick would most likely be the '07 ES for a comfortable commute and reliability, plus it would further ingratiate you with your Lexus dealer.
Old 01-19-16, 09:47 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Stick with your current car. It already has the best attributes, as you listed yourself and we all know. You can always get another car years from now if this one wears out. You are getting behind by doubling up.

Quick Reply: Thoughts for a commuter car