Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Buick Verano Break-in Report.....Mostly Good

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-12, 07:12 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Buick Verano Break-in Report.....Mostly Good

Well, I've had my 2012 Buick Verano for about a month and half now, and am coming up (with 900 miles) near the end of a traditional 1000-mile break-in...though the Owners' Manual calls for only 500 miles. One or two hairy events occurred on the road....an older Corolla, apparantly without ABS, locked up its front wheels on wet pavement and stopped just short of my left-front fender, and, later, a blind spot partially-hid a car in an adjacent lane that, fortunately, I saw at the last split-second while changing lanes.

In general, no major complaints. I am very satisfied with the car, especially its superb Q-U-I-E-T sound-insulation (the best I've ever seen on a compact car), premium Crystal-Red paint-job, instrumentation/ice-blue dashlights, 6-gear flexibility of the transaxle, adequate (though not really strong) power from the Ecotec 4, comfortable seats, rock-solid (by GM standards) interior hardware, German/Opel chassis engineering, sharp handling /quick steering response by Buick standards, XM-satellite radio, the ease and convienience of the tire-pressure sensors that show you all four actual pressures with just one touch of a button (not just an uneven wheel-rotation sensor like on some cars), On-Star security if needed, ease-of-parking from its fairly small size, reverse back-up beepers to help detect obstacles, comfortable leather-wrapped steering wheel, 5/100 and 4/50 warranties, and the compliments I get from my friends and colleagues...."This is a BUICK?....you're kidding".

On the minus side, it requires costly synthetic oil despite the lack of a turbo, the triangular-shaped outside rear-view mirrors are a little small for my tastes, the thick roof-pillars (which contribute to body-solidness) and small secondary front/rear windows create some partial-blind-spots, insurance-premiums went up somewhat over my old Outback (though not excessively), a thin extra spare key for my wallet zipper-compartment (which I like to carry for emergencies) can't be made because of the way the key and fob are designed, gas mileage isn't quite (yet) what I'd like to see, averaging around 20-21 in suburban driving, the heat/defrost systems are sometimes quirky to use in either the auto or manual-mode because of the way that the dual heat-***** adjust warm/cold air to only each half of the windshield at once...you have to turn them both up or down at the same time to heat or cool the entire windshield and avoid partial or uneven condensation-problems, especially since the cold A/C, when used with the defrost, cools the whole windshield at once. The ride, from the German-engineered suspension and 45-series tires, isn't quite as cushy and traditional Buick-like as I'd prefer, but fine on most surfaces unless you hit sharp bumps. The back seat is rather tight, but I don't carry people back there anyway...usually it is just a package-shelf. And the 6-speed transmission, which is generally butter-smooth (and I mean SMOOTH) most of the time, has an annoying fuel cut-off feature that doesn't allow you to smoothly coast in gear...you feel a slight (but very soft) jerk at lower speeds when you lift your foot off the gas as the fuel shuts off and the tranny downs a gear for compression-braking (Some other companies also use a similiar fuel-cutoff/downshift-feature, not just GM...my old Toyota Celica from the 90s had it). The ECU also programs some upshifts solidly, but sometimes, randomly in some gears on upshifts, allows a small amount of flare/slippage where the engine RPM bumps slightly during the shift....but still remains butter-smooth. Still a small issue, though, nothing really significant, and a TSB may be out on it. And the El Cheapo lack of body-side mouldings (even as a dealer-accessory) was, like on many new vehicles today, annoying. I had to go out, get aftermarket chrome-mouldings, measure/cut them, and stick them on myself...but it was worth it. Improved both the car's looks and door-ding protection. I simply won't own or drive a car without them.

But, am I glad I bought it? You bet....especially with its reasonable 25K price-tag. It strikes me, in its overall refinement, as a small German/American Lexus without a Lexus price.......and its noise level, while not quite as low under acceleration as an LS460, beats a number of Lexus products I have sampled. I'm glad I didn't wait for the turbo model coming next month...Buick says that it won't be a sport sedan per se like the Regal GS (the accent will still be on comfort), but then admits that the suspension will be a little stiffer, which I don't need or want; nor do I need the turbo's extra power. Reliability, of course, remains to be seen (the Verano, being new, doesn't have the solid reliabiliy record established with most Lexus products), but my car seemed well-built except for those tiny ECU quirks in the transaxle...and even they are very minor at worst.

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-16-12 at 08:09 PM.
Old 09-16-12, 08:41 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

good feedback. only 900mi. in 1.5mos is not exactly a lot of miles!

car sounds great. too small for me, but a tranguil car!
Old 09-16-12, 09:03 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice review update, glad you like the car! Guess you don't drive much too, it took me almost three month to reach the first 1000 miles on my new Sienna when I bought it.
Old 09-17-12, 07:14 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

900 huh? I have 9,000 on the Ram when I got back from the Gym this morning. I bought it on 4 August with 74 miles.
Old 09-17-12, 07:19 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
the ease and convienience of the tire-pressure sensors that show you all four actual pressures with just one touch of a button (not just an uneven wheel-rotation sensor like on some cars),
Since 2008, direct TPMS systems like you describe are mandatory. Before then, many manufacturers toyed with indirect systems that used the # of rotations comparison that was ABS sensor based... It is nice, however, that your Buick does show actual pressures, as many cars only have an idiot light...
Old 09-17-12, 08:13 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mitsuguy
Since 2008, direct TPMS systems like you describe are mandatory. Before then, many manufacturers toyed with indirect systems that used the # of rotations comparison that was ABS sensor based... It is nice, however, that your Buick does show actual pressures, as many cars only have an idiot light...
I don't think the direct-PSI systems are mandatory...but it does have to be some sort of low-pressure sensing device. Some vehicles, I think, still do it by wheel-rotation. Still, required or not, the direct-sensing system is nice to have....although I'm still not too old to stoop down with an old-fashioned tire-gauge if I have to.

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-17-12 at 08:36 AM.
Old 09-17-12, 08:16 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

I don't think the direct-PSI systems are mandatory...but it does have to be some sort of low-pressure sensing device. Some vehicles, I think, still do it by wheel-rotation. Still, required or not, the direct-sensing system is nice to have....although I'm still not too old to stoop down with an old-fashioned tire-gauge if I have to.
My 2010 ES350 doesn't indicate which tire is low. The light comes on and it's up to you to figure out which one. Maybe it's changed on the new gen, I would hope so.
Old 09-17-12, 08:17 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ArmyofOne
900 huh? I have 9,000 on the Ram when I got back from the Gym this morning. I bought it on 4 August with 74 miles.

Well, yes, we know that military people often have to drive long-distances all over the country....and we thank you for your service.

(And, BTW.......9000 miles on a full-size truck in a month and a half?......you must be using some gas). Hope at least the Army gives you something for it.
Old 09-17-12, 08:23 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
good feedback. only 900mi. in 1.5mos is not exactly a lot of miles!

car sounds great. too small for me, but a tranguil car!
I don't actually drive a whole lot of miles for myself. Much of what I drive (maybe 40-50%) is back and forth for car reviews, but I haven't done many reviews in the last couple of months......still waiting for some of the 2013s (and the review-requests) to hit the showrooms.

Too small for you? If you can fit into a Miata, you can fit into this car...but then, of course, it doesn't drive like a Miata, especially in the noise department.
Old 09-17-12, 08:23 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Look up the Tread Act... it was passed somewhere around 2002... any less than 1 ton vehicles meant for consumer consumption are required to have a system that directly reads tire pressure and informs the driver when any tire has lost more than 25% of its recommended inflation... disabling of this system by a shop for any reason is illegal...
Old 09-17-12, 08:29 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by blacksc400
Nice review update, glad you like the car!
Thanks. No doubt this is a honey of a small luxury-car for the money. But I'd like it more, though, if it had somewhat softer tires, a less-complex heat/defrost system, and, yes, not having to spend my own time and money doing what they should have done at the factory....body side mouldings.

Guess you don't drive much too, it took me almost three month to reach the first 1000 miles on my new Sienna when I bought it.
Do you have kids? (I don't)......and is that why you bought a minivan? Or just to have plenty of space to haul stuff with? With the demands of kids, it often doesn't take long to rack the miles up (school, church, groceries, sports, shopping, friends, etc...)

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-17-12 at 08:35 AM.
Old 09-17-12, 12:56 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks. No doubt this is a honey of a small luxury-car for the money. But I'd like it more, though, if it had somewhat softer tires, a less-complex heat/defrost system, and, yes, not having to spend my own time and money doing what they should have done at the factory....body side mouldings.

Do you have kids? (I don't)......and is that why you bought a minivan? Or just to have plenty of space to haul stuff with? With the demands of kids, it often doesn't take long to rack the miles up (school, church, groceries, sports, shopping, friends, etc...)
Yeah I have a one year old son, that's why I bought a Van before he was born, but after having it almost 2 yrs and put on 10K miles total, I realized I don't really need a Van yet, so traded it in for my 7. Hell, gotta enjoy driving before I have a second baby.

Last edited by blacksc400; 09-17-12 at 01:02 PM.
Old 09-17-12, 06:57 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

Well, yes, we know that military people often have to drive long-distances all over the country....and we thank you for your service.

(And, BTW.......9000 miles on a full-size truck in a month and a half?......you must be using some gas). Hope at least the Army gives you something for it.
I used about $1600 in gas, $1400 on the trip and roughly $200 since returning. No big deal. The trip is what ate the money, but lets be honest...$1400 in fuel with a total of 8,402 miles from door-to-door driven, is not that bad for a 6,500 lb monstrosity.