Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus LF-CC Paris Motor Show

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-12, 04:33 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Vh_Supra26

Yeah you're right, even the new GS is using the same drivetrain as the old model.
Feels like the new generation of drivetrains won't be out for a few years, everything got carry over drivetrain...........brand new ES, GS.........refreshed LS........and the up and coming 3IS.
Old 09-20-12, 04:42 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BNR34
Feels like the new generation of drivetrains won't be out for a few years, everything got carry over drivetrain...........brand new ES, GS.........refreshed LS........and the up and coming 3IS.

But isn't the average lifespan of Lexus' drivetrains like 10yrs or so?
Old 09-20-12, 04:44 PM
SB350
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ST430
twinturbo i4? Makes no sense since it be 1) costly 2) inefficient and 3) ineffective vs. a single. Could you have misinterpreted him to mean twin-scroll turbo or dual forced injection (turbo+sc) instead?
I am sure that guy just meant it is turbocharged, everyone automatically say "twin turbo" because it sounds cooler.

Or most likely it is twin-scroll turbo, as they all are now.

That ragtop thing make no sense either, as the current IS-C is a folding hardtop, no one ever goes back to a cloth top. Even mid engine spider got folding hardtop now a days, ragtop only make sense if there is an engine in the way.

I sure hope this turbocharging rumor is true, that means Lexus is following the Europeans foot step, turbocharging everything, so someday there will be a twin turbo V8 for the LS and SC or LF-LC.
I'll wait until there is official news from Lexus. All these rumors and speculation are making my head hurt. Hopefully they will tell us more on the 27th
I agree that some of this info doesn't make sense right now and was surprised hearing it myself.

I just wanted to share this information that heard directly from a legit source. It is exciting news hearing that Lexus will be moving towards forced induction engines most likely across their lineup in the near future.
Old 09-20-12, 04:46 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

That is because they haven't got a folding hardtop yet, none of them had a folding hardtop version before. No one goes back to a ragtop after having a folding hardtop, is like going back to the carburetor after having direct injection. Some day all convertible will be a folding hardtop, unless it is technically not possible due to not enough room. Even the top of the 991 Carrera convertible is a multip piece hard panel, it still got the cloth due to packaging reasons.
So why does Mazda offer the MX-5 with both cloth and folding hardtop? Why not do away with the cloth?
Old 09-20-12, 05:02 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by pbm317
So why does Mazda offer the MX-5 with both cloth and folding hardtop? Why not do away with the cloth?
Mainly cost and possibly weight.

The biggest selling point of the MX-5 is the light weight and it is an inexpensive car. Lots of those buyer don't want the extra weight and some of them don't want to pay for the extra cost. The folding hardtop version adds a significant amount to the MSRP. So they offer both so buyers have a choice.

As oppose to like the SC430, it is a very expensive car and the owners don't care about weight
Old 09-20-12, 05:22 PM
NewSpace
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

What else will we find out when the concept actually hits the stage in Paris on Sept 27th? I'm sure there will be plenty more pics of the interior and exterior. Perhaps more technical information on power train. Probably just speculation by mags and forums on release date...
Old 09-20-12, 05:28 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

But isn't the average lifespan of Lexus' drivetrains like 10yrs or so?
i dont think there is an rule of thumb here... I was told only few months ago that new IS300h is coming out and that it will be very good - it seems by what we know now, that it will be fantastic :-) (CT200h like consumption but RWD and "around 240 hp", which may or may not be true yet, but it does have D4S that Toyota hybrids dont have).

However they also told me while they will be downsizing in engines, just like what everyone else is doing, there is apo****ely no info currently in Lexus Europe on what exactly is coming or when, at all.

I think big problem here is the fact that Toyota sells a lot of small engines and a lot of big engines and that these in between are the ones that would find turbo applications the best, but they dont have many of those...

New Auris info just came out today, and they just improved all of their small engines by up to 15% from previous versions, which means significant new R&D as those engines were only 3 years old now, so I dont see how they would do that if they were about to unleash million turbo's.

Problem is that when they test Toyota's 1.0, 1.33 and 1.6l engines that they sell in Europe, vs competition that uses small turbo's, they are most efficient engines out there... If Toyota had sport models that needed 150-200hp and sold in larger quantities, then maybe they would develop turbo's sooner, but they dont.

Prius head engineer said that they are developing several different paths for next gen Prius, one of them is turbo engine.... so who knows.

But so far for instance Italian magazine tests 1.0l turbo 2 cylinder from Fiat and Yaris 1.33 beats it in real life performance and efficiency, despite worse official numbers.

Same goes for 1.6l Valvematic vs 120hp TSI.... Valvematic gets smaller consumption.
Old 09-20-12, 05:36 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 120 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by SB350
I just wanted to share this information that heard directly from a legit source. It is exciting news hearing that Lexus will be moving towards forced induction engines most likely across their lineup in the near future.
Agree and thanks for sharing!

Really looking forward to owning a Lexus (turbo) coupe!
Old 09-20-12, 08:06 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Really looking forward to owning a Lexus (turbo) coupe!
You could just get a TT MK4 Supra for the mean time
Old 09-21-12, 05:48 AM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
i doubt it will be 350hp... that wouldnt make sense imho for regular model.
I don't think 350hp is a lot. The current IS makes 30hp, and with a few mods easily stretched it's legs past 320hp.... which leads me to the fact that there is no way a Toyota/Lexus 3.5l v6 is only going to make 350hp unless severely restricted or downsized.

twinturbo i4? Makes no sense since it be 1) costly 2) inefficient and 3) ineffective vs. a single. Could you have misinterpreted him to mean twin-scroll turbo or dual forced injection (turbo+sc) instead?
I concur. No way it will be a twin turbo I4, but Leus, if this (Turbo I4) is true, thanks for listening, and please make the FR-S manual transmission available? ktnxbye.
Old 09-21-12, 07:09 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Default Speculating on the New Lexus LF-CC Hybrid Engine

Speculating on the New Lexus LF-CC Hybrid Engine

One of the more mysterious elements about the Lexus LF-CC is the 2.5L hybrid engine under the hood — the Paris press release reveals little:

[The new engine will be] appropriate to a sporting, D-segment coupe and low CO2 emissions, targeted below 100 g/km. This powertrain will achieve class-leading energy efficiency, with more than 2 hp produced per gram of CO2.

It adopts the Atkinson cycle and D-4S direct injection technology to optimise both the power and fuel-efficiency benefits of Lexus Hybrid Drive

Using these vague facts, My.IS administrator jruhi4 did some calculating (emphasis is mine):

The current port injection-only 2AR-FXE [engine from the ES 300h] is already producing the 200 total system horsepower…with D4-S injection boosting horsepower by just over 10% in the dual-injected 2GR-FSE 3.5-liter V6 versus its port injection-only 2GR-FE sibling, we suspect that total system horsepower for the new 2AR-FXE with D4S 2.5-liter 4-cylinder hybrid engine should be around 220-225 hp, a notion seconded by Lexus Enthusiast commentator MT.

When it was announced in June that a low-displacement hybrid powertrain for the GS would debut in Paris, I had assumed it would be a direct transplant of the 2.5L four-cylinder engine from the ES 300h — by adding D4S technology, this “new” hybrid engine gets a welcome boost that should push it past the 204-horsepower V6 engine in the current IS 250.

(While on the topic, I have to recommend the My.IS analysis of the LF-CC — very insightful.)
http://lexusenthusiast.com/
Old 09-21-12, 08:18 AM
Marklouis
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

^^^
I know the HP lovers are slightly dissapointed, but I believe this LF-CC design is focused more on balancing all the elements of the drivers expectations rather than the range of high performance. 200 - 230hp should be plenty for this vehicle category. I was sold on the interior/exterior alone.
Old 09-21-12, 08:38 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Marklouis
^^^
I know the HP lovers are slightly dissapointed, but I believe this LF-CC design is focused more on balancing all the elements of the drivers expectations rather than the range of high performance. 200 - 230hp should be plenty for this vehicle category. I was sold on the interior/exterior alone.
200+ hp would make it one of the faster cars in the class in Europe... most A4's and 3 series are sold with 120-140hp engines.

200-240hp hybrid? It would be sports car here :-).
Old 09-21-12, 08:40 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Marklouis
^^^
I can't agree here.
I know Lexus sold a gazillion 200 hp IS250's but this is a sport coupe. You can't make a sporty coupe and put in the lowest hp number in your entire fleet range of automobiles. That's just sacrilege and if that's the case, they might as well scrap the car. I'm the last person to call for 700 hp production cars....but a sporty coupe needs some decent punch. I'd be happy with 350-450 hp range.
Old 09-21-12, 08:45 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Ice350
I can't agree here.
I know Lexus sold a gazillion 200 hp IS250's but this is a sport coupe. You can't make a sporty coupe and put in the lowest hp number in your entire fleet range of automobiles. That's just sacrilege and if that's the case, they might as well scrap the car. I'm the last person to call for 700 hp production cars....but a sporty coupe needs some decent punch. I'd be happy with 350-450 hp range.
why would you even think that it wont get 350 engine?

p.s. Slowest BMW 3 series coupe goes 0-62 in 9.1s.

Quick Reply: Lexus LF-CC Paris Motor Show