Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus LF-CC Paris Motor Show

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-12, 03:49 PM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ndk83
Initally when the GS concept came out i HATED the lack of a headlight housing.

On this sketch however i have completely changed my mind. it looks simply badass. The car looks amazing.
I wish production cars kept the headlight especially if they were going to be LEDs anyway. It would make car look more exotic. So far only Alfa Romeo has headlights withou housing but that will change soon with 169 debut.
Old 09-17-12, 05:03 PM
BlueIS05
Pit Crew

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

What a beaut! Love everything about this - even the taillights. Pretty cool to have the rear brake light up in the antenna.
Old 09-17-12, 05:29 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My only concern is that the rear looks too close to the new Avalon.
Old 09-17-12, 05:52 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

interior door panels look a bit plain. The GS concept's interior door panel was built into production, so this worries me

I dont particularly like the rear and deck lid either
Old 09-17-12, 05:56 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueIS05
What a beaut! Love everything about this - even the taillights. Pretty cool to have the rear brake light up in the antenna.
i like it all... hopefully they dont change too much.
Old 09-17-12, 07:00 PM
84Cressida
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

haha speak for yourself. the 86 handles beautifully, and with an Lexus/IS version; it would obviously be alot more luxurious and very comfortable yet retaining that fantastic handling that the 86 is becoming famous for. itll give the 3series a proper run for its money. I really want this to happen.

tbh if Lexus is serious about building its "sporty" image this should be a no brainer. Anyhow the ES fills that luxury comfortable non-sporty segment . They should make the IS a proper drivers car.
The 86's platform is mostly a Subaru platform. You'd rather have Lexus use a Subaru chassis, which is used for a less expensive car, rather than a shorter version of one that was developed in house and has already proven itself to be an excellent one?
Old 09-17-12, 07:43 PM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

+1

The GS despite being larger and 300 pounds heavier than the current 3 series already outhandles the 3 series on objective instrumented testing ( skidpad and slalom ).

Imagine what a lightened shortened version of that chassis ( the future IS) will do to the 3 series. It will be a massacre.
Old 09-17-12, 09:30 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
My only concern is that the rear looks too close to the new Avalon.
Then you shouldn't be concerned at all

LF-CC has taillights inspired by the LF-LC. More tapered trunklid.
Old 09-17-12, 10:10 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My questin is when we will see the lcd touch control panels make into production!
Old 09-17-12, 11:51 PM
ndk83
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 84Cressida
The 86's platform is mostly a Subaru platform. You'd rather have Lexus use a Subaru chassis, which is used for a less expensive car, rather than a shorter version of one that was developed in house and has already proven itself to be an excellent one?
In theory yea id rather have the 86 platform. but Im realistic, i know its most likely gonna be a shortened GS chassis.

Originally Posted by natnut
+1

The GS despite being larger and 300 pounds heavier than the current 3 series already outhandles the 3 series on objective instrumented testing ( skidpad and slalom ).

Imagine what a lightened shortened version of that chassis ( the future IS) will do to the 3 series. It will be a massacre.
No it probably wont. the 3 series, unfortunately, will probably still handle the best in class regardless of what the skidpad numbers say. Handling is subjective and more to do with percieved feeling of how the car connects with, and is an extension of the driver.
the new GS is no where near as connected as say a 3 series. (but the size of the GS play a HUGE part here.) With that said, thats not to say I dont have high hopes for the IS, I mean with a new/improved chassis, rear steer, corrective dampening, newer engines (come on lexus!!!) there is no reason why it shouldnt be great car. I know they'll step up, i just want them to knock that ish out the park.

Last edited by ndk83; 09-17-12 at 11:58 PM.
Old 09-18-12, 12:46 AM
F1Driver
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

LF-CC stands for Lexus Future - Compact Coupe which equates to the next generation IS coupe???
Old 09-18-12, 01:24 AM
natnut
Pole Position

In theory yea id rather have the 86 platform. but Im realistic, i know its most likely gonna be a shortened GS chassis.

No it probably wont. the 3 series, unfortunately, will probably still handle the best in class regardless of what the skidpad numbers say. Handling is subjective and more to do with percieved feeling of how the car connects with, and is an extension of the driver.
the new GS is no where near as connected as say a 3 series.
(but the size of the GS play a HUGE part here.) With that said, thats not to say I dont have high hopes for the IS, I mean with a new/improved chassis, rear steer, corrective dampening, newer engines (come on lexus!!!) there is no reason why it shouldnt be great car. I know they'll step up, i just want them to knock that ish out the park.
The bolded part is wrong actually.

I'm not just magazine racing here : I tested a GS350 F-Sport back to back with a 335i Sport-line with M-adaptive dampers, Lowered Sport suspension, Sport-auto transmission and the GS steered better, cornered better, had better throttle response and generally felt more connected to the road compared to the F30 335i.

The GS surprisingly drives like a much smaller car and I felt more manouverable in it compared to the 335i. The test-drive route was the same too so I could compare corner for corner.

This is the test-drive route :

That's BMW's dirty little secret and its secret shame : not only does its current 5 series handle worse that the GS, the current 3 series also handles worse than the GS. Not surprising considering that the 3 series has grown in size and is now as large as a E39 5 series.

You can't even excuse the poorer slalom times to lesser power : the 335i has better hp/torque-weight ratio and better straightline acceleration compared to the GS yet put both on the slalom and the GS walks away from the 3er.

Last edited by natnut; 09-18-12 at 01:37 AM.
Old 09-18-12, 04:38 AM
ndk83
Pole Position

Originally Posted by natnut
The bolded part is wrong actually.

I'm not just magazine racing here : I tested a GS350 F-Sport back to back with a 335i Sport-line with M-adaptive dampers, Lowered Sport suspension, Sport-auto transmission and the GS steered better, cornered better, had better throttle response and generally felt more connected to the road compared to the F30 335i.

The GS surprisingly drives like a much smaller car and I felt more manouverable in it compared to the 335i. The test-drive route was the same too so I could compare corner for corner.

This is the test-drive route :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1MV3pnVRnY

That's BMW's dirty little secret and its secret shame : not only does its current 5 series handle worse that the GS, the current 3 series also handles worse than the GS. Not surprising considering that the 3 series has grown in size and is now as large as a E39 5 series.

You can't even excuse the poorer slalom times to lesser power : the 335i has better hp/torque-weight ratio and better straightline acceleration compared to the GS yet put both on the slalom and the GS walks away from the 3er.
I have driven the GS Fsport, and an E92 335 and from that experience id disagree with you. I havnt tried the latest iteration, nor the four door variant335i and i definately didnt not drive them back to back (let alone take em on to a slalom). Imo the 335 bests the GS in handling, however i do agree with you that the GS felt like a smaller car and was very impressed by its handling. Ive also read that the latest Fseries bmws (from the 3eries and 5 eries) arnt as good as the previous gens in terms of handling and drive. And regardless what the slalom times are id have to drive them myself to make up my opinion on which drives better. Not saying your wrong, cause what "drifves" better is subjective to a certain extent, but im still quite surprising to hear that the GS handles better than a 335i F30(and this is coming from a proper lexus enthusiast)

and on a side note that road looks pretty sweet

Last edited by ndk83; 09-18-12 at 04:47 AM.
Old 09-18-12, 05:41 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Another video of the LF-CC concept :

Shows much more detail of the car.
Old 09-18-12, 06:33 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by F1Driver
LF-CC stands for Lexus Future - Compact Coupe which equates to the next generation IS coupe???
Yes, its already been confirmed that the LF-CC will preview the next gen IS.

http://www.motortrend.com/future/con...#ixzz26l9wLbcS

Quick Reply: Lexus LF-CC Paris Motor Show