Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Cadillac ATS Test Drive

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-12, 10:16 PM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 121 Likes on 94 Posts
Default Cadillac ATS Test Drive

The new 2013 Cadillac ATS cars are starting to trickle into inventory and I though I would like to try one of the AWD versions.

Dealer experience. I went to Foley in Northbrook (classy place, greeted professionally, sales folks follow up) but their only car was sold before I could get behind the wheel. Next Grossinger Autoplex (called to schedule demo, asked if they has AWD, guy says it is FWD, I tell him he is a f in idiot, he then says the car is RWD and I schedule the visit, I get there and the car is AWD and they took 40 minutes to find the key, actually they gave up and finally got the spare key from out back, I let the floor manager know what a bunch of jack az they are).

The car looks OK.
I give GM points on all the cool LED lighting.
Build quality looks OK, look closely at stuff like the trunk lid when lifted you can see some second rate finishing near the lights for the rear license plate.
If you don't get fog lights, the bottom fascia has some usual GM cheapo looking plastic inserts.
The back seat has a nice 60/40 split plus a pass through boot but no head rest for the center occupant, getting in and out of the back is done with caution as the roof is low.
Leather quality is OK but not great. I sat in an XTS and that had way better leather, maybe the ATS premium will be better.
Looks OK under the hood, you can see some motor.
Trunk is OK , battery is in the trunk
Hood and gas filler door appear to be plastic, no switch to open gas filler door, just push on it and it pops.
Back seat space is tight and i am only 64 inches tall.
Car has remote start (Lexus is looking at this big time based on the Lexus Advisory Board Surveys I have been getting recently), sound good upon start up, kind of throaty, inside the car the dash is dead, you have to press the start button to bring it to life, then it is quite nice, I like Cue better than the iDrive crap Lexus and everyone else is pitching.
The interior has some nice stitched leather, it also has the usual cheap, hollow feeling plastic GM is known for. The switch gear on the doors (like for the mirrors) lacked smoothness in their operation, roof liner is typical GM tricot crap (makes you appreciatte how Lexus treats the touch points), interior door handle design lacks any sweep, exterior door handles are illuminated so points for effort there, opening and closing the ashtray cover in the back showed how little GM put into small details on this car.

On the road, the car drove smoothly, steering feel was nothing to write home about, brakes were fine, hit the throttle from 30 and response was vague at first, then the tranny downshifted and it was better, a couple of quick lane changes and you could feel the car did not stay real flat (too bad).

In general the car scores a B. Should be a good car to pick up used once the heavy Caddy depreciation hits.

I will try a premium with sport seats and magnetic ride when one comes in (at Foley, no need to not enjoy being a customer at Grossinger) to see if that is better.

Hopefully MMarshall will do one of his tip top reviews on the ATS

Other points, GM put Brembo front brakes on some models (I guess there is no need to spend on the rear set as long as you can include the branding by buying the front set).
GM is following the run flat no spare craze on this car.
Old 09-15-12, 11:48 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Assume this was a 2.0 turbo?
Old 09-16-12, 12:06 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Interesing impressions. From the sound of it, it doesn't appear GM went all out. In this crazy competitive segment, one must go all out to get the bragging rights.
I've taken a big interest in this car and will see one in person soon. Will report back here.
Old 09-16-12, 12:24 AM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pretty tough judge, the ATS gets a lot of rave from the mags, maybe the top model is better.
Old 09-16-12, 05:23 AM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

PBM, it was a 3.6 V6, my bad to not point that out, I went back to the ATS configurable and realized the luxury version comes in both the turbo 4 and the V6.

sC400, my pissed off about the US auto industry tends to come out. Like Fizzboy said, this is a crazy competitive segment, you have to bring it to win.

I am looking forward to an MMarshall review that will be more complete. I would love to see what any of the folks he say after seeing/driving the car.

A few more points.

In terms of content, kind of funny that you can't get cooled seats but you can get a heated steering wheel.

GM has made invoice pricing very close to list so finding the best discount will be more of an adventure.

I find pricing for this car confounding, it caps out around $55K, quite high in my mind for what the car is/brings.

On the dealership experience, how can GM allow such a range in quality? If they were serious about getting better in the luxury segment, they would get after shops like Grossinger. The sales guy said he ha been to an off site hands on intro to the car, but once I started asking questions he was stumped quickly and had to go grab a brochure. I blame GM and the dealership on a lack of training. This is Caddy's big deal car for the 2013 model year, at least be ready for the enthusiast segment that will walk in the door.

I asked the guy if an iPad comes with the car. I had read this on the Cadillac forums and the guy had no idea and asked where I heard this.

Last edited by S2000toIS350; 09-16-12 at 05:35 AM.
Old 09-16-12, 07:56 AM
LexFather

I find MSRP pricing to be ok high and adventurous. Hope it does well.

Can't believe the salesman thought it was fwd lol.

Old 09-16-12, 08:06 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by S2000toIS350
The new 2013 Cadillac ATS cars are starting to trickle into inventory and I though I would like to try one of the AWD versions.

Dealer experience. I went to Foley in Northbrook (classy place, greeted professionally, sales folks follow up) but their only car was sold before I could get behind the wheel. Next Grossinger Autoplex (called to schedule demo, asked if they has AWD, guy says it is FWD, I tell him he is a f in idiot, he then says the car is RWD and I schedule the visit, I get there and the car is AWD and they took 40 minutes to find the key, actually they gave up and finally got the spare key from out back, I let the floor manager know what a bunch of jack az they are).

The car looks OK.
I give GM points on all the cool LED lighting.
Build quality looks OK, look closely at stuff like the trunk lid when lifted you can see some second rate finishing near the lights for the rear license plate.
If you don't get fog lights, the bottom fascia has some usual GM cheapo looking plastic inserts.
The back seat has a nice 60/40 split plus a pass through boot but no head rest for the center occupant, getting in and out of the back is done with caution as the roof is low.
Leather quality is OK but not great. I sat in an XTS and that had way better leather, maybe the ATS premium will be better.
Looks OK under the hood, you can see some motor.
Trunk is OK , battery is in the trunk
Hood and gas filler door appear to be plastic, no switch to open gas filler door, just push on it and it pops.
Back seat space is tight and i am only 64 inches tall.
Car has remote start (Lexus is looking at this big time based on the Lexus Advisory Board Surveys I have been getting recently), sound good upon start up, kind of throaty, inside the car the dash is dead, you have to press the start button to bring it to life, then it is quite nice, I like Cue better than the iDrive crap Lexus and everyone else is pitching.
The interior has some nice stitched leather, it also has the usual cheap, hollow feeling plastic GM is known for. The switch gear on the doors (like for the mirrors) lacked smoothness in their operation, roof liner is typical GM tricot crap (makes you appreciatte how Lexus treats the touch points), interior door handle design lacks any sweep, exterior door handles are illuminated so points for effort there, opening and closing the ashtray cover in the back showed how little GM put into small details on this car.

On the road, the car drove smoothly, steering feel was nothing to write home about, brakes were fine, hit the throttle from 30 and response was vague at first, then the tranny downshifted and it was better, a couple of quick lane changes and you could feel the car did not stay real flat (too bad).

In general the car scores a B. Should be a good car to pick up used once the heavy Caddy depreciation hits.

I will try a premium with sport seats and magnetic ride when one comes in (at Foley, no need to not enjoy being a customer at Grossinger) to see if that is better.

Hopefully MMarshall will do one of his tip top reviews on the ATS

Other points, GM put Brembo front brakes on some models (I guess there is no need to spend on the rear set as long as you can include the branding by buying the front set).
GM is following the run flat no spare craze on this car.
"IF" you don't get the fog lights? Sorry--this is a "luxury" car, right? Now luxury cars aren't coming with fog lights? Ridiculous...
Old 09-16-12, 08:32 AM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

tex

There I a lot of a la carte going on with the ATS

I believe none of the packages come with a sunroof, that is $1K plus option.

I may be wrong but you may have to tick the $600 winter package to get the heated seats (also gets you a heated steering wheel)

The sales guy was real nice and tried hard. I asked about summer tires and he said it came with all seasons in the AWD 18 inch wheel package (ugh, I don't want run flats and worse yet all season run flats).
The guy who said the car was FWD was just the person who answered the phone and scheduled my test drive. The bit boss at the dealership (they don't have atypical greeter desk) said he would have a chat with that guy.
Old 09-16-12, 09:51 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
"IF" you don't get the fog lights? Sorry--this is a "luxury" car, right? Now luxury cars aren't coming with fog lights? Ridiculous...
um, you do know the u.s. GS f-sport and audi a6 don't have fogs, right?

s2000 - thanks for the mini-review - the jokers at the second dealer hopefully apologized for the keystone cops routine? what did the floor manager say to your 'feedback'?

the ATS is a solid effort from what i can tell. lexus does in general sweat the details very well, that's for sure.

some of the things you found lacking though are probably simply due to cost constraints - i expect all new models of cars to go up in price significantly in the next few years, due to our govt printing money it doesn't have.

oh and maybe it has heated wheel and seats and not cooled seats cuz it was made/designed in michigan?

Last edited by bitkahuna; 09-16-12 at 05:04 PM. Reason: check pm
Old 09-16-12, 11:00 AM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

bitkahuna,

The floor manager started out with, this is the hottest car in the market and since it arrived so many people have shown up to see it that they did not get a chance to put the key into their key control system

If you walked around Grossinger it becomes quickly apparent that sales reps have car keys on thei desks and whatever control system they have is not being adhered to.

The guy did apologize for wasting my time and I woul imagine the boob who said the car is FWD will get his ax kicked because stuff rolls down hill.

I am not overly surprised at the a la carte stuff.

I just wish GM took a more holistic look at the market before putting the car out.

Lots of Caddies go to FL, so the cooled seats would make sense.

Plus, I don't see the ATS grabbing the 3 series customer left and right. To me, they have their best shot at the IS and Infiniti G customers (cars that have been long into their cycles).
Old 09-16-12, 11:24 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Plus, I don't see the ATS grabbing the 3 series customer left and right. To me, they have their best shot at the IS and Infiniti G customers (cars that have been long into their cycles).
only temporarily. When the 14 IS hits, it will be a knock out design wise. The F-Sport makes the rest of the competition look bland 3 Series, C, A4 all included. It is so aggressive yet elegant. As I don't have any information about the powertrain I can only speculate as to how it will drive, but I'm certain it will take after its big brother GS
Old 09-16-12, 11:30 AM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Hoovey,

I totally agree the the new IS will be sweet.

All I am saying is that the current IS and G cars have been around and these should be the cars Caddy attacked to grab some early market share and volume with the ATS

The new 3 series is hitting the ground at the same time.

Both the Audi A4 and MB C class are pretty fresh and are doing well from what I see in Chicago and Boston
Old 09-16-12, 11:33 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
um, you do know the new GS f-sport package doesn't have fogs in the u.s., right?
No--I had no idea. I think that's silly--but at least it's that fogs are not available, rather than just a nickel and dime job.
Old 09-16-12, 11:38 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Hoovey,

I totally agree the the new IS will be sweet.

All I am saying is that the current IS and G cars have been around and these should be the cars Caddy attacked to grab some early market share and volume with the ATS

The new 3 series is hitting the ground at the same time.

Both the Audi A4 and MB C class are pretty fresh and are doing well from what I see in Chicago and Boston
I hear that. My point is any sales taken away will be easily recovered. This IS will hit the ground running.
Old 09-16-12, 01:02 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

looks like it does offer fogs? or maybe they're just accent lights. the website doesn't mention fogs.

http://www.caranddriver.com/features...ac-ats-feature

Last edited by bitkahuna; 09-16-12 at 01:08 PM.

Quick Reply: Cadillac ATS Test Drive