Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Elimination of the Spare Tire

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-12, 10:19 AM
MikeP
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Elimination of the Spare Tire

Just wondering how you guys feel about the current trend to substitute a "Mobility Kit" for a spare tire, even a mini spare. I realize manufacturers like BMW and other makers of higher priced vehicles install run-flat tires, which, in a way, is a valid excuse for no spare.

This came to mind when going with a buddy who is looking for an inexpensive hatchback or CUV that gets good fuel economy. I mentioned the Ford C-Max to him because it is small, looks good, has many standard features and gets 47/47 mpgs. In our region, none has been shipped to dealers yet, but at least on paper and with good reviews, he was very excited about the prospect of test driving one and ultimately buying one. He picked up a brochure and looking at the page with specs, he noticed there is a "Mobility Kit" in lieu of a spare. The kit includes an air compressor and can of tire sealer.

He asked for my thoughts. I suggested I check with Ford Customer Relations to ask if a spare, even a mini spare could be purchased and stored under the panel in the rear of the car. I was told "No, that's where the batteries are located." I suggested to the Ford CR rep that Ford has a major winner in the C-Max, but I don't think potential customers will be willing to chance getting a blowout or a situation where some debris in the road cuts the tire and there is no spare and the "Mobility Kit" cannot repair the tire.

Manufacturers seem to be going to great lengths to reduce weight for better EPA fuel economy numbers. Elimination of the spare tire seems to be a real safety hazard IMO.
Old 09-14-12, 10:28 AM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

run-flats are not a valid excuse IMO. The tires are super uncomfortable, I would rather have a spare donut in my trunk.

I understand carmakers desire to make their cars lighter, but I would rather have a little extra weight but have a spare donut. Besides, whenever the car will be track, im pretty sure all the spares will be removed from the car.
Old 09-14-12, 10:31 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I picked up a '13 Elantra sedan for my son recently and it has a 'mobility kit'.A friggen Elantra!I didn't feel comfortable with that so I bought a oem compact spare kit complete with tire mounted for $225 on Ebay.
Ridiculous how a economy car can come without a spare.
However,Canadian Elantra's have a spare tire.
I can see if the vehicle has run flats,maybe then a mobility kit is ok,maybe.
My ES had a full size spare and matching alloy wheel.Seems that's thing of the past.
Old 09-14-12, 10:49 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by edgeucated
I understand carmakers desire to make their cars lighter, but I would rather have a little extra weight but have a spare donut.
Yes, cars are in fact lighter without a traditonal spare tire/wheel (somewhat less-so with the temporary spares/donuts), and it (sometimes) adds to available trunk-space. But the true reason for eliminating them is obvious.......................

Same, BTW, with the loss of protective body-side mouldings and the substitution of hood prop-rods for hold-up springs/struts. Those of you who follow my auto reviews are no doubt familiar with my comments in them on those issues.

Like most new cars, my Verano didn't come from the factory with side-mouldings, either.....so I got aftermarket ones on a roll, carefully measured and cut them, and stuck them on myself with the peel-off/stick-on adhesive. I will not own a car without them...period.

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-14-12 at 10:54 AM.
Old 09-14-12, 12:47 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Yup, cost cutting, space saving and weight savings are three big reasons. One of our customers wanted a 2013 ES but it doesn't have a full size spare so they opted for the 2012 model
Old 09-14-12, 03:08 PM
adamls2
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I love having a full spare in my LS.
Old 09-14-12, 03:14 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
One of our customers wanted a 2013 ES but it doesn't have a full size spare so they opted for the 2012 model
The customer could of just bought a winter rim and new rubber and kept it in back.
Old 09-14-12, 03:18 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Yes, cars are in fact lighter without a traditonal spare tire/wheel (somewhat less-so with the temporary spares/donuts), and it (sometimes) adds to available trunk-space. But the true reason for eliminating them is obvious.......................

Same, BTW, with the loss of protective body-side mouldings and the substitution of hood prop-rods for hold-up springs/struts. Those of you who follow my auto reviews are no doubt familiar with my comments in them on those issues.

Like most new cars, my Verano didn't come from the factory with side-mouldings, either.....so I got aftermarket ones on a roll, carefully measured and cut them, and stuck them on myself with the peel-off/stick-on adhesive. I will not own a car without them...period.
Does the Verano have a hood prop?
Old 09-14-12, 04:19 PM
MikeP
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
The customer could of just bought a winter rim and new rubber and kept it in back.
But then you lose a lot of cargo capacity and where do you buy a jack that is guaranteed to work on that vehicle, unless you buy a hydraulic jack and lose the other half of the cargo space.
Old 09-14-12, 04:20 PM
Brian@Vossen
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just found out RX 400h has a full spare!!
Old 09-14-12, 04:42 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike@Vossen
Just found out RX 400h has a full spare!!
Yup, 2RX had a fullsize. 3RX does not :/
Old 09-14-12, 04:43 PM
Brian@Vossen
Former Sponsor

Yeah and the 3RX is bigger lol
Old 09-14-12, 05:04 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MikeP
But then you lose a lot of cargo capacity and where do you buy a jack that is guaranteed to work on that vehicle, unless you buy a hydraulic jack and lose the other half of the cargo space.
Oh come on. A lot of cargo space?
Old 09-14-12, 05:07 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MikeP
The original jack will work. That is a FACT!
Old 09-14-12, 05:19 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

I have run flats on my car, and there is not even a day goes by that I don't think about replacing it with regular tires since they ride very very bad! But since I can't find a spare tire solution with my car, I am just debating either get stuck with the stupid tires, or just take my chance and truely enjoy the better ride/handling a regular tire can provide.

Quick Reply: Elimination of the Spare Tire