Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Euro RX gets features not offered in the U.S

Old 09-13-12, 09:05 AM
IsraelRX
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Euro RX gets features not offered in the U.S

So I'm reading an Israeli (Israel gets the Euro spec of auto manufacturers) review of the RX450h, and notice that it has different trim, but more important it offers a panoramic sunroof, which to my knowledge isn't even an option in our market.
Any idea why Lexus America isn't offering this option, when its available in all of its German competition, and obviously they have it overseas?

Old 09-13-12, 09:17 AM
Trexus

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

I would assume safety issues for U.S. in a roll over accident?

Last edited by Trexus; 09-13-12 at 11:21 AM.
Old 09-13-12, 09:19 AM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Pretty good question. Would need to ask the GM of Lexus USA about that.

Lexus of a different region is their own entity so these entities can choose what the cars would have for their country.

No spec is the exact same for each country, so US, Canada, Euro, Japan, Israel, Abu Dhabi etc... are all different.

Last edited by Sango; 09-13-12 at 09:24 AM.
Old 09-13-12, 09:31 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

Because no one bought it on the previous gen RX in the U.S.?
Old 09-13-12, 09:54 AM
RX_330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by GFerg
Well the option wasn't very widely publicized.
Old 09-13-12, 10:23 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 102 Likes on 73 Posts

probably because of market positioning... in Europe, it is actually priced above GS and very expensive car.. so it has more features and probably slightly nicer appointments than US model.
Old 09-13-12, 10:40 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

For Lexus USA, they pay ToMoCo a royalty or premium for every option made available in the U.S. market.

That's why most options for Lexus cars come in "packages".

The more options the Lexus USA requests, the higher the royalty paid to ToMoCo.

So, pricing soars significantly, not because you pay for more options or bundles, but you also pay more for the royalties paid to ToMoCo.
Old 09-13-12, 11:11 AM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GFerg
And any one that came as used car on the lot were harder to sell than the regular sunroof. We test drove a few when we both the 2006 RX we had before, and we passed on the few that had the panoramic sunroof. It really doesn't do well for extreme heat and extreme cold weather we get in the different parts of North America.
Old 09-13-12, 11:25 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 102 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
For Lexus USA, they pay ToMoCo a royalty or premium for every option made available in the U.S. market.

That's why most options for Lexus cars come in "packages".

The more options the Lexus USA requests, the higher the royalty paid to ToMoCo.

So, pricing soars significantly, not because you pay for more options or bundles, but you also pay more for the royalties paid to ToMoCo.
what are you talking about?
Old 09-13-12, 12:00 PM
IsraelRX
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by My0gr81
And any one that came as used car on the lot were harder to sell than the regular sunroof. We test drove a few when we both the 2006 RX we had before, and we passed on the few that had the panoramic sunroof. It really doesn't do well for extreme heat and extreme cold weather we get in the different parts of North America.
I admit I never heard of it, and have not seen one.
Now everyone is offering the option: Audi (A5, A3, Q5, Q7), BMW (X1,3,5) M-B (M-class, G-class) Infiniti (JX), Kia (Optima, Sportage), Hyundai (Santa Fe), Mini, Toyota (Sienna LTD.), even Lexus in the ES... I really like the idea, and would opt for it (like I did in our Sienna).
I mean especially in luxury cars, its all about the options, and maybe in 2006 it was before its time, but now people are opting for it.
Old 09-13-12, 12:33 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The RX300 was offered in the US as late as the 2000 model, but only on the West Coast, and then it was not advertised. The roof was split into three panels that lifted at the rear and slid back over one another, exposing all but the 'wayback to sunshine and fresh air. It was an innovative product but it didn't work so well.

As I recall, there were two problems with the folding panels, first, some began to leak between the glass panes, and a proper solution was never found. A few members here also noted the roof squeaked as that big unsupported span tended to flex a bit. It's possible that these two problems were related.

Second, with the sunshade open and roof closed, the air conditioning system couldn't keep up with the heat load from all of that glass, particularly in the desert southwest. That was the primary reason for testing the limited release in Northern California where the cooler weather wouldn't be such a problem.

At the time Lexus was just being introduced in Washington and Oregon, and the company didn't offer the oversize sunroof where there was little factory support. I know Lexus had yet to open its Canadian plant, which would occur sometime later. I seem to remember some of our Canadian members owning an RX with the supersize sunroof, but I'm not sure. Maybe some of you guys can chime in on this, eh?
Old 09-13-12, 12:34 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
He is saying that Lexus has to pay the parent company, Toyota Motor Corporation in royalty fees for the features.

Last edited by Sango; 09-13-12 at 02:44 PM.
Old 09-13-12, 12:35 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Ooooh I'd love to see the panoramic sunroof Stateside!
Old 09-13-12, 01:13 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
Let me clarify.

Simply put, choice costs.

Toyota North America pays Toyota Corporation (in Japan) to bring Toyota cars in the U.S, Mexico, & Canada (no matter if the car is made in Japan or the US or otherwise). It's not just the cost of the car, but also the options, which need to be regulated throughout the market (for instance, within North America). Warranties cover such options, so the more options, the more the cost.

To get their allotment, they need to choose what options will be available. Toyota North America has been "bundling" options into special pre-sorted packages, like "Luxury" packages or "Sport" packages. By doing so, Toyota North America gets to make as many options available as possible, but also limiting the choices you have. You can't get a la carte options individually from the factory (such as upgraded stereo systems or radar cruise or parking sensors or leather seats), but you can add port-installed options (such as wheels or body kits or Bluetooth).

When cars are made in the factory, they make pre-determined cars that are requested by Toyota North America's market demands. Any variation to this will cost; it will make the production and organization of variable cars more complicated. By keeping the choice of options more simple, you lower the final cost of the vehicle.
Old 09-13-12, 02:43 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Let me clarify.

Simply put, choice costs.

Toyota North America pays Toyota Corporation (in Japan) to bring Toyota cars in the U.S, Mexico, & Canada (no matter if the car is made in Japan or the US or otherwise). It's not just the cost of the car, but also the options, which need to be regulated throughout the market (for instance, within North America). Warranties cover such options, so the more options, the more the cost.

To get their allotment, they need to choose what options will be available. Toyota North America has been "bundling" options into special pre-sorted packages, like "Luxury" packages or "Sport" packages. By doing so, Toyota North America gets to make as many options available as possible, but also limiting the choices you have. You can't get a la carte options individually from the factory (such as upgraded stereo systems or radar cruise or parking sensors or leather seats), but you can add port-installed options (such as wheels or body kits or Bluetooth).

When cars are made in the factory, they make pre-determined cars that are requested by Toyota North America's market demands. Any variation to this will cost; it will make the production and organization of variable cars more complicated. By keeping the choice of options more simple, you lower the final cost of the vehicle.
So that is not a royalty.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Euro RX gets features not offered in the U.S