Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

GM loses around 49K on every Volt it builds.

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-12, 08:15 PM
Beechkid
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dont belive a single part of that...as a former GMHE staffer I can tell you liars figure & figures Lie!
Old 09-13-12, 08:32 PM
Ty419
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, the Volt criticism is not due to some sort of disdain for American car companies, as suggested, but because it really is a bad design. It's not a new market or a new idea. It's a different take on a market already dominated by other products, and for which the other products already have the better platform to move into any territory that the Volt may have carved out. They are late to the party and trying to claim the Volt is revolutionary, which it just isn't. Not only that, but even if, for sake of argument, we say that it is technically worth it, what the heck were the interior designers thinking? That is the worst interior on the market, hands down. There is no excuse for that. It's not like this is the first car to have an interior or that GM had never designed one before. The interior of a Prius looks like a real interior, and GM should have taken clues from the most successful hybrid on the market and made it look less like a knockoff iPod with cheaper materials and more like a car. My driving habits make me the perfect candidate for a Volt, and it is priced really aggressively on the leases, but I can't even consider it to be a real option until they fix the inside of that thing.
Old 09-13-12, 08:53 PM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i hope the volt succeeds so the govt has a chance of getting back the money it used to bail out gm/chrysler, especially the (probably illegal) way they did it shafting bond/stock holders but giving the uaw billions.
At the same time, I feel like maybe American taxpayers and society in general would be better off if American taxpayers just took a bath on the losses and got out now. The direction of the government with respect to GM isn't exactly compelling. It's one thing to use taxpayer dollars to make a bad product, but it takes it to a whole new level when taxpayer dollars are then used to subsidize the product in an attempt to make it competitive, and then again when taxpayer dollars are used to boost sales figures.