Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: What would make you buy a 100% electric car?
Cheaper price
37.10%
Better range
54.84%
Faster 0-60 time than a GT-R
19.35%
100% renewable energy charging
19.35%
Nothing!! V8 or bust!!!
12.90%
Other
19.35%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

What would make you buy a 100% electric car?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-12, 02:23 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by 1sWt2GS
i dont know if this is truly the case but I've had a few family members own camry Hybrids within the last few years and have complained so much about problems mechanically and constantly servicing them
a hybrid is not an electric car. it's an enormously complex combination of internal combustion engine, electric motor(s), and clutches/gearboxes to shift power source back and forth between the two (or in tandem).

a hybrid is a bit like a camel - a horse designed by committee.
Old 09-09-12, 02:33 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As complex as hybrids are, the Prius - since its inception, has been one of the most trouble free cars on the market. Quite remarkable for new tech constantly in progress.
Old 09-09-12, 04:13 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by -J-P-L-
As complex as hybrids are, the Prius - since its inception, has been one of the most trouble free cars on the market. Quite remarkable for new tech constantly in progress.
yes. i'm speculating, but credit that to a likely amazingly intensive and exhaustive testing program by toyota.
Old 09-09-12, 05:28 PM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Oh I guess I misinterpreted the thread saying "electric car" for hybrid

Either way, the Prius is insanely expensive. Can't justify myself spending around 15k for such an ugly , slow, hideous car.
Old 09-09-12, 05:56 PM
WAHunt3
Rookie

Maybe a 3000 mile long extension cord?

Hunt
Old 09-09-12, 06:01 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1sWt2GS
Oh I guess I misinterpreted the thread saying "electric car" for hybrid

Either way, the Prius is insanely expensive. Can't justify myself spending around 15k for such an ugly , slow, hideous car.
Yeah, a bit off on a tangent with Prius talk....

Personally, I love the look of the Prius. Insanely expensive? If it was, it wouldn't be the 3rd best selling vehicle in Toyota's lineup. $15K? Wht are you referring to? A 5+ year old Prius? New ones start at $23K. Quite reasonable for what you get. 50MPG with $4/gal gas? I'd consider one.

And 120 mph is fast enough for me.
Old 09-10-12, 10:40 AM
VVRX
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

More than double the range of the current EV's and I'll consider one.
Old 09-10-12, 10:27 PM
LexFather

THe Volt at $199 a month is freaking tempting just for ****s and giggles. I am with most would like to see more range and surely they will get cheaper in the future.

Old 09-11-12, 07:06 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmm.........current vehicles seem to be doing quite okay given that the technologies used in fully-electric cars are still in its infancy.

Regardless, I'd say that improvements in technology as well as increase in economies of scale (lower costs, reduction of difficulty in manufacturing, etc.) will help to increase the EV population.
Old 09-11-12, 07:41 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 580 Likes on 399 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
With today's technology, 5 minutes is, of course, unrealistic, but 400-volt chargers are being developed that will do a full-recharge in about 20-30 minutes. (In fact, some of them may be ready now).
There is a company called Better Place in Israel that have stations that do full battery swaps in about the same time it takes to fill a tank of gas.

http://www.betterplace.com/

It's not perfect and it works best in smaller locations where building the infrastructure is reasonable, but it seems like the best option given the current technology

Old 09-11-12, 10:19 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Allen K
There is a company called Better Place in Israel that have stations that do full battery swaps in about the same time it takes to fill a tank of gas.

http://www.betterplace.com/

It's not perfect and it works best in smaller locations where building the infrastructure is reasonable, but it seems like the best option given the current technology

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VR3oLV4fdcE

I'd like to know whar the cost is to go in for a battery switch. Is it paid by the visit or is there a membership?

I have to imagine its more expensive than it's worth especially since the business has huge costs/overhead. Look at the machines needed! And these are suppose to be everywhere? Also, they are assuming the large expense of degrading batteries that they become responsible for.
Old 09-11-12, 11:39 AM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Nothing will make me buy an all electric car. Mitsubishi i? *snicker*
Old 09-11-12, 11:48 AM
Ty419
Lead Lap

I'm a good candidate for an EV due to my extremely short commute and minimal mileage otherwise, but I'm not sold on going full EV because I would like to be able to use the car for longer trips if need be. The Volt seemed like it might fit the bill due to its extended range ability and cheap lease rates. However, upon seeing the interior of the Volt, I just couldn't consider it to be a possibility anymore. That is by far the worst interior that I have ever seen on a car and there is no way that I could subject myself to that nonsense on a daily basis. Prius for me, please.
Old 09-11-12, 11:48 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 580 Likes on 399 Posts

Originally Posted by -J-P-L-
I'd like to know whar the cost is to go in for a battery switch. Is it paid by the visit or is there a membership?

I have to imagine its more expensive than it's worth especially since the business has huge costs/overhead. Look at the machines needed! And these are suppose to be everywhere? Also, they are assuming the large expense of degrading batteries that they become responsible for.
So the deal with Better Car is that it's like a cell phone plan. You get the car for ~$30k and select a charging package that fills your need. The terminals that are installed in your home are on a separate meter and you get a certain number of battery switches per pay period. Remember Israel is a small country and takes about an hour to drive from the east coast to the west coast. Going from north to south would require 1 battery swap to complete non stop. Plus, the price of gas there is close to the EU than to the US so they have a lot more wiggle room in terms of pricing.
Old 04-03-14, 09:48 AM
nuvola95
Driver School Candidate

Personally i would buy an electric car, because I think it is an excellent alternative to traditional machines, that pollute and have higher operating costs. Even companies today can resort to electric vehicles, because on the market are available means such as:golf cars, trucks, vans, etc. as electric truck alke.

Quick Reply: What would make you buy a 100% electric car?