Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Next Hyundai Genesis Sedan to get 395 hp Turbo V6, 10-speed auto, AWD

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-12, 12:32 PM
LexFather

Its hilarious that the Genesis is bland and drives quite boring and unsporty and the internet doesn't beat it to death for it. Its clearly a solid car but the same traits people bashed others for the Genesis gets a pass.

I wonder will Hyundai try to make it drive sportier or continue to aim for the traditional Buick crowd?

Old 09-05-12, 12:55 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Its hilarious that the Genesis is bland and drives quite boring and unsporty and the internet doesn't beat it to death for it. Its clearly a solid car but the same traits people bashed others for the Genesis gets a pass.
That is because it looks great and feels luxurious, while other don't

I wonder will Hyundai try to make it drive sportier or continue to aim for the traditional Buick crowd?
I am sure the next generation will be much sportier. This is their 1st attempt and is already one hell of a car. The Genesis 5.0 R is a great deal at $47k fully loaded. For the same price between a fully loaded 5.0L Genesis vs. a bare bone base model GS350, it is a tough choice.
Old 09-05-12, 03:45 PM
adamls2
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I really liked the Genesis a lot, until I went and drove one. Call me spoiled, but the interior was not what I expected at all. Although I must say, all the technology packed into it was pretty neat. I have yet to drive a 5.0 though. 4.6 was decent, but I still prefer the feel of my LS. Yes I know it's not the same league. I really liked sitting in the back of the Equus too.
Old 09-05-12, 04:49 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by adamls2
I really liked the Genesis a lot, until I went and drove one. Call me spoiled, but the interior was not what I expected at all. Although I must say, all the technology packed into it was pretty neat. I have yet to drive a 5.0 though. 4.6 was decent, but I still prefer the feel of my LS. Yes I know it's not the same league. I really liked sitting in the back of the Equus too.
I think of the Genesis sedan and Equus as like the Walmart, it got everything you need, but everything is cheap, nothing is fancy.

The Genesis sedan and Equus is pretty much a GS and LS, but with lower level of refinement and lower grade material sold at a lower price. The interior is lower grade, because of the cheaper price.

I drove a Genesis 5.0, the drivetrain feels absolutely awesome, I loved it. It feels pretty much like an IS-F, but smoother due to it being a softer tune then the IS-F. Lexus really should stick their 5.0 into the GS and call it a GS500, I am sure they can sell a decent amount. I don't know why they are so hung up on the whole hybrid thing, if the technologies are not there yet, make a GS500 in the mean time, god..........everything is in the part's bin already

The back of the Equus is ok, no where near as wonderful as the back of the LS-L or S-Class, but it is great for the price.

If some day I go broke, the Genesis 5.0 or Equus 5.0 would be my choice. It is better then any Acura or Infiniti offering.

Last edited by BNR34; 09-05-12 at 04:58 PM.
Old 09-05-12, 06:03 PM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The numbers are pretty awesome for this car. Some people prefer the lower refinement for the lower price. Choice is not a bad thing. However, this is the type of announcement which makes me look at Lexus and ask for more engine options. Bring back a V8 for the GS already. as mentioned above, a GS500 would be a great addition.

And whats with the poo-pooing over the 10 speed? More gears the better. Better power delivery, better efficiency, as long as they keep weight in check and the programming good, what's not to like? it sure is better than any CVT implemention out there right now. All the luxo makes are moving to more gears, too. So if hyundai can bring one out in a lower priced entry car, more power to them.
Old 09-05-12, 09:29 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by T0ked
The numbers are pretty awesome for this car. Some people prefer the lower refinement for the lower price. Choice is not a bad thing. However, this is the type of announcement which makes me look at Lexus and ask for more engine options. Bring back a V8 for the GS already. as mentioned above, a GS500 would be a great addition.

And whats with the poo-pooing over the 10 speed? More gears the better. Better power delivery, better efficiency, as long as they keep weight in check and the programming good, what's not to like? it sure is better than any CVT implemention out there right now. All the luxo makes are moving to more gears, too. So if hyundai can bring one out in a lower priced entry car, more power to them.
I think it is really great to see Hyundai do so well as of late. The Genesis sedan and coupe have no doubt done what they were intended to do and that was to change what consumers think of Hyundai. I no longer think of the old Hyundai when I see cars like the Elantra, Sonata, Velostar and Equus.
Old 09-05-12, 11:47 PM
VIPG35
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im liking hyundai more and more now.
Old 09-06-12, 07:10 AM
Lexuslvr91
Lead Lap

The R-spec looks rather nice with the 19s pictured in the OP. I agree the regular version is very bland especially when sitting next to the Azera.

Reportedly the new Genesis will be revealed later this year in concept form and has used the 5-series and A6 as benchmarks this time around. Hyundai's European division was in charge of the redesign(a very good thing since their Korean division doesn't care much for driving dynamics nor style).
Old 09-06-12, 07:43 AM
LexFather

Hyundai spammers...not paying vendor fees spamming forums

Btw we know who you are

Old 09-06-12, 11:14 AM
Lexuslvr91
Lead Lap

Would you mind pointing any out?
Old 09-06-12, 11:23 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexuslvr91
Would you mind pointing any out?
This is baiting..

Let's keep it classy gentlemen (and ladies). The topic is regarding the future of the Genesis sedan not Pro/Con Hyundai
Old 09-06-12, 11:55 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

The R-spec looks rather nice with the 19s pictured in the OP. I agree the regular version is very bland especially when sitting next to the Azera.

Reportedly the new Genesis will be revealed later this year in concept form and has used the 5-series and A6 as benchmarks this time around. Hyundai's European division was in charge of the redesign(a very good thing since their Korean division doesn't care much for driving dynamics nor style).
Makes sense that they will follow the lead of the 5 series and A6. The Germans have been and are the benchmark. I really like what Hyundai is doing.
Old 09-06-12, 12:42 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

I agree, the new Azera is a good looking car. Maybe some of its styling language will work its way into the Genesis.

I saw a new Azera from a distance on the street a couple of weeks ago (only one I've seen) and wondered what it was. It looked Sonata-like but different/better. I prefer the look of the Optima over Sonata, but IMO the Azera looks better than the Sonata.
Old 09-06-12, 12:50 PM
Lexuslvr91
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Makes sense that they will follow the lead of the 5 series and A6. The Germans have been and are the benchmark. I really like what Hyundai is doing.
Hyundai will still have a hard time with the GS though since it now offers the best driving dynamics in the class(according to Motortrend). I'm just glad they're going for a sports sedan now since they already have the Azera as the "plush" fullsize.
Old 09-06-12, 01:07 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by KA8
Finally a turbo V6. Imagine what it can do with boost controller, intercooler, dp, tp, tune...

Turbo I6 waves back at you. Been around since 2007. Oh and not many people use boost controllers anymore.

Last edited by Bean; 09-06-12 at 01:12 PM.

Quick Reply: Next Hyundai Genesis Sedan to get 395 hp Turbo V6, 10-speed auto, AWD