Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

August 2012 Auto Sales Thread

Old 09-05-12, 08:46 AM
LexFather

August 2012 (Acura and Buick numbers include 25k cars which is not a luxury vehicle but they are included anyway)

Lexus: 24,237
Mercedes: 20,557
Buick: 18,000
BMW: 16,835
Acura: 15,646
Cadillac: 14,704
Audi: 11,524
Infiniti: 11,155
Lincoln-8,141
Land Rover: 3,727
Porsche-3,026
Jaguar-1,029

Old 09-05-12, 09:31 AM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Also interesting is that the ES does not seem to have impacted GS sales.
Old 09-05-12, 10:03 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I think we can all reasonably speculate the BMW "fire sale" last month hurt 5 sales this month. Its still nice to see the GS sell 2nd in class and sales did rise compared to July.

That said speculation on the ES taking sales from everyone and not just the GS sounds reasonable. I've driven it, it no longer feels like a Camry based car at all. The interior is very well done with TONS of room in the rear. Surely the hybrid has is appealing with 40MPG average. Hard to argue with that figure. The sport mode helps tremendously.
But it is still only a single month. It could be a completely different story next month but we'll have to see a consistent trend to really know what's going on.

I am definitely going to have to check out the new ES. On the surface, it looks more appealing than even the GS to me.
Old 09-05-12, 10:31 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by speedflex
But it is still only a single month. It could be a completely different story next month but we'll have to see a consistent trend to really know what's going on.

I am definitely going to have to check out the new ES. On the surface, it looks more appealing than even the GS to me.
Right its one month. Never been done before from all my years of reviewing this data The first thing I said was this is an anomaly, never have I stated this is the norm.

Still its nice to see out of all these years.

My FWD days are over. The 40 MPG of the ESh is appealing though, very appealing. The GS is IMO the far superior car in every area outside of rear seat room and rear 3/4s looks.

Old 09-05-12, 11:24 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Right its one month. Never been done before from all my years of reviewing this data The first thing I said was this is an anomaly, never have I stated this is the norm.

My FWD days are over. The 40 MPG of the ESh is appealing though, very appealing. The GS is IMO the far superior car in every area outside of rear seat room and rear 3/4s looks.
I'll check them out side by side when I go. I also like the incorporation of the spindle on the ES better, but this is judging only from pictures so far.
Old 09-05-12, 11:26 AM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dat body work:

Old 09-05-12, 12:30 PM
LexFather

http://blogs.insideline.com/roadtest...cery-cart.html

. I drove the F Sport back to back with a BMW 5 Series and a Mercedes E-Class on the a wide-open, high-speed course on the old runways at El Toro, and the European cars felt like donkey carts compared to the Lexus.
The praise the GS keeps getting is amazing. It is the sportiest car in its class and looking at the 4GS forum a ton of ex BMW owners have jumped ship. Word is surely getting out of how good of a driving car it is.

Old 09-05-12, 03:36 PM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Glad to see Lexus back on top. Hope the momentum continues after the Golden Opportunity.

Curiously the CT is down by over 30% even as the gas prices stay high. Wonder what the cause was. The IS is the only other Lexus model that is down significantly, but we all know it's near the end of its cycle. All in all a great showing from Lexus.

Last edited by ydooby; 09-05-12 at 03:39 PM.
Old 09-06-12, 01:39 PM
grabber2
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by ydooby
Glad to see Lexus back on top. Hope the momentum continues after the Golden Opportunity.

Curiously the CT is down by over 30% even as the gas prices stay high. Wonder what the cause was. The IS is the only other Lexus model that is down significantly, but we all know it's near the end of its cycle. All in all a great showing from Lexus.
I would say its the ES-Hybrid!!!
Old 09-06-12, 02:03 PM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by grabber2
I would say its the ES-Hybrid!!!
That would indeed make a lot of sense. Only wish the sales report would break down the models by powertrains so we can get a clearer picture.
Old 09-06-12, 02:26 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 102 Likes on 73 Posts

ES Hybrid sold few hundreds, it is low availability for now...
Old 09-08-12, 06:05 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

http://blogs.insideline.com/roadtest...cery-cart.html

The praise the GS keeps getting is amazing. It is the sportiest car in its class and looking at the 4GS forum a ton of ex BMW owners have jumped ship. Word is surely getting out of how good of a driving car it is.
You know what's the scary part for BMW?

Look at this (from MotorTrend website):

F30 335i RWD 3586 lbs 300-hp/300-lb-ft with Adaptive M adjustable shocks and Sports-tuned suspension :
0-60 : 4.7s
figure eight-lap time : 25.7 sec
lateral acceleration :0.90 average g

GS350 F-Sport RWD 3834 lbs 306 hp/277 lb-ft with Rear Wheel Steering :
0-60 : 5.4s
figure eight-lap time : 25.4 sec
lateral acceleration :0.94 average g

The new 3 series is one class size smaller than the GS350 F-Sport, weighs 300lbs less, has superior power-to-weight ratio, has superior straight-line acceleration than the GS, yet pulls less average g and is slower on the handling circuit!

BMW not only can't compete with the Lexus GS in terms of driving dynamics with the 5 series in the mid-size class, it can't even compete handling-wise with its compact-sized offering, the new 3 series!

For a company that prides itself as maker of the Ultimate Driving Machine, for BOTH your mid-size and compact class sedans to be outhandled by a mid-size Lexus sedan, that is something that's very worrying.

Last edited by natnut; 09-12-12 at 12:16 AM.
Old 09-09-12, 04:56 PM
grabber2
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

The GS is definitely doing good.....I'm seeing alot of GS around and 2/3 are F-Sport
Old 09-09-12, 06:07 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,094 Likes on 1,358 Posts

not sure why but i've only seen two 4GS so far, all over florida.
Old 09-09-12, 07:55 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by speedflex

It is only one month and many dealers had pre-sold a lot of ES models weeks before the model arrived.

Its a very good design and a very appealing car.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: August 2012 Auto Sales Thread