Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Infiniti Phasing Out V8 Engines, Exec Says

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-12, 07:41 PM
LexFather

Red face Infiniti Phasing Out V8 Engines, Exec Says

Original article
http://www.carsales.com.au/news/2012...s-the-v8-32211

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...exec-says.html

A shame but with the M56 selling poorly everywhere and no other vehicle to share that engine it never was going to end well even with now sharing it with the Mitsubishi based model. I can't see the QX/Patrol dropping a V-8 though. Possibly maybe Nissan won't develop a new V-8 and instead use a Mercedes one as the next G is supposed to use the next C-class engine. Thing is the M35h is selling poorly as well so its not like people are clamoring for that model either. They offer the 5.0 (FX 50), and two 5.6 V-8 engines (M56/QX56) with not much volume to support them. (edit according to the article the M and QX share the same engine)

Their statements on performance cars are similiar to the IPL chief who said a real M/AMG/F car didn't make sense for them. Its ironic for a brand who's tagline is "inspired performance".

The article even states that the Germans continue to offer new V-8s and many are boosted now.

In regards to Lexus, the GS already doesn't offer a V-8 but the LS has to offer a V-8 as likely the LX. The IS F, we will see will it remain a V-8 or become a boosted 6 cylinder.

Infiniti kills the V8
Increasingly stringent fuel and emissions regulations mean that Japanese luxury brand Infiniti will soon kill the V8 engine from its lineup.

Currently, the 5.0-litre VK50VE V8 is available in the FX SUV and the 5.6-litre VK56VD V8 in the M large luxury sedan and newly-launched QX (Nissan Patrol) globally. But the next generations will axe V8s.. Instead, Infiniti will opt for the use of boosted six and four-cylinder engines to provide V8-style performance, be that via forced compression or hybridisation, while pure EV will be another option. A program of weight reduction and aerodynamic improvement will also play a role in maintaining power-to weight ratios and performance levels.

Australians will get a chance to sample Infiniti V8 power as the Nissan-owned brand launched last week in Australia with a V8 engine in its most expensive model, the $114,900 FX50 S Premium. But a V6 petrol-electric hybrid crowns the local M range in the form of the $99,900 M35h GT Premium.

The move away from V8s was confirmed by Infiniti global president Johan de Nysschen and his boss, Nissan executive vice president Andy Palmer, in Australia for the local launch of the Infiniti brand last week.

“I don’t think any car that is on Infiniti drawing boards from here onwards we should expect a V8 to be included in that plan,” Mr de Nysschen told motoring.com.au.

Added Palmer, who drives an FX50 himself: “I am afraid (US) CAFÉ regulations and emission regulations around the world make the development of V8s as part of a new family of engines almost impossible.”

However, Palmer insisted the death of the Infiniti V8 would not affect the brand’s performance credentials.

“V8 does not determine performance,” he declared. “F1 has gone V6 for example. You can get the performance out of a V6 or an I4 and you can get the fuel consumption out of it.’

While the likes of Audi, BMW and Mercedes-Benz have opted for turbocharged V8s or pared back V8 production, none as yet have stopped offering V8s in their lineups. But Mr de Nysschen predicts that the V8’s death is inevitable.

“Powertrains have to have a relatively long lifecycle, and we have to think about 15 years from today and the future unquestionably is going to see the downsizing of engines,” he said.

“There will be much focus on fuel consumption and emissions, and horsepower figures are going to come down. The 600 horsepower engines that you see today that are regrettably rare – those are the real top performance cars right now – will become extinct.”

Last edited by LexFather; 09-03-12 at 07:49 PM.

Old 09-03-12, 07:54 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Not surprising. Infiniti is a bargain brand, nobody is about to spend top bucks on it.
Old 09-03-12, 09:21 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Infiniti should have made a G56 IPL
Old 09-03-12, 11:51 PM
Trexus

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Infiniti should have made a G56 IPL
Agreed. Infiniti should have made a G56 to compete with the IS F which basically is an IS 500.
Old 09-04-12, 12:08 AM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep, at least put the rngine to some use.

G56 with 420+HP V8 sounds pretty good to me!
Old 09-04-12, 12:11 AM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love my FX50S, amazing engine but I will lake a twin turbo V6 in the next generation FX so no problem

This was only a matter of time, BMW and MB only sell a handful of V8 5series and Eclass models, gotto change with the times

Last edited by <VENOM>; 09-04-12 at 12:14 AM.
Old 09-04-12, 12:57 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Without a pappa SUV and premium sedan (A8, S-Class, LS, 7-series), there's really no need to spend resources on a V8. So I'm not surprised. But this is also another bit of evidence Infiniti does not run hand and hand with it's competition, as many auto reviewers try to make it be.

Also, as far as "this Infiniti and that Infiniti model is selling poorly," I used to say the same thing. But then I realized they don't sell much of anything these days, so lower numbers don't really spell the success or failure of models like they once did. Like Acura, they are now a niche brand or for those who go against the grain and want something unique. Nothing really wrong with that, but certainly not the Infiniti of the 2000's we once knew.
Old 09-04-12, 08:49 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Infiniti's but me to

the Emerg-E is cool but it needs to be brought to life

Old 09-04-12, 09:18 AM
stlgrym3
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

their VQ series 6 cylinder engines are already lagging behind other V6 competitors in MPG, i can't imagine how bad their V8s are, and i don't plan to find out either.
Old 09-04-12, 10:11 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Not surprising. Infiniti is a bargain brand, nobody is about to spend top bucks on it.
Although Infiniti doesn't have top-end models in the same price-range as high-end Lexus models such as the LS600H, it's still stretching it, IMO, to call it a bargain brand. Those who want "baragin" Infinitis will probably end up buying Nissans.

As for the V8 issue, not much of it, IMO, is really surprising. We've known for several years now that many traditional V8s would probably be phased-out over time, though some alternate-fuel or hybrid versions may still be available, like on the Lexus GS hybrid. But the unmistakable trend, like it or not, will be towards smaller-block engines and turbochargers. We're seeing that big-time now with the Ford Ecoboost engines, and will shortly see a similiar pattern at Chrysler as it introduces its line of smaller turbo fours and sixes (some Fiat-designed). Even traditional upper level American ponycars like the Mustang GT and Camaro SS will soon trade V8s for turbo or twin-turbo-sixes....and (horror of horrors) don't count it out for future-generation Corvetter either.Perhaps, in retrospect, Honda and Acura, in the long run, weren't so dumb in avoiding V8s....I certainly can understand their position.

History, BTW, does repeat itself, at least to some extent. I lived through the Great American Muscle-Car Age in the 1960s, and saw the end of it in the early 70s with safety/emissions/MPG-regs, and now Act II is about to open. Unlike back then, though, when high-performance engines were replaced by poorly-tuned, de-smogged powerplants that could hardly start and run at all without stalling, much less give any real performance, today, though, there is MUCH more hope for good replacements. Engineers have many options today that were not available(or not used) back then, with EFI, solid-state ignition, electronic engine-controls, turbocharging, direct-injection, electric-motors and hybrids, alternate-fuels....the list goes on and on.
Old 09-04-12, 10:20 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hayzz, are really looking into a future where the next BMW M5 will only get four-pot motor?

So who should we blame most? High fuel prices? Governments?

Or the nutjobs over at Greenpeace?
Old 09-04-12, 10:39 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Blackraven
Hayzz, are really looking into a future where the next BMW M5 will only get four-pot motor?

Well, I am not what you would consider a Greenie or an extreme tree-hugger by any means, but sooner or later, we are going to have to accept the fact that the world's crude-oil sources are limited, and we simply cannot keep depending on them forever.....whether domestic-crude or imported.

I still vividly remember the horrendous gas-lines, limited gas-station hours, and skyrocketing prices of the 1973-74 oil embargo and the later 1979 shortages....that was a nightmare, to say the least. If we don't (eventually) find other sources for auto-fuels and engines, even those terrible memories are going to seem like a picnic compared to what could be in the future.
Old 09-04-12, 10:43 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Blackraven

Considering the M5 gets 20-30% better gas mileage than the last model while having 50hp more, I think all is well with the world.

Notice too how that engine is spread out with the X6, X5 M as well, no longer being a stand alone engine. This helps with spreading costs around.

We might never see a sedan like the E60 M5 again..which makes it that more appealing.

Old 09-04-12, 10:55 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
We might never see a sedan like the E60 M5 again..which makes it that more appealing.
Hard to say. Me and some of my colleagues initially felt the same way in 1971, when engines first started getting de-tuned, and things indeed got worse and worse for years. But, at the same time, great new inventions and engineering came along, which eventually made possible Round II of the Muscle-car era, which we are still in today. The future, today, shows both bleakness and hope. But the main difference in today-vs.-back then is that, today, the world's remaining oil-supplies are much more critical, and, eventually, gas is probably going to have to give way to other fuels. That's not something that the M5's 20-30% mileage improvement is going to forestall very long.

And, hey, to your credit, you certainly have done your share to help things out....by buying a hybrid GS, which, in general, uses less fuel than a traditional GS.

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-04-12 at 12:13 PM.
Old 09-04-12, 11:18 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Considering the M5 gets 20-30% better gas mileage than the last model while having 50hp more, I think all is well with the world.

Notice too how that engine is spread out with the X6, X5 M as well, no longer being a stand alone engine. This helps with spreading costs around.

You do have a valid point there. With regards to the M5, the new 4.4 liter twin-turbo V8 is superb without a doubt.

Still, you have to admit that BMW M enthusiasts and most performance car enthusiasts in general would still argue that the S85 engine (with its 10 cylinders) has more punch and in general, all else being equal, naturally-aspirated engines produce better engine sounds in most cases.

That and the V10 NA engine of the previous M5 has a higher redline so it means you push it further and will accelerate faster for those want to gun it past 260 km/h (140ish in miles per hour). Push it past 7000 rpm and it will still go.

In fact the S85 engine had a redline of 8250 rpm. The newer S63B44TU redlines at a lower 7200 rpm.

In fairness to the newer engine though, the twin turbo V8 has a wider powerband and greater rev range. Max torque is obtainable as early as 1500 rpm and can still be felt even beyond 5500 rpm.

Regardless, with news like this going around:
-Nissan/Infiniti abandoning V8 engine development
-Mclaren stating that V12 engines are a thing of the past and will only use V8 engines (at most).
-Rumors & speculation on whether Lexus will go for an NA V8 or a twin-turbo V6 for the next ISF
-Uncertainty on whether the 4th gen Lexus GS will get a V8 (in any form or iteration)
-Formula 1 cars to use turbocharged four cylinder engines by 2014

I don't know but somehow, I feel that the excitement is being taken away from sport/performance-oriented automobiles. The future *might* that if you want 8 cylinders or more, you have to buy brands like Bentley, Porsche, Ferrari, Aston Martin or Bugatti.

Hmm you know what:
Maybe we should go back to bicycles and horse-drawn carriages then. After all, it's the destination that only matters. How one gets there would become absolutely irrelevant.

Quick Reply: Infiniti Phasing Out V8 Engines, Exec Says