Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Tada-san & Sasaki-san teases new Toyota Supra and sub 86 entry-level model

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-12, 12:59 PM
LexFather

Great news!! I wonder will Subie stay involved?

Old 10-09-12, 01:03 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

so one Yaris FWD based and another RWD Supra?
Old 10-09-12, 01:22 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ydooby
Of course a hybrid race car can be light. It is totally stripped to the bone with most body panels replaced with carbon fiber, and with a much smaller battery to provide enough energy only for short bursts of accelerations, expecting to get recharged braking into the next corner, which is not what a road car needs at all.

This thread is about an affordable road-going sports car (in the spirit of the MR2 and the Supra), not an exotic or a purpose-built race car costing well north of $100k. An affordable sports car should not be a hybrid, and the GRMN Sports Hybrid concept's sheer weight is proof of that.
You don't know what you're talking about. They race their hybrid systems to gain knowledge on using them in practical street applications. Do a little research before you come out with false statements. Toyota uses supercapacitors in their LMP1 TS030, not batteries. So there's more than one way to be hybrid. I never implied their small sportscar would be hybrid anyway, so your reply isn't even needed. Oh btw, this thread is titled Supra AND sub 86 model. Theres always a possibility Toyota will be making an affordable hybrid sportscar. In fact I'd call it a probability.
Old 10-09-12, 01:37 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Just rumors but I been reading the sub 86/FR-S car will be a two seater powered by a 1.3 liter, and will be built on a shorten Toyobaru chassis.
Old 10-09-12, 02:37 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Vh_Supra26
Just rumors but I been reading the sub 86/FR-S car will be a two seater powered by a 1.3 liter, and will be built on a shorten Toyobaru chassis.
i doubt it... it will most likely be FWD. FR-S is already small, they cant shorten it a lot more and lose as much weight as they need to in order to make 1.3l perform well.

So it will most likely be FWD, and smaller/lighter.

Maybe next Scion tC actually? aka new Celica?
Old 10-09-12, 04:06 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

^They have this little thing. Its been called the "baby 86".

Old 10-09-12, 04:55 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

those wide-body MR-S's are not "real" cars :-)

and no way it would cost less... only way for it to cost less is
1. Based on high production vehicle
2. Reduced weight so it could be powered by smaller/cheaper engine

To me that means FWD based on Yaris with modified engine and suspension. Taking rear bench out of FR-S will not make it 2200lbs or cheaper to make... but making it based on Yaris just like this is losely based on Impreza, will.
Old 10-09-12, 05:42 PM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
i doubt it... it will most likely be FWD. FR-S is already small, they cant shorten it a lot more and lose as much weight as they need to in order to make 1.3l perform well.

So it will most likely be FWD, and smaller/lighter.

Maybe next Scion tC actually? aka new Celica?
Not necessarily. They can make a true MX-5 competitor, for example, which is smaller, lighter and cheaper than the FR-S. And then they can reduce cost and weight vs. the MX-5 further by not making it a convertible (a targa perhaps). That is, something like the Sport 800.
Old 10-09-12, 06:24 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Not necessarily. They can make a true MX-5 competitor, for example, which is smaller, lighter and cheaper than the FR-S. And then they can reduce cost and weight vs. the MX-5 further by not making it a convertible (a targa perhaps). That is, something like the Sport 800.
why would MR-S be cheaper than FRS? It wasnt. It wont.

Just cutting 8" of steel wont make it significantly cheaper.
Old 10-09-12, 06:40 PM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by spwolf
why would MR-S be cheaper than FRS? It wasnt. It wont.

Just cutting 8" of steel wont make it significantly cheaper.
Huh? When did I mention the MR2/MR-S? I said an MX-5 competitor. The MX-5 is currently cheaper than the FR-S because of its less powerful engine and smaller size. Toyota can easily make one by shrinking/shortening the FR-S package and turning it into a 2-seater targa-top (a RWD Del Sol basically). Throw in the 1.6L boxer and they're done.
Old 10-09-12, 07:03 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Huh? When did I mention the MR2/MR-S? I said an MX-5 competitor. The MX-5 is currently cheaper than the FR-S because of its less powerful engine and smaller size. Toyota can easily make one by shrinking/shortening the FR-S package and turning it into a 2-seater targa-top (a RWD Del Sol basically). Throw in the 1.6L boxer and they're done.
but again, making it few inches shorter wont cut the costs down or weight significantly enough...

it needs to be another platform completely.
Old 10-09-12, 07:41 PM
LexFather

What the **** does the MX-5 have to do with anything? The MX-5 is priced like the FR-S. The new car is clearly going to be cheaper than both and likely not sharing a platform. The engineers for the FRS has openly stated they hate platform sharing across different vehicles.

Old 10-09-12, 08:29 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

After reading the article for a second time he uses words like "mass-market and cheaper" when talking about the sub 86 car. Which could mean cheap sporty front wheel drive car AKA Celica replacement. Would make sense for a new Celica to be develop side by side let say a 3rd gen Scion tC. But then again who knows, guess we just have to wait and see.
Old 10-09-12, 09:02 PM
LexFather

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Vh_Supra26
After reading the article for a second time he uses words like "mass-market and cheaper" when talking about the sub 86 car. Which could mean cheap sporty front wheel drive car AKA Celica replacement. Would make sense for a new Celica to be develop side by side let say a 3rd gen Scion tC. But then again who knows, guess we just have to wait and see.
The yaris has gotten good reviews for driving sportier so we shall see. Why not a fun 2 door corolla? New paseo

Old 10-09-12, 11:57 PM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
What the **** does the MX-5 have to do with anything? The MX-5 is priced like the FR-S. The new car is clearly going to be cheaper than both and likely not sharing a platform. The engineers for the FRS has openly stated they hate platform sharing across different vehicles.
The topic here is a sub-86 car isn't it? The MX-5 is smaller, lighter and $1,500 cheaper than the FR-S, seating only 2. Now imagine the MX-5 dropping the costly convertible mechanism, bam! You've got a possible $21k sub-86 car right there. And I really doubt the engineers can get away with doing a bespoke chassis for such an affordable car. Even the IS needs to be derived from the GS.

Quick Reply: Tada-san & Sasaki-san teases new Toyota Supra and sub 86 entry-level model