Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

if gas cost $10/gallon right now, how would you commute? what would you drive?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-12, 08:53 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Silver10
At over $4 a gal now im pissed and only work 5 miles from home, I try to drive as little as possible now cause of this and at $10 I'd really never leave the house except for my out of state visits about every 2-3 months.
I really wish more people were like you. As it is the roads are overcrowded and your mpgs plummet due to traffic.
Old 08-25-12, 11:28 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
big problem is not only cost of gas, but those V8 and V12 cars would drop in value like a stone.
don't they already, expensive to own at any stage of ownership
Old 08-26-12, 06:41 AM
ecr527
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would consider one of these options:

1) I would ride my bike to the train station and hop on the train.
2) Maybe get a car that gets better mileage.
3) Ask my employer if I could work 4 10 hour days a week, instead of doing 5 8 hour days.
Old 08-26-12, 10:34 AM
ecstaticSC
Racer

Not much would change for me, since I don't drive much. I have an economy car for school/work and I drive my SC300 on weekends. I would be interested to see how much value v8, v10 cars would drop if the gas prices rose to $10 a gallon.

Last edited by ecstaticSC; 08-26-12 at 10:50 AM.
Old 08-26-12, 10:43 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Watch the prices of everything rise up like crazy, including your heating bill. Its bound to happen, life is getting more and more expensive.
Old 08-26-12, 12:17 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

While my car is a rwd V8 sedan it is paid for, relatively reliable, and does not have a lot of miles considering its age so there is no way I would buy something new or more fuel efficient to try to save money unless I could do an even trade. Buying a brand new or slightly used hybrid or electric most likely at a huge premium would make no sense financially and it would cost you much more to do that then any amount of fuel savings.

I would do what I do now, car pool, drive less, try to do as many things into one trip, look for deals and be responsible with what I buy and spend. To deal with the added cost I may cut some things out that I don't need like cable/satelite radio/gym membership/golf/going out to eat as much, etc and would probably have to get a extra job. It will not just be gas that goes up but the price of everything from food, goods, services, etc. High gas prices would quickly destroy the middle class and our economy, hybrids and electrics would not make any difference as everything would go up even the price of electricity to charge those electrics.
Old 08-26-12, 04:49 PM
lexmenow
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bagwell
just curious what you guys would do if gas was $10+/gallon TODAY.

How would your driving habits change?

What would you drive?

as far as commuting to work -- for me...I'm lucky because I bike/bus to work that's 47 miles each way from to/from my house [of course if gas was that high I probably wouldn't have a job to go to (I work for an airline)].
There would be riots on the streets. THERE WILL BE BLOOD.
Old 08-27-12, 09:30 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by dknn
It can go to 20 dollars a gallon and it wouldn't make a difference to me. My daily commute is about 36 miles and I drive a Volt. I do not use any gas. I can charge it at work. My cost is .50-.60/day.
NICE!!!!!! but be careful --- I think the gas in your tank will go bad after about 5-6 months (just add stabilizer if you never use it).
Old 08-27-12, 10:55 AM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Old 08-27-12, 11:10 AM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

^^^^ rofl!
Old 08-27-12, 12:26 PM
seanlee
Driver

Originally Posted by mmarshall
If? It probably is close to $10 now (in American-dollar-equivalent) in some European and Asian countries. And that's one of the primary reasons why they have small 1.0-1.2L Euro-diesels over there that get 75-80 MPG on the highway, like the VW Polo and Lupo. It's a shame we can't get true ultra-eco cars like that here in the U.S......though, admittedly, some small Euro-models like that aren't built to U.S. safety/crash-standards. We do get a couple of ultra-high-MPG hybrids here like the Chevy Volt and Toyota Prius Plug-In, but, IMO, even considering the tax-credits and the expensive lithium-on battery-packs, they are overpriced. And the Volt, IMO, in addition, has significant design and ergonomic problems.
while i greatly appreciate the high level of safety/crash standard, and many lives it managed to save. i, however, think the DMV should completely change its current driving test standard. most of drivers on the road today would not pass European driving test and they should be removed from the road. i would vote for a 5000 dollar driving test and move incompetent drivers away from public road.
Old 08-27-12, 12:31 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by seanlee
while i greatly appreciate the high level of safety/crash standard, and many lives it managed to save. i, however, think the DMV should completely change its current driving test standard. most of drivers on the road today would not pass European driving test and they should be removed from the road. i would vote for a 5000 dollar driving test and move incompetent drivers away from public road.
I don't know about $5000 test but I agree they should give an ANNUAL driving test or at least every 2 years...my Dad is pretty much blind but still has a driver's license (we took the keys away -from his totaled car- after he pulled in front of an Excursion).
Old 08-27-12, 12:41 PM
NoLFA4U
Driver

My Titan. 11mpg FTW!!!!
Old 08-27-12, 06:20 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

rumblings that Isaac hitting the gulf coast will raise gas prices further... good!
Old 08-27-12, 07:15 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by seanlee
I don't think that tougher driving-tests are necessarily the solution (and I say that as someone who was a licensed pilot and having gone through flight-training, which is much tougher than driver-training and also requires medical-clearance and annual or bi-annual flight-reviews). With driving, much of it is simple common-sense, not something that you learn in textbooks or even always behind the wheel itself with miles. I think the best way to improve road-safety, in both the short and long-runs, is to simply have people spend a couple of evenings in the Emergency or Intensive-Care ward of a hospital observing, first-hand, the results of carelessness, excessive speed, alcohol/drugs, driver-impairment, overconfidence, and driver-inattention from electronic-devices. Yes, a few hours of this should open up a lot of eyes real quick.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-27-12 at 07:19 PM.

Quick Reply: if gas cost $10/gallon right now, how would you commute? what would you drive?