Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

if gas cost $10/gallon right now, how would you commute? what would you drive?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-12, 07:17 PM
MikeFoxx
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I'd take stress leave for 3 months lol ... Joking... Kinda
Old 08-27-12, 08:38 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I don't think that tougher driving-tests are necessarily the solution (and I say that as someone who was a licensed pilot and having gone through flight-training, which is much tougher than driver-training and also requires medical-clearance and annual or bi-annual flight-reviews). With driving, much of it is simple common-sense, not something that you learn in textbooks or even always behind the wheel itself with miles. I think the best way to improve road-safety, in both the short and long-runs, is to simply have people spend a couple of evenings in the Emergency or Intensive-Care ward of a hospital observing, first-hand, the results of carelessness, excessive speed, alcohol/drugs, driver-impairment, overconfidence, and driver-inattention from electronic-devices. Yes, a few hours of this should open up a lot of eyes real quick.
while frightening new drivers isn't a bad idea, more experience and a more rigorous test would be a great idea. i also favor people getting retesting when they begin collecting social security or medicare. a second time in one's life isn't much to ask, and some people pick up truly terrible driving habits (or always had them) from in the 40-50 years in between!
Old 08-28-12, 04:59 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
while frightening new drivers isn't a bad idea, more experience and a more rigorous test would be a great idea. i also favor people getting retesting when they begin collecting social security or medicare. a second time in one's life isn't much to ask, and some people pick up truly terrible driving habits (or always had them) from in the 40-50 years in between!
yep, some people have no f'ing clue how to drive --- like they weren't taught or forgot or whatever
.... soccer moms tailgating me at 50mph in a 6500 lb SUV.....WTF??? where to stop at an intersection?....can't tell you how many times I've encountered drivers that stop in the middle of the crosswalk......
Attached Thumbnails if gas cost /gallon right now, how would you commute? what would you drive?-intersection.jpg  

Last edited by bagwell; 08-28-12 at 05:12 AM.
Old 08-28-12, 12:25 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd be OK with my current Yaris sedan which I get 45 mpg highway, 37 combined.

However, I'd likely get a Prius if I could.
Old 08-28-12, 02:53 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I would still roll the LS but the next car would be a V6
Old 08-29-12, 08:21 AM
Individual
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would continue driving my IS to work, but drive my fiance's Yaris when we go out together.
Old 08-29-12, 08:08 PM
dc893
Lead Lap

Default $10 gas

I've paid $8 a gallon in japan before. kinda sucks drivin a celsior there sometimes.
Old 08-30-12, 10:55 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by dc893
I've paid $8 a gallon in japan before. kinda sucks drivin a celsior there sometimes.
thats boss

Old 08-31-12, 10:50 AM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd get a Leaf or some equivalent to drive to the train station. It's a little over a mile away. So no gas at all for me then. I'd still keep my cars for weekend use. My gf however drives 20 miles each way... maybe she'd get the leaf and I would continue to take my truck. Would have to get a locking gas cap though...
Old 09-01-12, 11:18 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

At $10 per gallon I couldn't afford to drive. It would cost me $600+ per month in gas alone. That is a lot of money.
Old 09-02-12, 08:18 AM
Dlewbell
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rld14
Yup! A friend of mine wanted to lease a Prius to save on gas. He does 3 year leases at 12k a year...

Prius, even with better MPG, would have still cost more to drive.
I have to ask, why lease a prius for 36k over 3 years? Is there a model that costs enough that it's cheaper to lease at that price than to outright buy?

On topic,
I wouldn't change anything assuming gas was all that went up. Of course, as others have mentioned, everything else would go up, & I'd be screwed. I don't think I could make good enough use of public transportation to make it useful though. I'd just have to suck it up & pay it.
Old 09-02-12, 01:32 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Buying/leasing a Prius to drive 12K a year is like buying a Lamborghini to be a daily commuter. Doesn't make any sense.

Old 09-02-12, 01:53 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by T0ked
I'd get a Leaf or some equivalent to drive to the train station. It's a little over a mile away. So no gas at all for me then. I'd still keep my cars for weekend use. My gf however drives 20 miles each way... maybe she'd get the leaf and I would continue to take my truck. Would have to get a locking gas cap though...
and free night charges.....a local electric company in Houston (TXU) is offering FREE electricity from 10p-6a for up to 2 years.
http://www.txu.com/Home/residential/...WT.mc_ev=click
Old 09-03-12, 12:58 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 409 Likes on 337 Posts

I would go broke if gas were that high. I'd walk everywhere and leave all my cars at home.
Old 09-03-12, 03:42 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

just went up to $7.5 here, and thats with USD being very high right now making it a lot less...

a lot of freaking money

Quick Reply: if gas cost $10/gallon right now, how would you commute? what would you drive?