Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Opinions on the Subaru WRX STi wanted

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-12, 01:15 AM
cal_alum98
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinions on the Subaru WRX STi wanted

What are your guys' thoughts on the WRX STi?

I went to a Subaru dealer the other day to see if they had any BRZs available; no surprise that they didn't have any on hand. However, the salesman showed me a WRX STi in Plasma Blue Pearl, which I thought was great. Prior to the BRZ, I've always entertained the idea of getting a STi so that I'd have something to get me up to Tahoe during the winter. The STi has plenty of power, a manual transmission, and all-weather capability.

Are there any other cars I should should consider or should I pull the trigger on a 2013 model?
Old 08-19-12, 04:24 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The WRX (non STI) is 99% of an STI for 10k less. Something to think about.
Old 08-19-12, 07:32 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I'd lowball them and try to get a crazy deal on the STi, if not, walk....jet is right, $35K is too much to pay for this car IMO for just 40 more HP.
Old 08-19-12, 07:41 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

STI has more things than just 40 more hp: 18" wheels, LSD, 6spd, better suspension and brakes
Old 08-19-12, 02:13 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts

don't the WRX and STI have similar 0-60 times too?

Personally they're way to close IMO. STI should have closer to 350hp I think
Old 08-19-12, 09:26 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

The STI will always be the top. I have driven a few and I love them. They are just as fast as the EVOs with a bit more oversteer under hard cornering but the torque delivery on the STI is a bit more usable than that of the EVO. Its an amazing car at an amazing price. I agree, you should try to low ball them on the STI
Old 08-19-12, 09:53 PM
flubyux2
Driver School Candidate

the entire chassis is different on the STI

i can compare both side to side since both my friends each own a 2012 WRX and STi

the wrx wont have the spherical ball joints that mount the suspension components to the body. the turbo's are different, the blocks are different. the STI has dual AVCS where the WRX only has AVCS on the intake cams. the WRX has the older LegacyGT top mount intake and splitter. the STI has its own intercooler and splitter ducting to the hood. the SI drive on the STI gives 3 very distinct tune's where the WRX doesnt get this. the STI gives you ALOT more than just brembo's, 18's, an extra gear and extra hp for the $9000 price jump. its worthy EVERY bit of the $34000 (if you avoid the "limited"; imo, the nav, fog lights, interior and sunroof isnt worth it).

its way more car than the Evo, especially since the evo is becoming overpriced. the build quality is definitly better as well as the the everyday feel of driving it and just sitting it.
Old 08-20-12, 01:00 AM
2BENVD
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

They've been growing on me more and more lately, I've driven one and I must say it's a blast! If you stumble upon a good deal, see if you can make it a great deal and take one home.
Old 08-20-12, 04:51 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

if the OP was interested in a BRZ in the first place then I think the WRX rather than the STI would suffice.
Old 08-20-12, 07:37 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

isnt next gen WRX/STi coming next year?
Old 08-20-12, 07:44 AM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

everyones talk about performance but keep in mind the maintenance cost of the Subaru
Old 08-20-12, 07:51 AM
1JZsoarer
Driver

When I was a car salesmen at the local Subaru dealership, I would tell the same thing to every single customer: will you really go on the track so that the difference matters? Yes the STI has brembos (so what, on the street the WRX is MORE than enough, again MORE than enough) which will only proove to be more costly to maintain. Yes the STI has 18'', so what again, nothing you can't change. The STI has a limited-slip differential, again no big deal for the street.

In term of powers, on the street from 0-100 km/h, the WRX will be in front, just because its lighter and only 5 speeds instead of 6. For the person that said that the STI has 3 different settings, I mean really? If you really care about a gizmo that will only give you 70% of the power for a 5% fuel economy, you have to learn how to drive.The only thing that is cool about that is that you can change where the power goes, more to the front or more to the back of the car.

I would buy a WRX and skip the STI. Save the 10k, or better yet, invest it in nice wheels and turbo upgrades.
Old 08-20-12, 09:57 AM
MadMax96
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 1sWt2GS
everyones talk about performance but keep in mind the maintenance cost of the Subaru
Not to mention the insurance costs! I'm pretty sure once your agent hears you say "STi" they actually hear ka-ching ka-ching in their heads!
Old 08-20-12, 10:37 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Don't get an STi if comfort is even a remote consideration. Its ride and noise-level is not quite as punishing as that in Evos (particularly last-generation Evos), but still plenty uncomfortable.

Having said that, if you want a classic rally-type car, have a relatively smooth surface to drive it on, don't mind the noise and what insurance premiums might cost for it (especially if you're young single male), then go for it.....Evos and STIs can be a blast to drive. For winter, though, if you get slippery roads, you might need winter or all-season tires even with the Subaru/Mitsubishi AWD systems. The standard rubber on these cars, despite Subaru's traditional winter-marketing, is primarily meant for dry roads.
Old 08-20-12, 11:46 AM
Megafast13
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

LOL at the people who have no idea what the STi package is. smh.

Subie's are amazing machines.

Quick Reply: Opinions on the Subaru WRX STi wanted