Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Autobild: First Lexus comparo win in the history (GS450h vs BMW ACH5 vs M35h)

Old 08-22-12, 11:48 AM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good win. Even without F-Sport the GS manages to outshine the competition in driving dynamics. And there's no doubt Toyota is ahead of the game when it comes to hybrids, even without Li-ion batteries. Hopefully someone would post the scans (and full translations too ) as I'd really love to read the details of what Autobild has to say.

On the other hand, the GS450h lost to the 535d M-Sport and the A6 3.0 BiTDI S-line in AutoExpress's recent comparo. Wish they'd tested the F-Sport instead but the GS450h did post the worst fuel economy and worst straight-line performance figures in that particular test.
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/lexus/g...s-gs-vs-rivals

Last edited by ydooby; 08-22-12 at 12:03 PM.
Old 08-23-12, 07:04 AM
LexFather

^^^ Thanks for the link!

Old 08-23-12, 09:22 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by ydooby
Good win. Even without F-Sport the GS manages to outshine the competition in driving dynamics. And there's no doubt Toyota is ahead of the game when it comes to hybrids, even without Li-ion batteries. Hopefully someone would post the scans (and full translations too ) as I'd really love to read the details of what Autobild has to say.

On the other hand, the GS450h lost to the 535d M-Sport and the A6 3.0 BiTDI S-line in AutoExpress's recent comparo. Wish they'd tested the F-Sport instead but the GS450h did post the worst fuel economy and worst straight-line performance figures in that particular test.
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/lexus/g...s-gs-vs-rivals
GSh was slowest in Autobild comparo too... it didnt win because of the best engine actually.
Same goes for Autoexpress - they say all of them are fast enough.

But why do you test non-F-Sport against M-Sport?

Oh I see now... they tested base GS... lol. So nothing but AVS... not dynamic dumpers, no DRS... no big brakes, no 18 way seats, etc, etc.

It’s a conservative-looking executive saloon which blends into the background rather than announcing its arrival. This isn’t unusual for Lexus, and some customers no doubt like the company’s low-key approach; it’s just a pity the GS already looks so dated.

It’s a similar story once you step inside the cabin. There’s no faulting the quality of the leather, inlays and trim, and – as you would expect in a Lexus – everything is faultlessly put together. Yet the design appears a bit too old-fashioned.

The upper section of the dashboard is focused around the 12.3-inch colour screen, but the way the plastics blend down into the display isn’t as neat a solution as the A6’s automatically retracting flat-screen. And while Lexus’ computer mouse-inspired Remote Touch Interface controller has been improved, it’s still over-sensitive and not as easy to use as the Audi and BMW systems.

There are other niggles, too. The electric park brake button is hidden away below the steering wheel, while the temperature read-out for the air-conditioning looks like it’s from an eighties’ digital watch. And although the steering column’s telescopic reach has been increased by 50mm, the Lexus still doesn’t have as wide a range of steering and seat adjustment as its rivals here.
For instance Autobild said that GS had better rear seats than 5 series, not because of space available but because of best seating position... apparently you sit lower at the back in 5 series so it is not as comfy.
Old 10-12-12, 05:41 PM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Found the original PDF and converted the pages to images. Can anyone help translate the final scoring table please?

Last edited by ydooby; 10-12-12 at 05:49 PM.
Old 10-12-12, 05:54 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

copy and paste to google translate, from pdf... easiest way.
Old 10-12-12, 06:07 PM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by spwolf
copy and paste to google translate, from pdf... easiest way.
Good idea, except that I can't seem to copy the text with German encoding from Acrobat for some reason as the text becomes all garbage when pasted into the browser. Perhaps someone with a different OS/Acrobat setup can give it a try? Maybe it's a security feature of Acrobat?

http://uploaded.net/file/z3kjdixh

Last edited by ydooby; 10-12-12 at 06:10 PM.
Old 10-12-12, 06:27 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ydooby
Good idea, except that I can't seem to copy the text with German encoding from Acrobat for some reason as the text becomes all garbage when pasted into the browser. Perhaps someone with a different OS/Acrobat setup can give it a try? Maybe it's a security feature of Acrobat?

http://uploaded.net/file/z3kjdixh
i think you have excerpts on their website, and with chrome you can turn on auto translation... main points are usually in the slideshows.

I think I mentioned it above, but GS was better in accomodation, engine was smoother, less consumption, better price/warranty, lost on some parts of dynamics and comfort, however they tested the base version for some reason so if they tested F-Sport, it would get better on comfort/equipment/braking but worse on price, so it would probably come out to same conclusion.

in general, scoring card is stupid to look at, i always get the feeling that they adjust point or two depending what result they want.

Lexus was lucky that GS450h came out before german market went down, now it will be pretty hard to win comparo in Autobild if you are not German car... I read some Tiguan vs CX5 review and based on text, CX5 is perfect car, yet Tiguan won for unknown reason (2 months ago CX5 won first test and now it lost 3-4 tests in variou German mags :P).
Old 10-12-12, 07:21 PM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by spwolf
i think you have excerpts on their website, and with chrome you can turn on auto translation... main points are usually in the slideshows.

I think I mentioned it above, but GS was better in accomodation, engine was smoother, less consumption, better price/warranty, lost on some parts of dynamics and comfort, however they tested the base version for some reason so if they tested F-Sport, it would get better on comfort/equipment/braking but worse on price, so it would probably come out to same conclusion.

in general, scoring card is stupid to look at, i always get the feeling that they adjust point or two depending what result they want.

Lexus was lucky that GS450h came out before german market went down, now it will be pretty hard to win comparo in Autobild if you are not German car... I read some Tiguan vs CX5 review and based on text, CX5 is perfect car, yet Tiguan won for unknown reason (2 months ago CX5 won first test and now it lost 3-4 tests in variou German mags :P).
After manually typing in some of the words in the Google Translator, I'm getting a better idea of what the scoring card is trying to say--BMW is a better car if cost is not a factor and Lexus wins based on value. Not a surprising verdict from a German magazine after all.