Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Autobild: First Lexus comparo win in the history (GS450h vs BMW ACH5 vs M35h)

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-12, 11:11 AM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

are the HID not true bi-xenon?
Old 08-18-12, 11:21 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
are the HID not true bi-xenon?
listed under standard features...

Bi-XenonTM High-Intensity Discharge (HID) headlamps with LED daytime running lights and dynamic auto-leveling
Old 08-18-12, 02:53 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
Too bad they didn't choose the model with the full LED lights:

One of the best looking cars in the segment.
they picked base model... it has 8" nav inside and avs... thats about it.... it would have scored a lot better if they had F-Sport Premium model, since it lost a lot of points on braking and features, more than it gained due to the good price. They do have weird scoring, as every other mag, difference in consumption was only given 2 point for instance, which is funny as it was quite large on the other hand Lexus lost 5 points for 2 zone A/C.

Reason they probably picked base model was due to no M-Sport package in BMW (you cant order it at all), but they still had active dampers in BMW and everything else that was possible to get.

i just cant imagine not getting those 18 way seats for instance, once you try them, or active suspension in GS450h, or 12.3" screen or ML :-)
Old 08-18-12, 03:06 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I never understand how they pick the winners, when I read these reviews I feel like Im studying for an exam cause I will read something about the GS and immediately think I could have sworn they said something similar about the BMW and Infiniti

I read the article, and once again it seems like all 3 of these cars have overlapping qualities and features, and the people make decisions based on preference.

I will say the Jaguar comment was pretty interesting
Old 08-18-12, 04:47 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by <VENOM>
I never understand how they pick the winners, when I read these reviews I feel like Im studying for an exam cause I will read something about the GS and immediately think I could have sworn they said something similar about the BMW and Infiniti

I read the article, and once again it seems like all 3 of these cars have overlapping qualities and features, and the people make decisions based on preference.

I will say the Jaguar comment was pretty interesting
thats because full article is only in the print magazine :-).

bmw and lexus were close by 4 points, but Infiniti was back by 50.

they have this elaborate point scoring system based on 7 different main criteria, and 5-10 insdie them for the total of 600 points. As you can imagine it leaves possibilities for "fine tuning", and as I said, difference in consumption was given 2 points while difference in A/C was given 5 points :-).
Old 08-18-12, 05:01 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by spwolf

:-).
Comparisons have been pretty level with the GS/5 on top and the M routinely a distant last. They might need to ditch that super shared platform for its own.

Lexus did an amazing job with this GS and it is the drivers car of the group. Amazing

Old 08-18-12, 05:39 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
listed under standard features...

Bi-XenonTM High-Intensity Discharge (HID) headlamps with LED daytime running lights and dynamic auto-leveling
usually there is a misconception as to what Bi-xenon means. Lexus states on their website that their cars are bi-xenon but in the past only the LS and GS and other higher end models were. They had a total of 4 bulbs so that their high beams were HID too. The picture of the GS here looks like there are only one on each side
Old 08-18-12, 11:13 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

they have this elaborate point scoring system based on 7 different main criteria, and 5-10 insdie them for the total of 600 points. As you can imagine it leaves possibilities for "fine tuning", and as I said, difference in consumption was given 2 points while difference in A/C was given 5 points :-).
thank you for clarifying that, Im surprised the GS did do well considering the Germans only like their cars

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Comparisons have been pretty level with the GS/5 on top and the M routinely a distant last. They might need to ditch that super shared platform for its own.

Lexus did an amazing job with this GS and it is the drivers car of the group. Amazing
Most people are using these as comfortable cruiser to get to and from the office so all these comparisons are essentially pointless, honestly these are all great cars and I have driven all of them and prefer them for different reasons, one for every day of the week would be nice

Originally Posted by RXSF
usually there is a misconception as to what Bi-xenon means. Lexus states on their website that their cars are bi-xenon but in the past only the LS and GS and other higher end models were. They had a total of 4 bulbs so that their high beams were HID too. The picture of the GS here looks like there are only one on each side
Infiniti has a flap that moves and the HID shines into the sky
Old 08-19-12, 02:56 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

thank you for clarifying that, Im surprised the GS did do well considering the Germans only like their cars

Most people are using these as comfortable cruiser to get to and from the office so all these comparisons are essentially pointless, honestly these are all great cars and I have driven all of them and prefer them for different reasons, one for every day of the week would be nice

i am surprised too... especially since before they scored so poorly... for instance XF was not tested against competition but rather against near-luxury cars like Peugeot 508, and finished up 5th. On the other hand, when you read any British mag , XF is car that world turns around and best in class in any comparo.

:-)
Old 08-19-12, 12:42 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

ITs not the first win in history. Plus who reads auto bild????? I subscribe to 11 different automotive publications and have never even heard of this magazine. I tend to go with CAR, EVO, etc for the euro mags
Old 08-19-12, 01:00 PM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

The significance is that Autobild is German and sorry but even in Singapore, I've heard of this magazine.

For a German car magazine to prefer another nationality's car over its own vaunted German car is pretty significant I would say.

Side-point :

Oh yes, where is Ice350 ? Does he want to accuse Autobild of being on the take too (since he accused MotorTrend of being on the take after the GS450h beat the Panamera hybrid in Motortrend's head-to-head comparison).

Here is where he made his claim that Lexus had bribed their way to a win over the Panamera hybrid and the Infiniti M35h :

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/7258870-post46.html

Last edited by natnut; 08-19-12 at 01:15 PM.
Old 08-19-12, 01:39 PM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

they picked base model... it has 8" nav inside and avs... thats about it.... it would have scored a lot better if they had F-Sport Premium model, since it lost a lot of points on braking and features, more than it gained due to the good price. They do have weird scoring, as every other mag, difference in consumption was only given 2 point for instance, which is funny as it was quite large on the other hand Lexus lost 5 points for 2 zone A/C.

Reason they probably picked base model was due to no M-Sport package in BMW (you cant order it at all), but they still had active dampers in BMW and everything else that was possible to get.

i just cant imagine not getting those 18 way seats for instance, once you try them, or active suspension in GS450h, or 12.3" screen or ML :-)
But if you look at the cars as priced in the article, a GS450h F-Sport would still be cheaper than the as-tested hybrid 5 series. If even a base GS450h could out-handle the 5 series, imagine how much more dynamic an F-Sport GS hybrid would be compared to the BMW hybrid (and still cheaper!).
Old 08-19-12, 02:15 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

What's a magazine?

Anyway gs on a review roll
Old 08-19-12, 05:33 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
ITs not the first win in history. Plus who reads auto bild????? I subscribe to 11 different automotive publications and have never even heard of this magazine. I tend to go with CAR, EVO, etc for the euro mags
FYI, Autobild is Worlds biggest car magazine, syndicated across europe (AutoExpress is Autobild UK) and sells 7 million copies, per month. Thats more than all of those mags you mentioned + MT/C&D/Automobile do per year, combined together.
Old 08-19-12, 06:18 PM
LexFather

Oh this is hilarious!! So all those years trolls and people bashed Lexus b/c it wasn't as sporty as the competition are now saying "oh people don't drive like that anyway"

So it seems when Lexus isn't sporty it's a big issue but when Lexus is sportiest in class now the bar is moved to "oh who drives sporty"

Utterly hilarious to see people now use the same argument Past Lexus owners stated.

Quick Reply: Autobild: First Lexus comparo win in the history (GS450h vs BMW ACH5 vs M35h)